UT99 Translocator - Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Telepunting, easy/luck-based telefragging and countless juke-unsolicited mail are far extra "damaged" than having limitless charges. There's no stamina bar for dodging, no fuel limit on motors, no 5 2d respawn postpone in any gametype. "Ammo" for the Translocator is simply an unintuitive way of balancing it. The rate restriction does not even absolutely solve these problems to begin with but it simply hurts and breaks down the quick-paced and aggressive nature of CTF in UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's missing the features that UT99's translocator had. It was the most in depth version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Its made of lead :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i reckon the translocator is great, what's wrong with it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry for bringing a 1.5 year old thread up but...

I think the community really had a point when the majority wanted something close to the UT99 translocator.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No if you died it's the job of your other defender or your offense to grab and stall until you can make it back.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
    I don't know ctf too well, but wouldn't being able to catch up to them after they killed you in the "center" of the map be a bad thing anyway? I can understand if I killed them near their base, being able to catch up to them if you have an active team resisting the enemies flag carriers push forward, or if the map has complex architecture, but not if its a straight line like face is. Personally, I should not expect to see a person who i killed in mid to give me any more struggle in face, especially when the center itself blocks a lot of line of sight.. My reward for killing them at the center of the map should be the fact that I wont have to worry about them.
    I suppose that whether or not it is a good thing depends on what your goal is. If the goal is to create as much action as possible, it's a bad thing. Your spend more time traveling. That means less flag grabs, les encounters during the flag run, less last second saves, etc. What really made the last build was the constant urgency. By the time you got to half time you almost needed the break in action. It was a unique dynamic that made it my favorite CTF of the series. The reduction in tl disk speed slows the pace considerably.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Numb.51 View Post
    I don't know ctf too well, but wouldn't being able to catch up to them after they killed you in the "center" of the map be a bad thing anyway? I can understand if I killed them near their base, being able to catch up to them if you have an active team resisting the enemies flag carriers push forward, or if the map has complex architecture, but not if its a straight line like face is. Personally, I should not expect to see a person who i killed in mid to give me any more struggle in face, especially when the center itself blocks a lot of line of sight.. My reward for killing them at the center of the map should be the fact that I wont have to worry about them.
    I don't think so, it's something that adds to the intensity of CTF and is one of the most distinguishing things about the game mode in UT. I like it being that way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
    I played upwards of four hours last night, and I feel the changes expose all the issues that have been covered in this thread. My biggest issue is the reduction in travel time. It adds two seconds when you are trying to stop a flag carrier on Face. If they kill you at the center you cannot stop them before capping. No more last second saves.

But the new values just make you incredibly difficult to hit. It's easier to get into the flag room and take the flag simply because they can't keep up with how much you warp around.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by chicken- View Post
    I for one think the trans is headed in the right direction. You now have to work to get across a map, and the throws are short/slow enough that people can track you and take you out if you do it too predictably. Fine tuning is needed, but it's much better than what it was 2 weeks ago that's for sure. You can absolutely hit the limit, but it recharges fast enough that I won't cry about it if it stays around where it is, but I still think that's not needed at all.

We need to get some CTF pugs going on IRC, I'd like to play some organized games to really give some opinions now that the game is in a more playable state. I haven't found more than 2 people in a server at a time when I've tried.
    I agree with everything you said. And hit me up on irc when you try to get a pug going. It would be awesome to play with people that are the same skill level. It was fun playing last week with paco, mess, and cafe!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I for one think the trans is headed in the right direction. You now have to work to get across a map, and the throws are short/slow enough that people can track you and take you out if you do it too predictably. Fine tuning is needed, but it's much better than what it was 2 weeks ago that's for sure. You can absolutely hit the limit, but it recharges fast enough that I won't cry about it if it stays around where it is, but I still think that's not needed at all.

We need to get some CTF pugs going on IRC, I'd like to play some organized games to really give some opinions now that the game is in a more playable state. I haven't found more than 2 people in a server at a time when I've tried.
    Last edited by chicken-; 11-16-2014, 02:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I played upwards of four hours last night, and I feel the changes expose all the issues that have been covered in this thread. My biggest issue is the reduction in travel time. It adds two seconds when you are trying to stop a flag carrier on Face. If they kill you at the center you cannot stop them before capping. No more last second saves.

But the new values just make you incredibly difficult to hit. It's easier to get into the flag room and take the flag simply because they can't keep up with how much you warp around.

You can telefrag a lot easier to boot. The time to translocate is basically how much time they get to try and dodge your projectile. At .3 you were right on the edge of human reflexes. At .25 you telefrag them before they can react. All they can do is move around a lot and hope you predict wrong. This tactic is weaker than it was in UT99 Since the base movement speed is a little less. Of course, the .25 is in line with past UT 2004 values, but the longer throw made it more difficult to predict where they'd be. Not to mention that there's no charges.

And it's particularly effective against new players. It's too easy to predict where they'll go to get the telefrag. We had a few new players this week, but they didn't stay for long.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Played UT4 for the first time yesterday (with numb!) and I kind of like the current TL. I would definitly add a bit of speed and distance but I feel the current values give more opportunities for actual battles.

Bottomline CTF is fun right now(based on a 1.5 games experience)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I played the latest build quite a bit last night. I must admit that I have never played CTF more than a few times in any of the other UT games, but I LOVE ctf in UT4. I've been forced to play it because that's the only thing other players are really playing (besides FFA - which gets quite boring) so i suppose i had no choice but to give it a chance.

Anyway, I like the translocator in the newest build. I don't know where it SHOULD be because of my lack of EXP, but it seems far less OP, and I find myself able to track players a little easier. I'm still getting used to it from the previous build though, but once I do i'll probably love it even more.

The only annoying thing about it so far is its inconsistency in registering. If I translocate really fast, maybe 15% of my throws wont register. I'll teleport, but I will stay in the same spot I threw the disk at. This is more than likely a known issue though.

I just love ctf now. I can't imagine myself ever playing TDM seriously unless they change things, because TDM is really stale in comparison.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I wasn't a big fan of the TL in UT, I liked it okay but IMO that was one big improvement in 2kX. Unfortunately, with the values the way they are right now you might as well set the charges to a billion, increase the arc, shorten the distance a bit more and go back to UT values completely. It feels awful for me, it doesn't move fast enough by any stretch, it doesn't go far enough by any stretch, and even with charges you can do everything you could do with the UT TL that annoyed people.

I don't see how anyone could hit the charge limit. I can tl almost as fast as I want and still never run out of charges. They are pointless. The only thing keeping people from going completely insane with the TL right now is that the disc is so easy to destroy. IMO this is totally the wrong direction for the TL to go. It was overpowered before but much more fun to use.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X