This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] UT Gametypes Design

This forum is for the discussion of gametype ideas for Unreal Tournament. Epic will be following the discussions in this forum, but right now our design bandwidth is primarily focused on movement mechanics.

Epic will be closely involved in and leading the design and development of the core gametypes (those that we shipped in our previous titles, like Deathmatch, CTF, Onslaught, Assault, etc.). We’re very interested in your ideas about how to move these gametypes forward.

We’d like the community to lead efforts to bring back popular community-created gametypes and develop entirely new gametypes for Unreal Tournament.

I'm very happy that onslaught and assault are included out of the box
    Thanks!

We’re very interested in your ideas about how to move these gametypes forward.
    To be honest the gametypes were perfect. Don'd add or take from them.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 05-12-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Both assault and onslaught should have vehicles. Then map designers and server hosts can decide what to do with the options.

Comment

In ut2004 there were Assault maps that could be played as Trials, I don't know if it's a good idea to make it a gametype on its own (just like TAM was born as a TDM mutator)

Comment

Some thoughts on the core types you mentioned, based on the fun my friends and I have had over the years:
          - DM/TDM, CTF and Assault: Perfect. No need to change these at all.
          - Onslaught: It would be great to include hoverboards, as these were a hoot. Perhaps, though, as a server option with translocators being the alternative? Warfare style orbs seem to split opinion, so perhaps again have these as an option.

As for other gametypes, I would love to see Invasion back again. And vCTF - complete with hoverboard option. Many, many hours spent on these types.

Comment

Bunnytrack is a popular gametype in ut99 made by the community. It's like parkour. I think it's very unique and amazing, but not sure if it should be a standard gametype.

Comment

Yea invasion with update monsters (skaarjs: pupapes, queen, skaarj warrior, berserk, warlord ect.) would be nice. VCTF and Onslaught is something that needs to come back for future generations. Domination that is based on UT99's version that has 3 or more nodes that are totally depended on the map size. Finally I suggest Jailbreak, it is a fun mod that is similar to LMS.
              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by borgqueenx View Post
                Both assault and onslaught should have vehicles. Then map designers and server hosts can decide what to do with the options.
                Same goes for hammerjumping/launching..ie ut99 features for assault.please make it available. If an author feels this is unfair he can simply build or blocking Actors or doors making launching useless.. Others can choose to make launching or hammerjumping an part of the strategy and make it usefull. Vehicles can be included to the authors taste too..

Comment

Originally posted by Pykenike View Post
                  Same goes for hammerjumping/launching..ie ut99 features for assault.please make it available. If an author feels this is unfair he can simply build or blocking Actors or doors making launching useless.. Others can choose to make launching or hammerjumping an part of the strategy and make it usefull. Vehicles can be included to the authors taste too..
                  UTAssault.net represent!

- (AoR) Humphro
                  also known as Humphro

Comment

Needed:
                    CTF
                    DM
                    TDM
                    Domination
                    + Instagib for all game types.

ONS, BR, AS etc were all rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by McFly View Post
                      Needed:
                      CTF
                      DM
                      TDM
                      Domination
                      + Instagib for all game types.

ONS, BR, AS etc were all rubbish.
                      I'm channeling all the negative energy in my chakra directly to you.
                      also known as Humphro

Comment

After reading through the other post about which Domination people would like to see, I proposed an idea which I think may work since it's a little closer to another gametype that is widely accepted while still being Domination-ish in that you could just grab a point and jet off somewhere else if you want without being required to stay there, even though you'd probably want to. Figured I'd post it in the official gametype thread as well.

Originally posted by StarMech View Post
                        It's not unknown even to those who like either of the previous Domination gametypes that it wasn't very well received for the most part. I have always preferred UT99's Domination, even though I identify myself as a 2k4 player. Regardless, even the original Domination was kinda lacking in my opinion.

The Gametype:
                        Domination with 1 active point at a time with about 2 to 4 possible point locations depending on level.
                        Matches are 5 minutes long and the point moves every 30 seconds OR
                        matches are 10 minutes long and the point moves every 45 seconds OR
                        matches are 15 minutes long and the point moves every minute.

The time limit and how fast the point moves could be customized of course, but I feel like one of those setups (probably the 10 minutes one) would work best.

Match would be decided by either fulfilling the goal time amount, or if the losing team no longer has enough time to come back. An example of the second possibility: in a 10 minute game, Red is at 5 minutes of control and Blue only has 3. If the match time falls below 2 minutes and it's impossible for Blue to catch up, it ends and Red gets the victory to save wasting time in a game that becomes impossible to win.

After the inital game starting spawns, spawns would happen away from the other team so there are no mass spawn kills. If Red traverses away from the point in an attempt to spawn kill Blue, then Blue would just spawn next to the point and take it.

Why I think it would work as a gametype:
                        Let me start by using an example from MLG's custom King of the Hill setup for Halo 3 map The Pit. There were 3 possible hill locations. A neutral hill in the middle of the map, a hill near the Red base, and a hill near the Blue base. The game's hill movements were predictable. The match would start with the neutral hill which the teams would fight over for a bit, then after a minute the hill would move to the Red base. Once a team grabbed the hill and successfully killed the other team, they would get into position to guard the hill with one guy standing in it of course. The defending team would usually have a bit more of an advantage as they would watch as the other team came through to try to stop them ahead of time. If the opposing team wanted to take the hill, they would have to regroup after a failed attack and work together. If the Red team does their job well, then they would sit in the hill for most of, or the entire duration that the hill was in that position.

However, after another minute or so, the hill would move back to the neutral spot in the middle and a new fight for map control would take place, giving the team who may not have successfully taken the hill back from them a chance to redeem themselves. The hill would move as so: neutral, red base, neutral, blue base, and then repeat. It was predictable and often times the fight for map control would start before the hill even moved, so it was interesting to see how the teams decided to handle it, whether they stay in the hill they own, ditch it and try to gain control of the next area ahead of time, or attempt to do both. The teams work together as an entire team to take that one point instead of splitting up to work almost individually or in 2 man teams to take multiple points.

Why I think it would work from a casting/viewer standpoint:
                        Think back to UT99's Domination. A map with 3 or 4 points. Could you imagine trying to cast that in detail? You simply can't. There's no way to keep the viewers informed of everything that's going on regarding the points, and as a viewer it's less interesting because you're not seeing all of the important action. With this approach there's only one focal point and it's easy to see who's in control, who's trying to take control, where the action is going to happen, and when a team takes control from the other one. The caster will be able to inform the viewer of all the important stuff going on, and the viewer can easily see the deciding factor events instead of seeing only some of them and that makes viewers happy.

Conclusion:
                        I think what would set Domination apart from King of the Hill is that you aren't required to stay in a designated area, so getting posted up to defend a point could be pretty widespread. It would still feel very UT-ish and possibly be a fresh take on Domination.

I'm interested to see what you guys would think about this because ultimately Domination needs a rework.
                        Last edited by x3-StarMech; 05-14-2014, 04:57 AM. Reason: Better wording.
                        Work:
                        Gametypes: Lockdown
                        Mutators: Moving Combos Only

Comment

I would definetly love to see Domination and Bombing run gametypes back to new UT. Although there is something that I think all of you guys need to be aware of. A word "Tournament" meens that there is a reward in the end for a winner or a champion. UT99 and UT2004 had great trophies and trophy room ( I think that I liked even more trophies and trohy room from UT99 ) I was very dissapointed knowing that UT3 didn't have trophies, it just didn't felt like a Tournament, like it did in previous series. I'm really looking forward that you guys will notice this and do it well, and I hope that the design of a trophies for all gametypes will be outstanding and made in truly Epic way!

Comment

Originally posted by R1chieXD View Post
                            Bunnytrack is a popular gametype in ut99 made by the community. It's like parkour. I think it's very unique and amazing, but not sure if it should be a standard gametype.
                            Does anyone also remember playing UT Olympics mod for UT99? I forget the actual name, but it had stages for each weapon in the game to help you master the various weapons. Something like this wouldn't hurt for new people. I really enjoyed it. It could be added as a weapons tutorial of some sort to the actual game, or just left as a mod to develop for later on. I'd be happy with either.

Comment

Assault without vehicles !!!! Simply does not fit into this gametype, ONS should have vehicles, but please... No AS. Assault should focus on good team boosts and weapons balance (My last answer about this gametype https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ll=1#post43261)

For example, please check the playability AS maps in UT2k4 and UT. I'm a big fan of AS gametype and I think that AS in UT2k4 with vehicles, scale map and idea objectives (in which the player had to include the target in turn,
                              without the ability to override any) was poor. Moreover, in UT 99 this gametype was very popular and even clans in "League Assault" which allowed to organize tournaments in this gametype survived longer than the clans in the basic modes TDM - CTF.

AS - without vehicles, objectives idea with UT 99, modest scale of the map but with a terrific idea for a construction (Ocean Floor, Mazon)

ONS, vCTF - with vehicles

Comment

Working...
                              X