Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamemode: Assault - UT99 or UT2k4 style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gamemode: Assault - UT99 or UT2k4 style?

    And if anyone says warfare or whatever that **** in UT3 was, I WILL CUT THEM.

    Seriously though, part of what kept this game amazing for me in those two iterations was the Assault mode as it was something rather unique that had never really been prevalent in an FPS before which was maps based off the basic concepts of a singleplayer game, but was a versus mode. While people like to knock it as one of the somewhat less popular gametypes in 2k4, a big part of what got 99 going in a big way was the AS gametype, and I would REALLY like to see it make a comeback.
    361
    UT99 style
    43.21%
    156
    UT2k4 style (NOT RACEMAPS OR TRIALS!)
    34.63%
    125
    Both!
    22.16%
    80

    #2
    UT2k4 Assault was my favorite game type out of all of them. Convoy, Junkyard, FallenCity, Robot Factory, etc... These maps along with this game mode were the best times I have ever had gaming. I didn't play UT 99 assault. I would really like to see it comeback in the new UT as well.

    Comment


      #3
      UT2K4 Assault changed my life. Literally. To not have it would be criminal. I would pay hundreds of dollars if it would guarantee it being in the game. 2k4 style...

      Comment


        #4
        Convoy had great feel to it. To steal a weapon was always a masterstroke. It had great pace and my heart always sung its tune.

        Comment


          #5
          As far as the style differences outside of movement mechanics (that should depend on the basic game mechanics, not just Assault), I liked UT2K4 because it was much easier to not have a draw with the scoring system. Too often in UT99 the maps would end in a draw. The weapon lockers and moving spawn points were also a solid concept in UT2K4. There may have been some custom UT99 maps with moving spawn points but I think the core maps all had stationary spawn points. Having moving spawn points and weapon lockers adds a greater sense of flow and makes it easier to make complex, large maps. I'm not a fan of vehicles, but the way they were used in AS-Glacier and AS-Junkyard was actually pretty good: there was a single vehicle on the attacking side that was required to take some objectives. As long as there aren't any core maps that essentially turn into vehicle combat arenas, I'll be OK with vehicles. The one thing I liked about UT99 AS that was removed in UT2K4 AS was the boosting. I understand limiting team-boosting, but I think self-boosting should be allowed. At the very least it should be possible to use the impact hammer/shield gun to boost oneself.

          Comment


            #6
            UT99 Assault all the way.Its atmosphere was awesome.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by VS Vedanth Salian View Post
              Convoy had great feel to it. To steal a weapon was always a masterstroke. It had great pace and my heart always sung its tune.
              Fully agreed.
              But I hated robot factory and mothership. :\

              Apart from the turrets, Convoy was more like UT99 assault, for what that matters.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by VS Vedanth Salian View Post
                Convoy had great feel to it. To steal a weapon was always a masterstroke.
                Or, in many cases, a noob move by a person charging into the defense with a shock rifle.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I played both versions of AS to death and competed in both, I would want a mixture of both. Movement of 2k4, with the launching of 99. Tricks are what helps to make Assault great, beating the clock.

                  ****** ship was terrible.

                  Sorry Arwen <3

                  EDIT
                  I will refrain from voting unless "Both" means a mixture. DO NOT HAVE TO SEPERATE TYPES and split the community....again.
                  Last edited by Lostsoul; 05-13-2014, 05:08 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It was so bad they even block the first word....

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I don´t understand this thread. Assault is the same in UT99 and UT2004. The only difference is vehicles in some UT2004 levels, and of course, the maps are different and longer in UT2004. But, if you want, you can create longer maps in UT99 and more triggers with the editor. So, vehicles is the only change ¿?
                      And i don´t know why you don´t consider trials and race assault. There is no deathmatch , CTF trial or invasion trial. They are assault, but they may become a new game mode, maybe.
                      Answering to your question, i prefer UT2004 maps, and love trials and races.
                      Last edited by izark; 05-13-2014, 05:43 PM.
                      https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...rMJrFRqLvK4HoR

                      Comment


                        #12
                        No, more differences than that.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          > And i don´t know why you don´t consider trials and race assault.

                          Because it would essentially be the same as saying BunnyTracks is CTF. You can use the programming and features from one game mode to create an entirely different game mode just by building a map a particular way. The trails and race AS maps are not even close to the same game as the stock AS maps.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by LagMasterSam View Post
                            As far as the style differences outside of movement mechanics (that should depend on the basic game mechanics, not just Assault), I liked UT2K4 because it was much easier to not have a draw with the scoring system. Too often in UT99 the maps would end in a draw. The weapon lockers and moving spawn points were also a solid concept in UT2K4. There may have been some custom UT99 maps with moving spawn points but I think the core maps all had stationary spawn points. Having moving spawn points and weapon lockers adds a greater sense of flow and makes it easier to make complex, large maps. I'm not a fan of vehicles, but the way they were used in AS-Glacier and AS-Junkyard was actually pretty good: there was a single vehicle on the attacking side that was required to take some objectives. As long as there aren't any core maps that essentially turn into vehicle combat arenas, I'll be OK with vehicles. The one thing I liked about UT99 AS that was removed in UT2K4 AS was the boosting. I understand limiting team-boosting, but I think self-boosting should be allowed. At the very least it should be possible to use the impact hammer/shield gun to boost oneself.
                            There were definitely moving spawn ports in UT99 even in standard maps such as AS-Overlord. boosting and Team boosting is the best thing about UT making assault far more dynamic and not so linear.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by awergh View Post
                              There were definitely moving spawn ports in UT99 even in standard maps such as AS-Overlord. boosting and Team boosting is the best thing about UT making assault far more dynamic and not so linear.
                              It's been so long since I've played UT99 Assault that I had forgotten. I guess for some reason the UT2K4 maps seemed more mobile overall. The problem with team boosting in UT99 Assault is that it made for some pretty ridiculous situations where you either had to defend awkward launch points on defense, or do some awkward trick just right on offense to make a successful launch. Many of those launch tricks could only be learned by practicing with friends outside of a standard game. That kind of highly specialized practice should not be necessary just to understand what is going on in a game/map. A player would be completely lost without having practiced those tricks. However, the stock maps without those launch tricks were too easy to defend which means the maps just needed to be designed better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X