Native Music Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Native Music Player

I would really like to see a simple digital MP3/Music player built into the game. I often times really enjoy and play a lot better when I am listening to music while I play. In the past I just fired up old winamp would have that running in the background, but if need to adjust the volume/change tracks or anything else, you needed to minimize UT. Having a built in Music player that I can add/remove songs from a play list, adjust volume and change tracks on the fly in game would be awesome.

Also what about maybe a partnership with like SlackerRadio or some other free online streaming music service? That would be even more amazing.
    PayBack

Winamp does have global hot keys for turning the volume up/down, and now I remember: Ctrl+Alt + Arrow Up/Down
    Some engines, like the one used by Skyrim, break these shortcuts.

MP3 may have some relevant licensing issues, though I don't know the entire legal landscape here, just this:
    "Games using mp3 encoded content are licensed on a per-title basis. However, no license fees are due if less than 5 000 copies of a particular game title are distributed. "
    http://mp3licensing.com/help/developers.html

Comment

Originally posted by -jay- View Post
      I would really like to see a simple digital MP3/Music player built into the game. I often times really enjoy and play a lot better when I am listening to music while I play. In the past I just fired up old winamp would have that running in the background, but if need to adjust the volume/change tracks or anything else, you needed to minimize UT. Having a built in Music player that I can add/remove songs from a play list, adjust volume and change tracks on the fly in game would be awesome.

Also what about maybe a partnership with like SlackerRadio or some other free online streaming music service? That would be even more amazing.
      A better solution to this is to have a frameless windowed mode. Most Source Engine games have this as an option and it makes alt-tabbing to change music, check email, etc. very easy and painless. I think it's more of an engine-level feature though.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        [...]I accidentally stumbled upon a chat transcript of an Epic QA session during the UT3 development time (lots of familiar faces all around ): http://img0.liveinternet.ru/images/a...c_chitchat.txt
        [04:22] <[Epic]DrSiN> Not for ship, but it might come later if there is a real demand. Honestly (and remember I wrote the UT2K4 music player) I prefer to use WinAmp
        I don't think that any current dev will implement it... i think you can exchange WinAmp with any music-streaming servive these days
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
          A better solution to this is to have a frameless windowed mode. Most Source Engine games have this as an option and it makes alt-tabbing to change music, check email, etc. very easy and painless. I think it's more of an engine-level feature though.
          You mean fake/GPU fullscreen. That's an SDL2 feature, all games that use it can make use of that and are encouraged to. (I'm not sure about Windows, but UE4 uses SDL2 on Linux, at least.)

Personally, I have a keyboard with media controls, so a built-in player would be rather pointless for me... Not to mention that UT4 looks to have really awesome music anyway
          Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
          My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Working...
          X