X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Taleweaver View Post
    But enough about assault. Onslaught...there are some discussions on the orb worth checking into. Opinions differ as how it should be solved, but general consensus is that it's broken in the way UT3 handles it. Roughly the same about the necris vehicles, by the way. All in all, I'm surprised how relatively many just do not want them in the game in the first place.
    "Broken" may be a bit strong. As far as I can tell, there's some give and take that the orb and some vehicles like the Scavenger could be implemented in one of several ways, and hopefully in several alternative ways. (OK, I would have called the Scavenger broken but my mind's been changed)

I know a lot of UT99 purists either don't care about vehicle games or hate them, but I think they are here to stay. Constructive opinions from serious gamers would probably be welcome. The "make MY game but not THEIR game because I don't like it" whining is-- well that's about it-- it's whining.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I never warmed to invasion, ie spawning random monsters in DM levels. I think it needs to be married to something more like Assault, where you have to complete a series of mission objectives against waves of spawned enemies before a clock ticks down on maps specifically designed for the gametype. Like having AS Overlord against waves of Nazis or AS RobotFactory against different types of killer robot led by Xan.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by inferno View Post
    it would be cool to see a mod that involved killing a npc like a King and everyone had to protect / kill the king on both teams . and make it so both teams on both sides can control where the king/ npc goes to setup defense points. or instead of having a npc have a player
    Captain mod?
    EDIT: Well let me explain shortly. Each team had a captain and if I remember correctly it was team deathmatch and you had to frag the captain to get more points/win the game. He had some bonuses I think

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it would be cool to see a mod that involved killing a npc like a King and everyone had to protect / kill the king on both teams . and make it so both teams on both sides can control where the king/ npc goes to setup defense points. or instead of having a npc have a player
    Last edited by inferno; 05-23-2014, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Assault...on this forum, I feel very controversial in saying that I like the UT2004 version A LOT more than the UT99 variant. Sure, AS-Mothership kinda felt out of place and the shieldgun's alt fire was annoying at times, but these were minor gripes. IMHO, everything else was just better than the original. Objectives were better marked, there were plenty of shortcut opportunities (which I doubt UT99 fanatics even bothered to discover), a nice variety in stock maps, originality, decent bot support and vehicles added but didn't break the game.
    The bad thing here isn't that I disagree with the opinion of others. It's that they cannot convince me at all. There are some nice movies out there, but all I can think of is "yeah...if both teams use exploits, things are even again. Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass".
    It's just my observation so probably wrong, but I feel as if the UT99 players think everyone is born in a clan, and that's just not true. Everyone starts out as a newbie not knowing what to do, and in assault this applies even more than in other gametypes. You play some games on pubs, and if you like that, you get better. If you really like it, you may join a clan where advanced techniques are discussed and executed. And I have no doubt that once you're there, it'll be a fun gametype. The problem is that it should have been fun from the start. In fact, I have to think of final fantasy XIII in that regard. I also heard people say that it wasn't that good at the start, but "once you're about six hours in, it gets better". As you may guess, I'm not touching that game even if it was free.
    While I certainly respect your opinion, I don't think you've put a lot of thought into this or completed a well-thought argument in favor of UT2k4-style Assault the base action. I agree that the bot support was much better in UT2k4 for Assault. I've re-played all the campaigns recently and the Unreal Tournament assault campaign was kind of pathetic due to the bot support and the way the game works now. Realistically you'll never be in a public gametype which you described. I came into the Unreal Tournament clan scene incredibly late (2006 I believe?) and the clan scene now in Assault has been dead for a few years. I can say with full authority that your interpretation of UT players' thoughts on clans is both ridiculous and flat-out wrong. I'm also confused about how you got that impression, but I digress. Everyone began as a newbie, and with help newbies learn incredibly fast and have fun. Currently there is no clan scene and random players get together and play vs. each other and use all sorts of strategies and tactics to win. There is a thriving pick-up game scene which I'd love for you to come spectate over on the IRC server bacon.utassault.net in channel #utapug or via webIRC here. I think the best way to show you what I'm talking about is in game!

On any public server you'll see people in Assault hammer launching. This does not require any practice, comms, and the players don't need to know each other. This was just a basic thing. It's not an "exploit" it's teamwork - please try and grasp this. There is not a single launch in the game which is not defendable, and this aspect has encouraged the constant evolution of the game and made Assault one of the longest-lasting and most vibrant gametypes in Unreal Tournament for fifteen years.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    (which I doubt UT99 fanatics even bothered to discover)

There are some nice movies out there, but all I can think of is "yeah...if both teams use exploits, things are even again. Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass".

It's just my observation so probably wrong, but I feel as if the UT99 players think everyone is born in a clan, and that's just not true. Everyone starts out as a newbie not knowing what to do, and in assault this applies even more than in other gametypes. You play some games on pubs, and if you like that, you get better. If you really like it, you may join a clan where advanced techniques are discussed and executed. And I have no doubt that once you're there, it'll be a fun gametype. The problem is that it should have been fun from the start. In fact, I have to think of final fantasy XIII in that regard. I also heard people say that it wasn't that good at the start, but "once you're about six hours in, it gets better". As you may guess, I'm not touching that game even if it was free.
    I only used relevant Quotes from your above contribution. https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post56590

I dislike your usage of the word "fanatics". I agree about "nice movies". I can not see from where you have the generalised thinking "as if UT99 players think everyone is born in a clan". I disagree about your "The problem is that it should have been fun from the start." because you agree yourself that it is: "And I have no doubt that once you're there, it'll be a fun gametype." Games with near zero own skill requirement and the demand for near zero own evolution, will be used only from a minority. Unreal Tournament was and will never be a multiplayer online game for this interest group!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Instagib as a standard mod, always has had the biggest playerbase of anything.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Invasion gametype would be nice. I would suggest to add bosses after some waves completion.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JiKOVCRe5OE

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
    Epic will be closely involved in and leading the design and development of the core gametypes (those that we shipped in our previous titles, like Deathmatch, CTF, Onslaught, Assault, etc.). We’re very interested in your ideas about how to move these gametypes forward.
    DM, TDM and CTF are classics for a reason. You simply cannot mess with them.
    For duel, I'm wondering if it's possible to have multiple duels taking place at the same time without hindering each other. But I'll probably give this its own thread one of these days.

Assault...on this forum, I feel very controversial in saying that I like the UT2004 version A LOT more than the UT99 variant. Sure, AS-Mothership kinda felt out of place and the shieldgun's alt fire was annoying at times, but these were minor gripes. IMHO, everything else was just better than the original. Objectives were better marked, there were plenty of shortcut opportunities (which I doubt UT99 fanatics even bothered to discover), a nice variety in stock maps, originality, decent bot support and vehicles added but didn't break the game.
    The bad thing here isn't that I disagree with the opinion of others. It's that they cannot convince me at all. There are some nice movies out there, but all I can think of is "yeah...if both teams use exploits, things are even again. Thanks but no thanks. I'll pass".

But enough about assault. Onslaught...there are some discussions on the orb worth checking into. Opinions differ as how it should be solved, but general consensus is that it's broken in the way UT3 handles it. Roughly the same about the necris vehicles, by the way. All in all, I'm surprised how relatively many just do not want them in the game in the first place.

@others reading this thread. Guys...I know you're making these suggestions in the hopes it'll be a stock gametype. But you might want to read the last paragraph again:
    Originally posted by Steven Polge View Post
    We’d like the community to lead efforts to bring back popular community-created gametypes and develop entirely new gametypes for Unreal Tournament.
    I like how you all show your enthusiasm for your gametype, but...please do not just plea to Epic about making it. The stock gametypes will probably be announced rather soon, and we all know not all our favorites will be in it (as it stands, I even hope my own favorite - BR - won't be in it). Take a look at the introduction thread: there are quite a number of volunteers, mappers, developers, coders and so on in this forum. So don't fret if your favorite doesn't make the cut for stock gametype, but instead encourage others to create the gametype as a custom mod from the start. Help out any way you can. Encourage them, support them, learn about the editor yourself, make sure to play every alpha, beta or finished product as much as you can or even sponsor them whenever you can.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT should include all core features that made it to UT in the best possible new package. Why is this step needed? You have a direct and unbroken link to your UT series where you came from. To develop UT to the next chapter means for me to use all new features from your new game engine as a delicate enhancement. An enhancement for example like real water, wind, fire or ice effects that have an effect on the game visible aspect are one chapter, much more interesting are the game feeling and gameplay feedback effects by more realism. These effects need to be a useful, accepted/(honoured) and indispensable needed logical part of the map itself. With such positive kind of wise gameplay enhancements UT can refresh itself probably to a new game feeling. (Includes also for example moving assault objectives/ or movable/ moving game objects like for example trapdoors, drawbridges and others.)

To step back to the start from my reply, even after you add every possible new feature to the game, the players still need to identify the game as Unreal Tournament. Everything else the community can include, incase it is easy to integrate, in new maps and mods day by day!

I can remember a modification for UT99 named ctf4. I was not able to play it in real online multiplayer games myself. Maybe you can deduct new ideas out of it for a separate new three or four teams game mod. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TKlqZMo5Ck)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The focus of the new core experience is around competitive play. That should be reflected in the gametypes. The core of UT's competitive scene was focused on 1v1 and CTF. I think larger 4-16 player DM is also part of the core experience. Obviously 1v1 is just a special case of TDM. So I'd put the initial focus on DM/TDM, followed by CTF.

To facilitate a better competitive experience, we should look at what other games have done. Starcraft has a lot of nice features in their ladder. I like the leagues. I like the matchmaking. At least for 1v1, I like how the game pauses if someone is lags out hard. Even with UT historically being client-server, an auto-pause would be nice. Resume from replay is a cool feature. DOTA/LoL have a lot of good spectator options. It'd be nice to facilitate that.

I'd also take a look back at what made Rocket Arena great. I don't know if I'd call it a lobby system.. but being able to join an arena, watch whoever is up, and queue up yourself is a great social experience. Rocket Arena was always one of the most popular and competitive mods. It was a lot more than just rocket jumps.

I'd also wonder if there's more of the gametypes that can be modularized for mutators. Since we're starting from the ground up, it's a good time to rethink interactions with mutators.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think all the UT99 modes should be back as well as Bombing Run.
    Maybe some vehicle oriented modes in the future, like Carball.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/carball

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by van Kuss View Post
    Instagib is a mutator, so every game mode has an Instagib variant
    Yeah I meant the option to have it, think it will attract alot more players

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Must be at standart:

- DM
    - VCTF (UT2004, mantarun yes, no hoveboard)
    - TAM
    - TDM
    - iCTF
    - BR
    - FREON
    - CTF
    - DOMINATION

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by nuxx View Post
    Instagib should be included along with DM/TDM/CTF, it has quiet a large community presence, at least in the UT99 scene
    Instagib is a mutator, so every game mode has an Instagib variant

Leave a comment:

Working...
X