Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betrayal for UT4 [Gametype][Port][InstagibOnly]

Betrayal for UT4
    A port of the Unreal Tournament 3 gametype Betrayal.

Key features:
    • Instagib only gametype
    • Semi team play
    • Custom sounds and textures (ported from UT3)
    • Player beacons including player score
    • Bot AI betraying team mates
    • Scoreboard showing daggers (and other stats)
    • HUD showing game type info like team, current pot and roque players
    • Additional stats for player cards

What's Betrayal:

Betrayal is a new instagib game type that pits players against each other while they cooperate in temporary alliances. Only one player is the final winner, and the difference between victory and defeat often lies in knowing when to betray your teammates.

A score above opponents' heads reflect their value if you gib them using the primary fire of your instagib rifle. Current teammates are blue, and every kill by a teammate adds one point to the team pot, which is shown at the top of your HUD. Teammates can betray each other using the alternate fire of the rifle, which shoots a blue beam. Assassinating a teammate gives the assassin both the score over that player's head, plus all the points accrued in the team pot.

However, the assassin becomes a Rogue for 30 seconds, during which he is not on any team, and his former teammates can garner a score bonus for achieving retribution by killing him. The score above a Rogue's head is red for his former teammates. Once the rogue timer has counted down, the rogue will automatically join a new team when teammates are available.

Daggers beside each player's name shows the number of times that player has betrayed his teammates. Watch your back around teammates; you'll often see players pause and check each other out as they enter a room together.

Sometimes, players may try to goad a teammate into killing them by shooting blue beams by their ear when the team pot is small, hoping to later cash in on the retribution bonus. As the players near victory, they'll often try to time a final betrayal to send them over the top.

Notes:
    Betrayal is a gametype in UT3 which was added by the Titan Pack patch. If you aren't familiar with Betrayal or want to know what the gametype is all about, check the Liandri archive for information or watch the Guide To Betrayal video (by HenrikRyosa).

Spoiler

Screens:

Betrayal fire modes:

General HUD:

Various beacons above players (with transparency):

Team Players with bright skin: Game Messages:
    Scoreboard with highlighted team mates: Player card with additional stats for Betrayal:
    Info:
    Size: ~ 0.513 - 9.72 MB
    Compatibility: Build 2771652 (11/19/2015)
    Type: C++
    Credits: Epic Games

Download: (Mirror | Source | Rushbase)

Installation:
    • Extract the zip file to your Unreal Tournament folder (differs for the server installation):
      Code:
      UnrealTournamentDev\

Important note about multiplayer:
    As this gametype is created in C++ (and not Blueprint), server admins and clients need to download package on their own as there's no auto-download for custom binary plugins (just like Sir_Brizz' movement prototyper).

Usage:
    Method 1:
    • Start the game
    • Choose a custom game
    • Select the game mode Betrayal
    • Choose any map you like and play the game
    • Enjoy.

Method 2:
    • Add the following line to the command line arguments (or your shortcut, server command line, ...):
      Code:
      ?game=UTBetrayal.UTBetrayalGameMode
    • Start the game

Changelog:
    v0.2.0:
    • Fixed: Bots still betray after their team has betrayed
    • Fixed: Nemesis updated correctly for betrayed player
    • Fixed: Tracking highest pot for the instigator player
    • Added: Tracking lowest and highest pots for each player
    • Added: Mutator support for CheckRelevance
    • Added: Additional rogue score, penalty exposed as game option
    • Added: Allowing pickups (non-timed) as game option
    • Changed: Updated code for latest build
    • Changed: Re-enabled leader hat

v0.1.4:
    • Changed: Minor code improvements

v0.1.3:
    • Changed: No teams with less players than 3
    • Changed: Don't apply team color on dedicated servers
    • Fixed: Bots not shooting at team mates if there are no other players
    • Fixed: Team color not changing when teams are dissolved

v0.1.2:
    • Changed: Removed Force-respawn option from game options
    • Changed: Betrayal tab in player cards removed and integrated into Score tab (temporarily)
    • Changed: Repositioned kill feed messages
    • Added: Stat counting for weapon alt kills, alt deaths, hits and shots
    • Fixed: Team color not set and replicated properly
    • Fixed: Team color is removed on damage (falling, etc.)
    • Fixed: PostRender beacon does not work reliable
    • Fixed: Muzzle flash for InstaGib rifle
    • Fixed: Missing hand animation for InstaGib rifle
    • Fixed: Possible memory leak in hub sessions

v0.1.1
    • Added: Linux support
    • Fixed: Compiling for Linux using CLANG

Source code / contributions:
    The source code of this gametype is actually publicly available. I've created a dedicated thread serveral weeks ago. With the ongoing improvement of Unreal Tournament, I liked to publish the gametype to be playable for the client build. There we are we now. If you feel to improve the gametype or fixing issues with the gametype, or just simply like to contribute, feel free to create pull requests on GitHub or post to that specific thread (which is more about development in comparison to this thread which is design/discussion related about the gameplay of the gametype).
    Older versions:

Feel free to post your feedback.
    Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 12-10-2015, 12:36 AM. Reason: New version 0.2.0
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

If you want this to play on servers you will need to compile Linux client and server in Test configuration as well since most servers are Linux servers. Good work.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I never cross-compiled any source code for UT. I'm not fully sure how to set it up. I don't have the option to compile for Linux. If you want to help on that case, please reply in the development/coding thread or point me to a specific working how-to.

I'm not even sure if it would work on severs . I coded the network code kinda blindfoldly ... but as it worked in the previous UT and this is a strict port, it should work theoretically. I think I tested the network simulation in the editor once.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I've released a new version. Check the first post. There is no change from the gameplay perspective but I managed to compile the Linux version. Let me know if the version doesn't work or drop from feedback.

Comment

This was a really cool unique game type in UT3, good to see it so early into the development of 4. I will give it a run, and see what feedback I can provide. It is hardly going to be pro feedback, but should definitely help from a casual point of view.
          My maps:

CTF-DBMBridge: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-DBMBridge

Comment

I appreciate every feedback even if it's "it is plain stupid" . I would also like to know if it actually works on the different platforms. I'm not able to compile for MAC and I just recently cross-compiled it for Linux (the first time). I don't have a Linux distribution installed and don't have the time/space to do so, I would appreciate comments about linux and/or servers as well.

The gametype is itself is very unknown. Not many players played (/ wanted to play) UT3 and never tried the 2.0 version which shipped this gametype. Whenever I played it online, it was a big mess as the gametype was introduced to a community which just wants to shoot at everyone. The mechanic wasn't explained. So most of the players actually shoot the normal beam at non-colored players and the blue beam at blue colored players. As this is how color matching works. The gametype isn't meant to be played like this. I rarely played the game type properly. So I guess there has to be some sort of introduction to new players. For every new player, they should be introduced with a simple rule of 'don't betray players when the pot size is below 7'. Otherwise, shooting teammates constantly would boost the score of teammates very fast. They always get a bonus of 7 by killing you again (payback). This makes the game end very quickly.

However, if you play it with a small group of players who actually know how this gametype should be played, it is a lot of fun. It's thrilling when playing with good players side by side and not knowing when or if they betray.

Speaking of betraying, Wormo did a port of Betrayal for UT2004 and introduced some sort of punishment when a player betrays other players unreasonable (low pot) and he also added some enhancements regarding bot logic. I did not implement this in this port (yet). I also would like to have a more dynamic team rotation or manual team grouping. The original code indicates that there was an idea of allowing players to form a group manually by shooting at them. Not sure who was the original author/creator, but I would also really like to know the reasons of not implementing that feature or what other features are planned. Betrayal has potential. Betrayal is fun to play. But Betrayal also lacks of explaning the game flow or allowing a fluid gameplay without possible sabotaging (just like Warfare in UT3 where new players take the orb and run straight to the ennemy core...).

Comment

I've updated the game type. Basically it fixes some network issues and in general problems with the custom InstaGib. This gametype now works well on servers and clients (tested Win64, client and ded server). The zip file is properly packaged and structured. It basically allows drag'n'dropping the files into the installation folder.

You can find the latest download in the first post. Drop some feedback.

PS: There are some issues about the general gameplay behavior/flow (which Wormbo also talked about). This new update is not changing anything in regards of that. I'm waiting for the new build to work on that.

Comment

Updated the game type to be compatible to the latest build (9/8/2015). There are also some minor fixes/changes related to bot behavior. Look for the download in the first post.

Comment

Had problems with the previous build compiling this plugin for it. Here's the new build for the latest build 2710036 (10/1/2015). Check the first post.

Comment

Added some new features to the game mode and fixed some minor issues. The new download is in the first post, as always.

Changelog v0.2.0:
                    • Fixed: Bots still betray after their team has betrayed
                    • Fixed: Nemesis updated correctly for betrayed player
                    • Fixed: Tracking highest pot for the instigator player
                    • Added: Tracking lowest and highest pots for each player
                    • Added: Mutator support for CheckRelevance
                    • Added: Additional rogue score, penalty exposed as game option
                    • Added: Allowing pickups (non-timed) as game option
                    • Changed: Re-enabled leader hat

Comment

I'd been thinking about this mode after seeing Vampire mode in [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION] UT Fourever Modification

I was thinking of a slight spin on Betrayal combined with Vampire.
                      • IG
                      • Everyone starts with 5 lives
                      • Each frag / gib gives you a life and removes one from the person you fragged / gibbed
                      • Secondary fire creates alliance
                      • Primary will allow you to boost your alliance members
                      • Secondary on an alliance member will frag / gib them OR maybe it just removes alliance
                      • When you are out of lives you spectate
                      Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

I'm already planning on working on Betrayal again and adding a new feature - a gameplay changing one. Regarding your list, sounds good but that wouldn't work well for the game type named "Betrayal". I'm looking for a way to allow "Secondary fire creates alliance" as this was somehow planned in the original game type as well. But the thing in general, if someone asks you to form a team, you should deny it. Probably a 2-way confirmation would work.

Comment

Will we ever see this in Blueprint form so a separate install is not needed for the client?
                          Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

I was working on it but it required a heavy need for exposing Blueprint and requesting it through GitHub or workarounds (targeting the original source code and design). Some things were not possible at all. From a prototyping perspective, to have a gametype which features everything how it is designed, I kept working on it in C++. I haven't updated or touched the BP files. I am still planning on adding some new game changing features/additions to Betrayal. I might check how a Blueprint port would work. In general, a Blueprint prototype/gamemode would be possible.

Yes, I also dislike the complex steps to install native mods (and even create these). From a security standpoint, I wouldn't want to use C++ at all, but regarding the moddability of UT, there is no way around C++, AI is the last part which is likely not extendable from Blueprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Megasporwic View Post
                              Will we ever see this in Blueprint form so a separate install is not needed for the client?
                              Have you tried the C++ Betrayal gamemode (the plugin)? Did you notice any bugs? Any suggestions?

I haven't updated the binaries for the last two builds.

Comment

Working...
                              X