UT99 Translocator - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CognizanCe View Post
    That video expands on what I've been saying.
    All the skill of the combat of UT becomes nothing but translocating your way to the flag.
    -And worst of all, as usual, there's ONE GUY who's better at doing that.
    It takes away strategizing, teamwork and coordination and turns it into nothing but "I know a quick way to get to the base".

What's UT without the combat?
    A translocator fest.
    I think its is clear that you have never played competitive CTF. To stay that the translocator takes away from strategy and teamwork is ludicrous. To say that matches "are nothing but translocating" is simply 100% wrong.

The translocator allows you to and the rest of your team to position yourself as best as possible for the situation at hand. This is the epitome of teamwork and strategy.

The translocator allows you to get to the action, with a weapon, almost instantly. This is enhances combat, excitement, and the adrenaline rush that is core to the UT series.

The last thing that a lot of people are forgetting is how vulnerable you truly are while translocating. Both you and your trans are susceptible to damage at all times; and even after you decide to stop translocating to stand and fight it takes time to pull out a weapon leaving you to only your movement jukes.

Comment

UT99 Translocator hands down
      If noobs can't handle it -> Mutator No Translocator or Mutator Charge Translocator

Comment

Originally posted by minteK View Post
        Then the original version of the translocator is better suited for you, since it can be used as a weapon to actually kill people and usable enough to rely on more than just random luck. CTF players are bound to be using the fastest way to travel to the action what ever version of the weapon is used, therefore it does not matter if it has charges or not in that fashion. If anything it just makes it even more boring to watch, since it just turns into a transportation device, might as well make it a flying skateboard. The quicker the translocator is, the quicker people are back into fighting mode, like in the original game. The smoother and more predictable the arc is, the more it turns into a legitimate weapon in the right hands when seconds matters.
        Not at all. I made my comments from watching a UT99 match.
        What I want to see in a translocator:
        • It can be used in deathmatch or other non-CTF game modes without breaking the gameplay. Most of this would probably follow from the next points, but in case it doesn't I'll leave this point open.
        • It should be risky or dangerous to use in or near a fight. Other players should have the power to stop you from xlocing past them.
        • It will not dominate the game or a player's actions when used skillfully. A player's use of weapons, the impact hammer, jump pads and other forms of movement should take priority when available.

None of these apply to the UT99 xloc, and they don't apply to any of the other xlocs either.
        It's funny you mentioned a flying skateboard, because the hoverboard does fit all three points... Its cardinal sin is that it can't be used 'skillfully', making it awfully boring. Would having the xloc in ONS have been a better choice?

Comment

Originally posted by Dementiurge View Post
          Would having the xloc in ONS have been a better choice?
          Try it for yourself. (in UT2004)
          IMHO the Translocator is a good alternative if the map doesn't contain the kind of vehicles the Hoverboard benefits from. For UT3 Jailbreak we came up with a flexible setup that allowed mappers to suggest a transportation device, but the player/admin could override the suggestion with a set of mutators. We even created location-specific transportation restrictions. (The idea of restricted Translocator use dates back all the way to UT1JB3.)
          <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
          <TNSe> nono
          <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
          <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
          <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
          <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Not at all. I made my comments from watching a UT99 match.
            What I want to see in a translocator:
            • It can be used in deathmatch or other non-CTF game modes without breaking the gameplay. Most of this would probably follow from the next points, but in case it doesn't I'll leave this point open.
            • It should be risky or dangerous to use in or near a fight. Other players should have the power to stop you from xlocing past them.
            • It will not dominate the game or a player's actions when used skillfully. A player's use of weapons, the impact hammer, jump pads and other forms of movement should take priority when available.

None of these apply to the UT99 xloc, and they don't apply to any of the other xlocs either.
            It's funny you mentioned a flying skateboard, because the hoverboard does fit all three points... Its cardinal sin is that it can't be used 'skillfully', making it awfully boring. Would having the xloc in ONS have been a better choice?
            That's the thing. It is dangerous to trans around when the opposition is shooting at you (or even at your teamates). One combo that hits your tele and it's dead. You will likely hit the translocator button and kill yourself or be forced to only run since it's damaged. You can see this happening in that hat trick video linked above.

Also, the translocator is off by default in TDM and 1v1.
            Last edited by sLY1838; 05-11-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Hi folks,

We're eager to hear all points of view. Please don't attack each other or we'll have to start handing out warnings.

Thank you!
              Stacey Conley
              -----------------------------
              Unreal Tournament Community Manager
              Epic Games, Inc.
              Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

how about instead we use a grappling gun...impale and drag back opponent
                always liked that idea...as for TL I,m neither fussed or not...I enjoyed using it but anyone that has lag with that in play is at a pretty big disadvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
                  If you could only take one thing from UT99, please let it be the translocator. The speed, size, trajectory, and unlimited throws are crucial to the core competitive play of CTF. The ability to make REALISTIC clutch telefrag flag save returns on the stand, the ability to telepunt across a map, the ability to fly swiftly through the air like you are a blissful eagle... this is CRUCIAL to a successful competitive CTF gametype. The UT99 tele was one of the best WEAPONS in the game (not just a tool like in UT2004).

However, some newbs might think a trans limit is necessary, so they should certainly have the OPTION to turn ON a limit on their server.

Good video to get the point across on the tele: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SVRl873pdE
                  I agree. The UT99 trans-locator seemed to be the best. I thought 2k4's trans was a bit too low-gravity, but UT3 had the UT99-like translocator. Also, unlimited trans should be OFF by default. Competitive CTF would get unfair seeing someone chasing the flag-carrier across the map using as many translocations as he/she desires.
                  Steam
                  irc.globalgamers.net #galaxy #unrealtournament #ut4pugs
                  UT Username - nvz
                  gg! Galaxy Gaming Community

SPECS
                  || Core i5-4670k @ 4.2 gHz || ASUS GTX 1070 4GB VRAM ||ASUS VG248QE ‑ 24in 144Hz || Random 54 inch TV || Mouse - Razer Deathadder Chroma || Keyboard - Microsoft Sindwinder X4 || Case - Cyberpower Titan X || 16 gb DDR3 RAM || Logitech g930 Wireless Surround sound Headset || Steelseries QCK heavy + Mouse pad ||

#PREALPHA

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                    Hi folks,

We're eager to hear all points of view. Please don't attack each other or we'll have to start handing out warnings.

Thank you!
                    No problem.

Comment

I played competitively in leagues for UT99, 2k3, 2k4, and the short lived UT3. The translocator experience in UT99 was by far the best.

Comment

99 Translocator is an absolute must - the sequels ruined this mechanic for me.

There is no greater thrill than telefragging the enemy flag carrier JUST as they are about to cap.
                        M-M-M-MONSTER KILL..Kill...kill

Comment

Originally posted by sLY1838 View Post
                          That's the thing. It is dangerous to trans around when the opposition is shooting at you (or even at your teamates). One combo that hits your tele and it's dead. You will likely hit the translocator button and kill yourself or be forced to only run since it's damaged. You can see this happening in that hat trick video linked above.

Also, the translocator is off by default in TDM and 1v1.
                          In my perspective, "dangerous" is where the danger is greater than normal (as otherwise the word dangerous has no meaning because there is always danger). If you're using the xloc, you can be taken out by one combo or other well-placed explosion, but it reduces your exposure to other threats. The net effect is that it makes it harder for other players to stop you, not easier.

Comment

In my perspective, "dangerous" is where the danger is greater than normal (as otherwise the word dangerous has no meaning because there is always danger). If you're using the xloc, you can be taken out by one combo or other well-placed explosion, but it reduces your exposure to other threats. The net effect is that it makes it harder for other players to stop you, not easier.
                            It depends on the map. Transing through mid on Mcswartzly with nothing but a tele is very difficult. However, transing into an orbital base while hiding behind pillars as your tele is flying through the air... that's a bit safer (but it does take experience/skill to do this effectively, otherwise it's just as dangerous as the Mcswartzly example above).

Comment

Originally posted by Hyncharas View Post
                              UT without a Translocator brings much more strategy to deathmatches; I don't mind if private servers use it as a mod, but I don't think Epic should make one for this version.
                              There was never a translocator in DM, this is not what is being discussed here.

Comment

The trans limit in ut99 is a shock combo or headshot. videos of notable telefrags don't highlight the usual gameplay.

re: translocating as a means of avoiding combat
                                Translocating allows players to avoid -some- combat. It increases the amount of combat over tactical ground, and decreases the amount of combat in empty rooms and similar areas that offer no advantage when getting a kill. The realistic result of this is large, chaotic battles at CRUCIAL times, as opposed to a stream of anticlimactic, minor battles. I think these climactic scenarios are the invisible source of so many UT99 players' passion for the translocator. It just feels. so. good to clash in these team battles and win. I will try to find some clips to support my argument, and get them uploaded to youtube.
                                Last edited by histortion; 05-12-2014, 12:05 AM.
                                "History is written by the victors"

Comment

Working...
                                X