Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why can't we highlight enemy flag carrier in ctf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why can't we highlight enemy flag carrier in ctf?

Title says all. We have our own flag carrier marked and can see its position all the time. Why can't we have the same for enemy flag carrier if a team member spots its position? why can't we have an icon marking his position for a short time, similar to how our own FC is marked?
    that would drastically increase teamplay for this mod, and would decrease the necessity of voice communication a lot. in most ctf games i still feel theres not much teamplay going on, and too much random stuff decides who wins a game.

I disagree with this statement, one part of the flag running is also the hiding element, trying to avoid enemy players and needing the enemy team to actively hunt for the flag more interesting.

I do not want the flag carrier to be highlit at all, for me it would make it less fun.

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
      I disagree with this statement, one part of the flag running is also the hiding element, trying to avoid enemy players and needing the enemy team to actively hunt for the flag more interesting.

I do not want the flag carrier to be highlit at all, for me it would make it less fun.
      sorry but you doesn't make sense. i'm strictly talking about situations when enemy actually SEE you.

plus if people are using microphones they can just call out your position. if one team has more users actively using microphones they will be in huge advantage. always. my goal would be to reduce that advantage and make public gameplay more like a teamgame and not game where 5 individuals figth another 5 individuals.

furthermore it was always a common problem of public servers that a group of individuals joined using teamspeak into one team and simply wrecked the other because they had such an unfair advantage.
      Last edited by Hektoerr; 09-17-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

...And how exactly do you imagine that "when enemy actually SEES you" part? If the enemy got a direct line of sight towards the carrier within ones FOV? Would cause wide FOV abuse, also will kill the original hide-and-seek idea. If the enemy keeps damaging the flag carrier? Will cause bio/'nade/stinger spam, nothing else. Actually aiming at the flag carrier in order to mark one sounds like the only possible way around yet then it equals the teams by the tactical factor.

Even in UT99 there was a feature noting YOUR position in chat, just saying the carrier is here was enough.

Comment

i think peterk is refering to feature such as in CSGO, while bomb is dropped on the ground, and somene from CT side sees it. its indicate icon on the radarfor the team. IMHO its idea worth brainstorming, since for newcomers and lower skilled players is ffa CTF without teamspeak kind of messy.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineBoss View Post
            ...And how exactly do you imagine that "when enemy actually SEES you" part? If the enemy got a direct line of sight towards the carrier within ones FOV? Would cause wide FOV abuse, also will kill the original hide-and-seek idea. If the enemy keeps damaging the flag carrier? Will cause bio/'nade/stinger spam, nothing else. Actually aiming at the flag carrier in order to mark one sounds like the only possible way around yet then it equals the teams by the tactical factor.

Even in UT99 there was a feature noting YOUR position in chat, just saying the carrier is here was enough.
            how do i imagine that? simply, you see the FC and mark the position with a button. then an icon similar to own flag carrier appears. there would be a limit for how long the icon is there and how often it can be used so it won't be just a button spamming.

I ask you the same time again, where is the hide and seek factor if you are seen ? if i have microphone and teamspeak i just call out your position.

its quite common people wont use voice communications because
            1. they dont have a mic
            2. can't setup teamspeak
            3. they simple don't want to talk. yes i know many players who thinks using voice comms is a hassle and can't be arsed to use it.
            4. combination of 1-2-3
            5. some peple are shy, afraid of talking in english with foreigners.
            6. simply cannot speak english. actually many russian players i know for example can't speak english. not one word. some can,but very limited.

with this suggestion i simply wan't to improve public ctf experience and make it more popular. we need to improve the gameplay experience as good as possible in order to get new players and to make old players come back, because lets be honest, our playerbase is very small. We have to improve the gameplay and it certainly can be improved.

if such feature is implemented it does not matter if people speak the same language or not, if they have microphones or not, if they are on same teamspeak server and same teamspeak channel or not. it's there for everyone, everyone can use it without any ini file digging, without 3rd party tools or any extra requirement. also with the current gameplay mechanics beginners will never learn how to play ctf, usually its just 5 individual vs 5 individual instead of team vs team.

difference between pickup games and public ctf is HUGE.Try it out once and you'll see.

if someone comes with teamsay binds one more time i swear ill rip him to shreds. we are in 2016 soon, not in bloody 1996 playing quake 1. even if we have teamsay binds in the game, some people use it, some people don't. some people read it, some people don't. I certainly can't be arsed to move my eyes all the time to look at the lower part of the screen then to the middle part of the screen all the time where my crosshair is. since the text messages appear in the same place where death messages are appearing if you are unlucky its quite easy to miss something, so its quite unreliable. also if you are in a middle of fight if you start reading teamsay binds you are dead meat.

we are improving the game for nowadays's standards and its not necessary to use the very same outdated mechanics already existed 20 years ago. this is the time to improve what we can or we are stuck with the same outdated mechanics for the upcoming 10 or 15 years. (who knows how long the game will live). marking own flag carrier was already a nice move by epic (tho it was already present for example in xonotic and other games too.), but theres still room to improve.
            Last edited by Hektoerr; 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aiwon View Post
              i think peterk is refering to feature such as in CSGO, while bomb is dropped on the ground, and somene from CT side sees it. its indicate icon on the radarfor the team. IMHO its idea worth brainstorming, since for newcomers and lower skilled players is ffa CTF without teamspeak kind of messy.
              thanks, i never played cs:go, but i guess you are right.

Comment

Working...
              X