Item spawn times

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Item spawn times

The current item spawn times are 60s for belt and 30s for armor/pads etc. These are way too easy to time in duel. It results in people diving onto pu spawns on the exact second with no calculation. With the classic 55s 27.5 you can get thrown off easily with the times as it makes it more difficult to time items.

E.g. UT4 take sb 6.20 it spawns 5.20 and 4.20 and so on

With 55s a spawn on 6.20 will be 5.25 and 4.30

udamage (90s) is the same, spawns at 8.30 then 7 then 5.30 etc

Might not sound like much but it adds a bit more depth to the gameplay, the longer the game goes on the more offset the times get, we already have item timers so would be nice to have the times offset again for a little strategic depth

couldn't you leave the spawn times exactly the same, but randomise or modify the initial spawn delay?
    personally don't think it makes that much difference to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by bacon buster View Post
      couldn't you leave the spawn times exactly the same, but randomise or modify the initial spawn delay?
      personally don't think it makes that much difference to be honest.
      That wouldn't change much, say the first belt at is 9.25 the next one is 8.25 7.25 etc

I think it makes a lot of difference over the course of a game, tiny little edges you can gain add up

Comment

where do you rank timing in terms of skills out of the below:

- map knowledge/control
        - movement
        - prediction
        - aim
        - timing

is it really that important? i dunno, i'm not a dueler, i wonder what other duelers think.

Comment

If it's not important they should/can change it

It just off throws the time for the next spawn so its not's as simple as subtracting 1 from the timer or adding 30

It was the same in previous ut games so I don't see why it got changed

It's impossible to rank how important timing is, in a game like quake its essential

Hard to give an example, but with the time not being offset a player can imagine the belt is always around a certain minute, where as with a number like 55 the belt could be 40s off what he thinks, because every minute that passes it builds up ( this isn't taking into account delaying spawns or whatever but just in general, tdm would be a good example where item delay isn't really existent )
          Last edited by nuxx; 04-15-2015, 01:20 AM.

Comment

could these times not create more attacking play, and more fighting over the item itself?

i guess it could also create more spam. i dunno.

Comment

could these times not create more attacking play, and more fighting over the item itself?

i guess it could also create more spam. i dunno.
              I doubt it! As far as I'm concerned timing is a skill, some people think it's easy but I don't agree, especially not vs good players where being out by just a few seconds could cost you dearly. It's an important skillset to have, having the powerups spawn on 30/60s just cheapens it. Visual aids are enough.

No idea if epic intend to leave it as it is, maybe they just haven't got around to it yet

Comment

I really wouldn't mind the simple spawn times if it wasn't also for the spawn indicator. I don't think the meta of timing really added all that much and just raised the skill gap based on something arbitrary (and this is coming from someone strongly in favor of making the game competition worthy). The respawn time being hidden from someone who isn't keeping track of it did however add something meaningful.
                Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

I agree, I wrote the post assuming visual aids are going to be off in competitive play

Another example would be say a high level ctf game where delaying items makes no sense (I know you can delay armor for your flag carrier or whatever, talking in general terms here). If the belt spawns on 60 seconds, and assuming the belt gets taken right away ( which it will with good players ) every player on both teams are going to know when every single belt is going to spawn. With the old 55 secs that doesn't happen, sure some would know, but mainly the guy who took it last and the people around who saw him in their fov. It doesn't require any thinking power to keep track of a number like 60 seconds
                  Last edited by nuxx; 04-15-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

you're speaking from the point of view that timing powerups is an important skill though
                    i don't mind the powerup delay in CTF. i'm sure attackers would prefer to be able to tank for their first cap attempt though

Comment

you're speaking from the point of view that timing powerups is an important skill though
                      i don't mind the powerup delay in CTF. i'm sure attackers would prefer to be able to tank for their first cap attempt though
                      I don't mind the delay either, it's just the numbers used for the subsequent spawn that bug me Good point about PU delay in CTF, never thought of that, should be something that's looked into. Final thing to add before I go, timing rewards good comms and teamplay, I've played in alot of games where opposing teams break down on TS in an intense game, when whining starts to take over and they lose timing of the items and the team with the better discipline/comms just rampage home in the final 5 minutes or whatever. That can only happen if item spawns aren't predictable
                      Last edited by nuxx; 04-15-2015, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Yeah I agree, I still get thrown off sometimes timing things in UT99. For example I only time 100 armor to 30s, which means I'm not going to be there precisely when it spawns. But with round numbers for spawn times it makes it too easy to get the timing perfect every time.

And I really hope the pie chart timers are removed. At least in higher ranked servers.

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                          The current item spawn times are 60s for belt and 30s for armor/pads etc. These are way too easy to time in duel. It results in people diving onto pu spawns on the exact second with no calculation. With the classic 55s 27.5 you can get thrown off easily with the times as it makes it more difficult to time items.

E.g. UT4 take sb 6.20 it spawns 5.20 and 4.20 and so on

With 55s a spawn on 6.20 will be 5.25 and 4.30

udamage (90s) is the same, spawns at 8.30 then 7 then 5.30 etc

Might not sound like much but it adds a bit more depth to the gameplay, the longer the game goes on the more offset the times get, we already have item timers so would be nice to have the times offset again for a little strategic depth
                          I really like your idea, so the person who pays more attention to the "Time-Limit - Game Timer" will be rewarded...
                          WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
                          Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Originally posted by nuxx View Post
                            It was the same in previous ut games so I don't see why it got changed
                            It was a bug because the speed of gameplay in the old games was increased by changing the gameplay clock.
                            DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                              It was a bug because the speed of gameplay in the old games was increased by changing the gameplay clock.
                              In all 4 games? Or do you mean it's a bug in UT4. It's not important now anyway it`ll prolly get looked at eventually just a pet peeve of mine in the game

Comment

Working...
                              X