Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamemode: Assault - UT99 or UT2k4 style?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope it does.

Also, I think Assault is still open for new innovation. I have an idea about a dynamic spawnpoint that players can control, and opposing team can destroy

Comment

Originally posted by fatJeff View Post
      So what is the actual State? Is anyone working on it?
      Epic has added it to Trello board (https://trello.com/c/OVSFKjld/76-assault)
      so at least it's planned in new UT

Comment

Okay Thanks

Comment

Yes Convoy in UT2K4 was great, the way everything moved in a FPS was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Met` View Post
            Voted UT99 Style due to the teamwork and use of game/weapon mechanics to their full potential.

The new UT should absolutely include team boosting using any and all guns.

I've used weapons countless times to not only boost my teammates toward objectives in all game types, but to boost them out of harms way.

Example:
            My teammate has a lapse of judgement / awareness about whats going on around him and I save his *** by pushing him to a safer location.

Options.

• Shock Primary for a small boost.
            • Shock Combo for a larger boost.
            • Impact Hammer Launch/Multiple Impact Hammer Launches for Boost / Substantial Boost
            • Goo Gun full BIO load to a teammate to propel them forward.
            • Goo Gun BIO load onto the ground in front of a teammate while he simultaneously jumps and receives a boost upward and in his original direction of travel.
            • Ripper Blade Secondary Fire Splash Damage to push a teammate off of my objective because I want the points
            • Flak Cannon Secondary at a teammate to boost them.
            • (6) Rocket launch spread to launch multiple teammates at one time, possibly using the angular momentum gained by a slanted wall. [AS-Mazon Starting Position]
            • (6) Rocket launch cluster pack to the back of the left knee joint for an absolute 45 degree trajectory angle.
            • Sniper bullet to the head, lift them off the ground a bit, make sure they're paying attention.
            • Redeemer - Shoot them off the map just for the heck of it. He'll respawn, and were friends.

Keep in mind that while all of these are types of boosting, if you screw it up. You have just wasted precious time and resources.

Nothing better than rushing forward knowing the enemy team may be attempting a launch only to kill the Launcher when he has 4 rockets loaded, waiting for the 5th and 6th.
            Enemy teammates just standing there, "Why the hell did you stop loading...oh ****, Billy died" - Scramble!

Team boosting is not a problem, there is always a counter to it.
            One of the simplest ways... kill the enemy... and keep them dead.

If you shoot a gun at an enemy player, and he gets launched up into the air/away from you, the same should effect should occur if you shoot a teammate.

Properly timed jumps against enemy fire allow the player to take potentially less damage as well as create some distance between the two of you.

As for respawn time... hell to the no.
            I'm sorry you died, now get your *** back in the game and don't let it happen again.
            Call it a learning experience.

UT is a no-holds-barred fight to the death. Which should be gritty, raw, and bloody.
            Get Michael Bay to design the rocket launcher.

- Met` | [nTs]Metal_Mouth | metalut | NAAT|Met`
            Quoted for emphasis.
            Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

who is working on this? Can anyone keep us up to date, what the actual progress is? Just curious about it and really looking forward when it's first implemented in the pre-alpha. (i know it says 2015)

edit: btw nice video of met. From minute 20:50 on, it shows the heart of ut99 assault

Comment

Originally posted by fatJeff View Post
                edit: btw nice video of met. From minute 20:50 on, it shows the heart of ut99 assault
                Agreed. Message too short apparently.

Comment

If Assault comes to UT4 ill be the first one to remake AS-Protocore, I spent soooo long making that map with the community, I think it is still played today. I was always annoyed that epic picked AS-Outback over mine when they announced the official map pack
                  Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
                  Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
                  Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

copying and pasting from the other assault thread cuz im lazy

If they bring back assault im afraid it will not be the same as ut99 (and this is a very bad thing), I was a veteran assault player back in the day and i can say without a doubt it is the most synchronized team based game mode ever made, not one game has ever even closely replicated the teamwork required for assault. the reason I say it wont be the same is because ut99 assault mode evolved into something EPIC never intended, bugs and exploits for each map were quickly found out after the games release, by some sort of luck they ended up making assault a one of a kind game mode, these exploits were known as tricks and tactics and completely defendable, so it was fair.

Along with the exploits it showed us how powerful of a tool the impact hammer could be and soon hammer launches were discovered, double hammer launches, boot hammer jumps, different types of rocket launches one for distance and one for height, etc. the only downfall of this was that their was a deeper learning curve from the rest of the ut99 modes (you needed to learn the maps, practice your hammer jumps, find out what works and what doesn't etc) and while on defense you had to place your team carefully at strategic places that compliments their style of play, if you had a guy that was insane with a sniper rifle you would place him high to guard against launches that could skip many objectives, while you had 2 mini gunners on the ground for control of rushes. I really dont think they will allow this again since n00bs will not wanted to play against people that take the time to learn the maps and exploit weaknesses in defense, Sucks really

people that want ut2k4 assault simply never played ut99 assault, its a night and day diffrence,

by the way they're people in this thread that have mastered Assault (HI TWNZ), they really know what they are talking about, Its really hard to describe just how fluid and organic ut99 assault gameplay was with all the tricks and launches and a non linear approach, it never felt cheap when the other team pulls off a ridiculously organized hammer launch because its completely defendable as long as your place your team in strategic positions, and you can bet every pro assaulter in this thread can tell you the feeling you get when they are guarding the final objective with 1 min left in the game, you will never feel adrenaline like that ever from ANY game.

If by some miracle Epic listens to us and gives finally a real sequel to ut99 assault, ut4 will literally be like crack for me Lol
                    Last edited by KingKilla; 03-19-2015, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKilla View Post
                      If by some miracle Epic listens to us and gives finally a real sequel to ut99 assault, ut4 will literally be like crack for me Lol

+1 ! Assault Makes so much more fun with hammer and rocketlaunches!

Comment

I want either, but please adapt the maps:
                        nreal Tournament

saludos

Comment

If you want assault UT99 maps then you should adapt the maps played by the assault community for 15 years and these are NOT default maps...
                          These are maps like AS-Ballistic, AS-Bridge, AS-Siege][, AS-GolgothaAL, AS-Golgotha][AL , AS-Riverbed]|[AL (the fun factor in these maps is just not comparable with Standard stock maps)

Comment

ok edit after actually reading the thread:

indeed, 2k4 improved a lot of the broken stuff in UT99. Almost all of these fixes to the core game play were positive. Even the movement added more depth. EVEN vehicles should not be vetoed without second thought: they make possible objectives based around them. EVEN controllable cannons might be ok if properly balanced. The "fix" for launching, though, was ridiculous for the Assault community and quite an epic fail looking at the then very large existing utassault community. It can be fixed now easily in the new UT with a launching mutator. surely some maps will be only playable with launching. but they should be on the servers anyway and people should be "wtf , how did they win ??" (see below)

In the thread it boiled down to the question of how to teach launching to people: heres my ideas on that:

1) maybe give the impact hammer a tentatively hinting name like gravity gun (TM) . Im sure that at least hammer launching is trivial to make a tutorial for.

2) rocket launching - if the RL will again support the many different modes as in UT99 (again a core game design) - will be extremely hard to explain. Its impossible to do in a tutorial but it should be still there and people should be surprised how some team suddenly won on a public server. That is the way that people learned it in the first place. And that is the way how a several 1000 people large community was developed.
                            people will start to discuss and learn launching by themselves. player who know launching will be on both teams on public servers. so nobody will lose 10 maps in a row without knowing what happened and quit As forever.
                            As for a tutorial people simply should be told that it exists - not how to perform a particular one. This will prevent them from ragequitting from publics and make them curious instead.
                            Last edited by unsobor; 03-29-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKilla View Post
                              copying and pasting from the other assault thread cuz im lazy

If they bring back assault im afraid it will not be the same as ut99 (and this is a very bad thing), I was a veteran assault player back in the day and i can say without a doubt it is the most synchronized team based game mode ever made, not one game has ever even closely replicated the teamwork required for assault. the reason I say it wont be the same is because ut99 assault mode evolved into something EPIC never intended, bugs and exploits for each map were quickly found out after the games release, by some sort of luck they ended up making assault a one of a kind game mode, these exploits were known as tricks and tactics and completely defendable, so it was fair.

Along with the exploits it showed us how powerful of a tool the impact hammer could be and soon hammer launches were discovered, double hammer launches, boot hammer jumps, different types of rocket launches one for distance and one for height, etc. the only downfall of this was that their was a deeper learning curve from the rest of the ut99 modes (you needed to learn the maps, practice your hammer jumps, find out what works and what doesn't etc) and while on defense you had to place your team carefully at strategic places that compliments their style of play, if you had a guy that was insane with a sniper rifle you would place him high to guard against launches that could skip many objectives, while you had 2 mini gunners on the ground for control of rushes. I really dont think they will allow this again since n00bs will not wanted to play against people that take the time to learn the maps and exploit weaknesses in defense, Sucks really

people that want ut2k4 assault simply never played ut99 assault, its a night and day diffrence,
                              Lol
                              I dont see why they couldnt implement the hammerjump / rocketlaunch to the version of assault in ut4 tbh. I also played the ut99 version about every freaking day from 1999 untill 2003 , bring back all standard league maps (http://www.utassault.net), it's time to assault the base!

Comment

Working...
                              X