New Gametype Idea: Payload Capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] New Gametype Idea: Payload Capture

*EDIT: I renamed my gametype idea to "Convoy" as suggested by MonsOlympus, thanks for the suggestion!

Hey everyone, thanks for reading this post.

Before I jump into my idea for a new gametype, I firstly want to say that I was a dedicated UT2004 player before but I am new to the community and was a little hesitant to post this because I thought no one would like this idea.
    But since so much progress is being made and I get hyped everytime I see a new official video, I thought I'd just go for it. Also please tell me if I did something wrong with posting this, like the prefix. Note sure if this is a prototype or not.

I created a concept of a gametype I've never seen in any game before. I've put a lot of work into detailing this one out and brainstorming on it so I hope you all like it.

Now, let me introduce you to "Convoy"!

Short Description

This gametype is to be played by two teams. Each team has its own base where its players spawn. The objective of the game is to capture a central, massive, highly defendable vehicle which is carrying a very important payload. At the start of the game, the vehicle spawns in the middle of the map. Teams have to get to the vehicle, jump aboard and drive it back to their base while preventing the other team to seize control over it, so they can drive it back to their own base.

The Vehicle

First off, let's give 'this vehicle' a name so we don't have to talk about "The vehicle" everytime anymore. After some brainstorming I came up with "Nioxu Transporter". It has a sci-fi element combined with it's purpose, transporting things. This name can be changed to whatever seems more fitting, but that's how I will refer to it for now. You can always post suggestions.

A huge lore part first so you can feel the theme I'm going for, please hang on

The Nioxu is created with a very rare metal material which was popular a long time ago but which has long been exhausted by now. This element was so rare and wanted for it's ability to create unbreakable plates and other shapes.
    During the time some ores were still left, this element was forged to create a couple Nioxu Transporters, making them indestructable. The Nioxu is build to transport extremely important payloads while having the security of being able to transport the goods without damaging them or to protect them from hostiles.

The existance of these Nioxu's was a secret to anyone not involved in the creation of them. They were used in a couple missions until their users got exterminated and the whole operation stopped. All of the Nioxu's were lost in space... until now. A recent discovery digged up one of these Nioxu's and to their great surprise it was still in perfect condition. They quickly began studying the massive vehicle to learn all about it. Their study led to a theory that there should exist way more of these vehicles. Soon enough they realised these Nioxu's were of immense value and they started a hunt to find more of them. But they were not alone. Information leaked and more parties became aware of the existence of these incredible vehicles. A world-w.. sorry, a galactic-wide hunt for these transporters started with no one holding down. Everyone wanted to find them to be able to put it's very useful functionalities to their use and also to take whatever valuable payload was still inside it.

This is where my gametype steps in

Every map created for this gametype recreates a battle for one of these lost Nioxu's. They can be at another location, in a different time, etc. Two teams of different factions fight for the capture of a found Nioxu. They want to take control of it and bring it to their base.

The Nioxu Transporter is a two-seater. It will allow for one driver and another player who will be operating the defense system. The Nioxu won't have a health bar because it is simply indestructible. It's massive shape results in it being very heavy and thus very slow, like.. really ... slow. Normal fuel doesn't suffice powering the Nioxu. It's creators had to come up with a new, ingenius way of powering it. They invented a system which uses some very powerful energy. This energy powers both the Nioxu Transporter and it's defense system, energy pulses. Luckily it's makers had to bring tons of energy cells to keep it fueled during it's transport job, so finding energy won't be that huge of a problem.

The Energy System

The Nioxu Transporter will spawn with a certain amount of energy in it. But not enough to get it to a team's base immediately. While driving, the Nioxu Transporter will consume little by little energy until it runs out. So from the moment a team takes control of the Nioxu Transporter, the energy will slowly drain to 0%, making the transporter stop when empty.

The team controlling the transporter must refill the energy by collecting energy cells, which spawn randomly throughout the map. The amount of energy cells spawning around the map is not a lot, but there will spawn just enough to get the Nioxu Transporter going. Each energy cell will refill a fixed amount of energy of the Nioxu Transporter. Total energy can't go over 100%.

A team member who is not driving the Nioxu Transporter, should defend from incoming enemies, or go find an energy cell and bring it back to the transporter. A player who is carrying an energy cell can still use his weapons but will run slightly slower and won't be able to jump as high as other players. When a player who is carrying an energy cell dies, the energy cell will drop to the ground, waiting to be picked up by another player, ally or foe. A player can only carry one energy cell at a time.

When a player of the team which is controlling the Nioxu Transporter, reaches the transporter while carrying an energy cell, the energy cell will be consumed and the energy of the transporter will be refilled by a certain amount (15% for example). When an enemy gets near the Nioxu Transporter with an energy cell, nothing will happen. This would be highly risky anyways because the cell will drop when that player dies, giving the enemies a free energy cell if they could pick it up. Energy cells laying on the ground can be destroyed by shooting at it, making it possible to deny energy to the enemy team. An energy cell which is being carried by a player can't be destroyed unless that player is killed first. (Open for debate tho, will require more dodge skills to return an energy cell when it's destructable when someone is carrying it) It's also possible to destroy cells which spawned and haven't been picked up yet before.

The Defense System

While the first player who jumped in the Nioxu will be the driver, the second player will be able to operate it's defense system. He has one simple task, protecting the transporter from incoming attacks. He can do so by letting out powerful energy pulses which will knock back and inflict damage to all enemies in a certain range. The closer an enemy is to the Nioxu, the more damage they will take and the further they will be "blown" back. Someone very close will most likely take lethal damage while his corpse will swing into the air. Someone somewhat further away will take less damage and will only get knocked back a bit. These energy pulses are a strong tool for defending the Nioxu, but they come at a great cost. Every energy pulse will consume a considerable amount of energy from the Nioxu's energy tank. This will force the operator to think twice before to use the pulses.

Taking Control

The biggest objective of the game is to take control over the Nioxu Transporter so you are able to drive it to your base to win the game. The first player reaching the Nioxu Transporter will become driver, and capture the transporter for his team. After that, another ally can enter the Nioxu Transporter to operate it's defense system.

Because the Nioxu Transporter is indestructable, a team can't take control over it by destroying it. In stead, the team not in control of the Nioxu Transporter has two options. Either they deny the enemy team enough energy so the transporter runs out of energy by itself. Or they can use a modified version of the link gun to drain energy from the Nioxu into their gun, meanwhile buffing their gun. More about that later.

When the Nioxu runs out of energy, a shutdown mechanism will be triggered which will eject both driver and defense operator. This will put the Nioxu back in a neutral state. When the Nioxu Transporter receives it's first energy cell after that (from either team), it will restart and do a power test (it will also do a power test the first time a team takes control over it). The Nioxu will send out an energy pulse to test it's systems. This energy pulse will affect all players from the enemy team, the team which did not take control. So if you are first to fill the Nioxu with a cell, all enemies will be affected by the power test pulse. This gives the conquering team a brief window to take control of the transporter. Directly after the power test, the Nioxu Transporter will become drivable again and resume functionality.

Do not forget that after you refilled the Nioxu and the power test occured, the enemies can still kill you and capture the Nioxu for themselves. After the power test, the first player getting in, from either team, will become driver and control the Nioxu for his team until it runs out of energy again. So be carefull when giving the Nioxu it's first energy cell after a restart, make sure no enemies are around.

Whilst is wise to have players on your team deny energy by scouting the map and destroying energy cells, it is also possible to drain energy from the Nioxu with your link gun.

The Link Gun

While no one starts with a link gun, link guns can be obtained on a fixed, somewhat special, location on the map. When a player dies, he has to get a new link gun from that location. There won't be any ammo to pick up directly. While the link gun is draining energy from the Nioxu, it will load itself with energy ammo which can be used later on. This energy is so strong, that when used to fire at enemies, it will do extra damage like it would do when you were linked up with an ally. It's even that strong and powerful that the link guns can't actually take full hold of it. However the link gun being a well designed piece of technology, it is by no means capable of fully taking a hold of this extra-ordinary energy. Energy inside a link gun will slowly drain away. If the energy is not turned back to the Nioxu after a capture, it will get lost forever. So a team must act quickly when taking over the Nioxu. They must drain it's energy, refill it after it ejected it's drivers, enter it and charge back any energy they have left in their link guns. (Or use the energy as ammo to kill enemies)

Gameplay

- Attacker and defender roles swap according to who has the Nioxu.

* The team in possession of the Nioxu are the defenders. The defenders have multiple roles:
    • One player is the driver. He needs to manouver the giant Nioxu through the map towards his base, carefully deciding which road to take. (Could implement some dynamic map behaviour)
    • Another player will be the defense operator. He needs to decide when to consume some current energy the create a giant energy pulse which will affect all enemies in range. (Have to make sure to not make this role too boring)
    • Other team members could be going for energy cells, scouting the map and bringing them to the Nioxu.
    • Last but not least you have the players who will just attack the attackers so they can't attack the Nioxu. (Gotta love the logic)

* The team not in possession of the Nioxu are the attackers. They need to take control of the Nioxu and drive it all the way back. They have slightly less roles, but therefore aren't less exciting:
    • Some attackers will confront the enemies directly by killing them, giving their team some room to engage.
    • Others will grab a link gun and start draining the Nioxu.
    • You also have the attackers who will scout the map for energy cells and destroy them to deny energy.

Obviously these roles are more interchangable and it's very easy to swap role.

Don't forget that the attackers should work together by chaining their link guns to achieve better results.
    1: Chained link guns will drain more energy then if they would drain seperately in total.
    2: When you chain link guns you can form a line away from the Nioxu, thus further away from the pulses. This will provide more safety for the attackers in the back of the line.

- Something needs to be implemented to avoid the game from never ending. Some possibilities:
    • Increased death timers the longer the game progresses.
    • Energy cells will restore more energy the later in the game.
    • The Nioxu Transporter will driver faster later in the game.
    • Shortcuts to both bases will open after some time.

Well, that was it, for now. Maybe I'll be changing some things here and there according to the feedback I get.

I aimed to create a very different gametype no one has ever seen before with a lot of diversity and variety. There are multiple ways to play this gametype and to achieve victory. It's meant to be a team game where everyone on the team can play his part the way he likes to. I thank those who read this until the end and I really hope some people will leave me some feedback on whether they like it or what they would change. I'm so curious and anxious to know what you guys think of it, because I have no clue.

Regards,
    TheCreative
    Last edited by TheCreative; 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM. Reason: New name

Just some minor advice, which has nothing to do with the quality of your idea but in order to avoid confusion, you might want to call your idea something other than a blueprint since ue4's visual scripting system is called blueprint. Unless you have actually done bp for this, which I missed if so. Other than that I'm sure you communicated your idea just fine.

Simplify the name is my second suggestion - capture not needed, just "Payload" would work fine.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Hey thanks for your feedback. I changed "blueprint" with "concept" to avoid confusion. I indeed do not have a blueprint, it's only an idea.

I will keep your advice in mind for a simplified name. It is indeed too long but I'm not sure if simply "Payload" sounds and feels the way I want to intend it to.

Comment

I love this idea. I could see this being really, really cool to play with a group of friends, or even in a public server.

In regards to the link gun, I don't necessarily think that it should deal extra damage, as it seems like quite an important weapon as is. Perhaps leaving it at the default damage would be fine. Whether you keep the ammo decay or not might be influenced by this, I would perhaps say that it shouldn't decay ammo.

Otherwise, I love how the energy cells work, and the overall idea of moving the vehicle towards a base. The team play could be quite good. Would really need some form of prototype before anyone can know how everything will work in practice. Is it something you are likely to be able to create?
        My maps:

CTF-DBMBridge: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-DBMBridge

Comment

Hey Dolphin.

Nice to see someone likes this idea I had no clue whether someone else than me would love it.

The extra damage from the link gun was mostly to fit it with the lore. This energy is very strong and powerful, heck it needs to power a beast machine. So I thought it'd be cool if it would deal this extra damage because it's so strong. If it would turn out to be too powerful I'd rather opt for a decay increase. If it would still not feel ok then we could implement your suggestion and get rid of the decay.

Am I likely able to create a prototype? Probably not. Is it likely that I would try? Depends if this idea is much wanted. I would search for other people on this forum to help. I have 0 experience with UE4. Not sure if my experience as a professional software / web developer would help in creating blueprints. I've only seen the basics of C++ before.

Nevertheless I think it'd be my responsability to create this if I would want it to have a chance to be implemented (officially or as mod). As you wrote it's a lot of text and theorycraft, people need to be able to play this to see if they like it.

Comment

Would love to get some more feedback guys

Comment

I dont really like the name though, if I would make a suggestion would be to call it Convoy. I think names such as this an Annex are much more interesting, when it comes to vehicles Fuel might be a nice name for a vehicle Domination type
              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                I dont really like the name though, if I would make a suggestion would be to call it Convoy. I think names such as this an Annex are much more interesting, when it comes to vehicles Fuel might be a nice name for a vehicle Domination type
                Thanks for the suggestion, I really like that name! I changed it but I can't change the title of the topic Maybe a mod could do this in my place.

Do you have any feedback on the gametype itself?

Comment

I think the roles of a driver and a gunner should be combined. The reason is that just driving a slow, bulky thing is not fun.
                  Or maybe we should get rid of a driver altogether, instead making the vehicle ride on some sort of tracks, possibly with some forks and alternate routes activated by special gameplay objects in other places of the map. For example, there could be a number of switches placed alongside the tracks, the state of which is defined by what team currently owns it, and to capture them one would need a power cell.
                  Regarding the power/fuel cells, I think totally random spawn wouldn't work very well, because one team could get several good spawns in a row and win by luck, so at least there should be some well-defined spawn points for the things - maybe some kind of dispensers, teleporters or something like that. Furthermore, the teams should be at least warned about the place of the next spawn some time ahead, to force some action and further reduce the influence of luck. These spawn points could even be switched on and off depending on the current position of the vehicle.
                  Instead of giving yet additional functions to a poor pulse rifle, we could allow attackers to drain the power storage by bringing a power cell to the vehicle by themselves - a high risk/reward tactic.
                  We can also introduce some environmental hazards in strategic places for attackers to dump the cells into, denying the enemy team their power for some time. And, to give players something to do while another power cell is still arriving, we could give them some reward for attacking the vehicle directly - maybe drain its power a little for damage received (and explain that as sustaining some kind of external shield), or enable a mechanic to temporarily slow the vehicle down - possibly by directly damaging it, or by damaging the tracks underneath it.

Though, really, the best way to go would be to whip some kind of prototype in BP and then iterate on that. I don't have much free time now, due to school, but I could try to make an implementation (and familiarize myself with the engine a little more).

Comment

Really nice idea's there Delfigamer. You're right about the driver/defender issue. I think that both roles might be boring as hell. So either I'll combine them as you suggested or get rid of them and go further with your tracks idea.

Regarding the spawns of the cells, I didn't mean "completely random". I would define several dozens of spawn locations on the map and let them randomly spawn on those. I also like your idea of influencing the spawns according to the current state of the game. The idea of announcing the spawns is great as well. This will draw the attention of both attackers and defenders and decide the pace of the game.

I'm not sure I'm going to change the way the energy draining works. I don't really like the idea of draining it into another energy cell but I do like some sort of high risk/reward system. I'll see what I can do there.

I'm kinda 50/50 about the last thing you mentioned. I would have liked to create a more brawlish scene in between cell spawn where attackers would seek out defenders and just straight up pvp. On the other side your explenation of sustaining and external energy shield would fit really well. Nevertheless tho, I don't really want to create long wait times between energy cells. There should always be multiple cell on the map at any given time. Some might make it to the vehicle, some might get destroyed.

Anyways thanks for your feedback. Like I said before, awesome idea's there. I kinda gave up on this due to the lack of responses I got. Your thoughts gave me some new inspiration. I might try my hands on this now but I gotta learn everything from the start. Would be cool if someone could show me around or point me to some good tutorials. That would help out a lot.

Comment

This sounds like a fun game mode but it could potentially be too complicated or end up taking too long for the match to end, like Onslaught at times.

Are the defenders allowed to pick up the Link Gun as well? There needs to be some balance to prevent defenders from camping at the Link and attackers from camping by the energy cells. I suspect that map design will be especially important if this mode is to work.

It's a good idea but I think it will require a playable version in order for it to be balanced and refined.

Comment

Good idea for game mode. sounds fun.
                        Shock Therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroidZA View Post
                          This sounds like a fun game mode but it could potentially be too complicated or end up taking too long for the match to end, like Onslaught at times.

Are the defenders allowed to pick up the Link Gun as well? There needs to be some balance to prevent defenders from camping at the Link and attackers from camping by the energy cells. I suspect that map design will be especially important if this mode is to work.

It's a good idea but I think it will require a playable version in order for it to be balanced and refined.
                          You are 100% correct. Because the gameplay of this map is a little complicated it'll be extremely important to think about everything and make changes during playtest phase. But I'm not going to run before I can walk here. Right now I haven't done any real work yet. This is still a concept in my head. However I am planning to give it my very best to create this. I already drew a top-down layout of the level I will be making for this. I will then try to create a rough, undetailed level based on that and then do the blueprinting / coding work. If I think it will be going to work out, then I'll put some more attention to the map etc..

1. I will make sure to implement some nice features to prevent the game from taking too long to end like increasing death timers or shortcuts which will open after a while.

2. I'm still innerly debating on whether link guns will spawn on the map or players will start out with one. If I will let them spawn on the map everyone will be able to pick them up but I'll make sure they are not campable or even worth camping at all.

Comment

TF2 have different variants of that mode:

Attack / Defence where only blue team can push cart.
                            Symmetric Payload Race where both teams push their own cart.
                            Symmetric with one cart where both teams should push it to enemy base. The third one is unofficial and it was least fun out of 3 variants (that's why nobody, Valve too, never made maps for that version)
                            It dragged for too long or ended in stalemates almost all the time. I find payload race with 2 carts the most fun.
                            My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by RNGuy View Post
                              TF2 have different variants of that mode:

Attack / Defence where only blue team can push cart.
                              Symmetric Payload Race where both teams push their own cart.
                              Symmetric with one cart where both teams should push it to enemy base. The third one is unofficial and it was least fun out of 3 variants (that's why nobody, Valve too, never made maps for that version)
                              It dragged for too long or ended in stalemates almost all the time. I find payload race with 2 carts the most fun.
                              I played lots of TF2 in the past and while I liked the attack/defense gamemode I still decided to not inspire myself there. I didn't want to copy paste from TF2.

I'm trying to create a gametype where there will be a lot fighting over 1 objective with some back and forth action and where there is more to it than just pushing a cart by standing next to it. I really like my idea with the energy cells and I will definitely keep this.

Comment

Working...
                              X