Shield Belt OP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shield Belt OP?

I realize it's supposed to be a priority, but I don't like it at all. It seems overpowered. I think it should function like armor, where your health still takes damage.
    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

I don't think it is op per se. But the total amount is op. With the new upcoming release, the damage absorption will be increased from 33% to 60% for vest and thighs (shield is 100% = no damage). This is too much IMO.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Default armor went from 33% to 60%, vest and thigh pads went from 75% to 60%.

Comment

Wasn't sure about the previous values, but the total amount (shield max, armor max) is still very high. Which could make the shield belt in addition to other armor types being overpowerd.
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

It should have the same damage absorption as armour. Otherwise you end up with situations where there was a very close belt fight but the player who gets the belt will have a health advantage over his opponent who respawns, despite having taken a fight that could go either way. What the 100% damage absorption does is turn these random outcome fights at the belt into a great situation for 1 player and a terrible situation for the other regardless of how much damage the losing player does.
          :|

Comment

Shield is fine in team games and FFA, it's really only problematic in 1on1 and the whole game shouldn't be balanced around 1on1. Just do like we did for years in NA rules 1on1 and turn shield off.

Comment

Actually i think its exactly the other way. Shield is stronger in TDM because people take it with lower HP more often and benefit from the absorption. At 1v1 its more common too see 100/150 going up against 100/100 guys with shield absorption being less of a factor. at least thats how i feel like it is at ut99. About OP's point... yea i think its pretty powerful if not overpowered. It encourages to rush the pickup on spawns and/or suicide drop on it with low health. I wouldn't mind if it gets removed and i think quakes armor system is better than UT's has ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobe` View Post
                I think quakes armor system is better than UT's has ever been.
                I'd have to agree on this (for duel purposes anyway) I think it would be better to have an entirely separate armour system specifically for duel instead of trying to find a middle ground for what works with 1v1 dm all the way up to 5v5 ctf
                :|

Comment

I wouldn't say it's any more powerful than UT99's belt, but yeah, sometimes it's really annoying as Flikswitch said to damage someone a lot and still get spawnraped because they got the belt.

Comment

The magic of ut99 is that u can balance anyweapon or any stacked guy, u can take off the belt from a guy with a perfect shoot of the sniper or basically can die from 2 very good flak cannion shoots, thats the magic of ut99, wich ut2k4 and ut3 lacks of it... But in first place, who play 1v1 on 2k4? i mean that game was full of people playin custom mods about race and stuff like that, why take that game seriously? no ofence My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by OMARHERRERA89 View Post
                      [...]ut99[...]ut2k4 and ut3[...]
                      And what's the case for UT (alias UT4)?

Comment

Personally I'd like to see them experiment with something like.. 100 shield from shieldbelt or reduce its absorption down to say 80% and armors to max 50%. That'd place more value on vials and health packs in levels and make Keg less op.

Comment

Im assuming that you guys are talking from a Duel point of view because if someone is hogging the belt i sort that problem with the udamage. I always found it silly that udamage is not used in duels as this is the perfect way to regain control.
                          Join the community Facebook page
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

It's the perfect way to never lose control and increase the score gap even more.

Comment

Another thing i notice is it should be 25,50,100... now its like 100 for small belt if i am correct, makes no sense for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X