only:
    -DM
    -TDM
    -CTF
    -DUEL
    -ASSULT as an option

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
      This forum is for the discussion of gametype ideas for Unreal Tournament. Epic will be following the discussions in this forum, but right now our design bandwidth is primarily focused on movement mechanics.

Epic will be closely involved in and leading the design and development of the core gametypes (those that we shipped in our previous titles, like Deathmatch, CTF, Onslaught, Assault, etc.). We’re very interested in your ideas about how to move these gametypes forward.

We’d like the community to lead efforts to bring back popular community-created gametypes and develop entirely new gametypes for Unreal Tournament.

The only way I see to move this forward (counting with all the gametypes that exist out there) is put all gametypes inside a big MMO. There are so many gametypes, and I'm sure they will be even more when this will be finish but I think it could be a nice movement to put all this gametypes together, making some kind of competition between all gametypes creators to gain more atraction on his gametype inside the MMO. Also as I mentioned in other post, MMO's are very popular, we should get that advantage.

PD: and please, if you don't like the idea, don't tell me "arena shooter != MMO", because that is short mind. All gametypes I know from UT will feet perfectly in some popular already working MMO's.

Comment

Originally posted by LAmprAZ View Post
        my opinion :
        [...]
        JailBreak (ut99)
        [...]
        No. Just no. Jailbreak has evolved over the last few UT generations and I wouldn't want to see a rollback to the old UTJB3 after having played (and worked on, TBH ) JB2004 and UT3JB already.

Originally posted by velocidad View Post
        PD: and please, if you don't like the idea, don't tell me "arena shooter != MMO", because that is short mind. All gametypes I know from UT will feet perfectly in some popular already working MMO's.
        MMOs are no arena shooters. An arena is by definition a relatively small area that keeps the competitors together. MMOs are usually more or less open world or at least prefer very large areas. I would even argue that the Assault and Onslaught/Warfare game modes are no arena game modes. However, they happen to be part of UT's legacy now and thus need to be considered. Especially Onslaught was very popular, so it should be included again, despite primarily aiming for an arena shooter.

And FYI: I consider MMO to be player counts with 3+ digits per server that can interact with each other. (For example TrackMania allows hundreds of players on a server, but they don't really interact apart from being able to see each other, so it's probably not an MMO.) That will not work in the classic arena shooter sense, because during an arena shooter match you will have to deal with all participating players over and over again. In an MMO you can't do that due to the sheer number of participants.
        Last edited by Wormbo; 06-08-2014, 10:25 AM.
        <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
        <TNSe> nono
        <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
        <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
        <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
        <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
          No. Just no. Jailbreak has evolved over the last few UT generations and I wouldn't want to see a rollback to the old UTJB3 after having played (and worked on, TBH ) JB2004 and UT3JB already.

MMOs are no arena shooters. An arena is by definition a relatively small area that keeps the competitors together. MMOs are usually more or less open world or at least prefer very large areas. I would even argue that the Assault and Onslaught/Warfare game modes are no arena game modes. However, they happen to be part of UT's legacy now and thus need to be considered. Especially Onslaught was very popular, so it should be included again, despite primarily aiming for an arena shooter.

And FYI: I consider MMO to be player counts with 3+ digits per server that can interact with each other. (For example TrackMania allows hundreds of players on a server, but they don't really interact apart from being able to see each other, so it's probably not an MMO.) That will not work in the classic arena shooter sense, because during an arena shooter match you will have to deal with all participating players over and over again. In an MMO you can't do that due to the sheer number of participants.

In any MMO with 3+ digits per server, there are always arenas (small or big) inside them, that's where arena shooters will feet perfectly with any MMO. You should check Lineage2 sieges or Aion sieges, there you have MMO with 3+ digit all interacting toguether at same time, so for me that is an excuse.

Comment

If you create 20 different MODS, you'll have 20 different small communities playing that MOD. And after a while, they will die. Again, take a look at LoL. They got 3-4 different mods and millions of players playing it and no one gets fed with only those MODS because they are RICH MODS, with lots of players and constant work around. Look at LoL, for a reason it's an success.

- CTF
            - TDM
            - Duel
            - Assault
            Last edited by OmegA'; 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eimiar View Post
              In ut2004 there were Assault maps that could be played as Trials, I don't know if it's a good idea to make it a gametype on its own (just like TAM was born as a TDM mutator)
              Completely up to the server host which maps get hosted. I personally loved trials and spent many hours playing it, and there have been many many others. If a server goes trials, it usually just hosts those maps, and then anyone who dont want to play them just avoids them. So what does any of that matter. I say do TAM, AM, DM, TDM. Do them all, do every gametype from every unreal tournament. Include every (stock) map from every game too. Variety out of the box man.

Comment

Duel (I´m quite concerned about the fact that don´t has much mention, being the gametype that motivates many players to compete and improve their game skills.)
                Deathmatch
                Team Deathmatch
                CTF
                VCTF (Only with Hoverboard and light vehicles like: Manta and Viper, Because it is very frustrating for everyone when a good player gets hold of a tank or any kind of vehicle hard to destroy and With great power of attack. Well, for the sake of a balanced game)
                Last edited by Axis_Zaibot; 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM.
                ◄ Competitive Map Pack 2
                ◄ Competitive Map Pack 1
                ◄ Characters Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Zaibot View Post
                  Duel I´m quite concerned about the fact that don´t has much mention, being the gametype that motivates many players to compete and improve their game skills.
                  Set GameType to DM
                  Set MaxPlayers to 2

You now have Duel's.

However you can go a step further. Add in a matchmaking system and an ELO ranking system and you would good, but it would only last as long as Epic keeps their servers up unless they can somehow incorporate that same system without cheating on public servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmaero View Post
                    We really need return of standard UT99 Domination. I really missed it in later UTs.
                    This^
                    If you plan on including domination in the game, it have to be in its original form, NOT double domination.

I would vote for AS, DM, DOM, TDM, CTF, Jailbreak, all in ut99 form.

I did also enjoy the following mods/mutators:
                    Relics, Runez, Strangelove, Fatboy, Instagib.

Proper deformation (De-pressurization effect and stick insects) of living individuals was sorely missing in UT2kxx and UT3 - and i also miss the advanced bot customization options from ut99. I pray to godzilla that it will return in UT4.
                    Last edited by Solei; 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM.
                    **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
                    64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
                    READY.

Comment

I know VCTF is one of the most popular game modes (with hoverboards as well), but so many of those players don't even take the time to come to these forums and vote for it / say how much they like it. lol

Comment

VCTF - great gametype, which is the main gametype in UT3 for last few years (VCTF and DUEL i guess).
                        It will be nice to see hoverboads, to make this gametype more dynamic
                        DM/TDM/DUEL - no comments, UT without this gametypes will be not be UT
                        ASSAULT
                        BOMBING RUN
                        And I can agree with RAPTOR, VCTF is one of the popular gametypes in UT3 now, i think only cuz of VCTF UT3 is "still alive"

Comment

vctf!!!!!!!
                          Last edited by eprY; 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

vCTF......

Comment

I'm convinced that as soon as there's a CTF game mode and the first vehicle is implemented, you will see someone adding VCTF.
                              <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
                              <TNSe> nono
                              <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
                              <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
                              <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
                              <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Primary focus should be on Duel/TDM and TAM/BTA/Arena (what ever you wanna call it) first, because duel is just TDM with a player cap of 2, and BTA/TAM/ClanArena is basically just Last man standing /w teams... Pretty simple. Capture the flag and Old School Domination should probably be next on the list, followed by free for all games like Deathmatch and King of The Hill, because Deathmatch is easy, it's just TDM w/o teams, and King of the Hill is basically just free for all Domination with only 1 capture point. Bombing Run/Assault/Onslaught/Warfare and maybe even Double Dom, Overdose, and Jailbreak should be later on down the list, but are none the less important.

As for all the people arguing about vehicles or no vehicles in Assault, I have to agree with those who said that it should be up to the map developer, just as the case should be for CTF/VCTF, and DM maps like Heatray.

I know it's no where near this, but I would suggest grouping game modes together when it comes to the menu select for game modes such as CTF/VCTF/BR/Jailbreak could all be one menu option to find servers for, just as TDM/TAM could be one choice, and Assault/Onslaught could also be one choice and so could Deathmatch/King of the Hill. But what would be even better is if you could refine your search for servers to have like check boxes for the game types you would like to view servers for, so you could see more than one set of servers at once... Also we need a spectate button IN GAME, so that people don't have to disconnect and rejoin a server to spectate like in UT3.

I also believe that team deathmatch, and domination should (as UT99 did) support up to 4 teams BY DEFAULT (at least 4 teams)
                                Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Dr.ToxicVenom: "How bout we duel, and let our skill decide who's right and who's wrong? I'm in Unreal Carnage [Dallas] Right now. Come join."
                                MonsOlympus: "How about you work your way up the ranks first then we'll talk LAN, until then. Have fun trying to find people to play against you and your crappy attitude, good night!"
                                Dr.ToxicVenom: "DAAAAAAMN! That dodge was almost as good as my multi-dodge. Nice!"

Comment

Working...
                                X