Improvements for assault gametype.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improvements for assault gametype.

Here are improvements I'd like to see in assault game mode.

So basicaly, on team attacks, the other team defends, with a time limit where the round ends and teams swap sides (The one that attacked, now defends, while the team that defended now attacks.) which is stays original.

But, here is a change i want to see in the gameplay: instead of just complete objective to unlock the next room with the next objective, which basicaly causes choke point spam-fest, which give boring gameplay and lack of variety in tactics, just spam rush-fest.

My suggestion is make all objectives complete-able at the same time.

Example:

Lets "Imagine" a map:
    A heavly defended Nuclear base, the attackers must stop the nuclear bomb launch, If the attackers manage to stop the nuclear launch countdown, the attackers attacked succefully, It doesent matter if they completed the other objectives:

The Other Objectives can be:
    - Deactivate Defence systems.
    - Destroy the radio tower and Air base (By placing Explosive charges) to prevent from the defenders getting reinfrocoments such as vehicles.
    - Shutdown the powerplants that supply the base defences (By hacking terminals.) to shutdown the defences. (defences are such as Turrets, The Ion cannon if any of you played UT2004 AS-robotfactory, the sentinels, minigun turrets, etc.)

But if the attackers completed those "Side" objectives that i mentioned above, it does not mean that they can forget about them, for example the defenders can eliminate away the attackers that shutdown the powerplants and simle restore back the terminals and activate base defences again, but ofcourse no all objectives the defender can restore back, such as the destroyed Radio tower and air base (They have to rebuild it back, but in that time the attackers will able to complete the main objective: Stop the Nucler bomb countodown, which is the timelimit of the match.)]

Basicaly what i suggesting is enrich the assault gamemode, add more tactics and strategy to it, the assault on UT2004 was awesome, but what it looked like more like Rush-fest which isn't gave it a full assault-felling gameplay, make more team-play than rush-fest in the currect assault, some may choose to be infiltrators and infiltrate the Powerplant, being like the spyes from "Mission impossible" movie, some players choose to push from the front, the one who preffer infiltrating are basicaly supporting who preffer pushing from fron by disabling their defences, etc etc etc, that is what i call true assault game mode.

I say, Onslaught and assault have familiar gameplay, expect in ONS both teams can attack each other while in assault one team defends, one team attacks, In ONS there can be multiple link setups where you can attack 2 nodes, in assault you are limited to one room where all you do is rush and avoid getting killed or hit.

I want to see what you think about it, I'n my opinion it can make the assault game mode more intresting.
    Shock Therapy.

I agree that the ut2k4 Assault maps were rather rush-based. But so were ut99 default maps. These rush-based maps are important for newbies that are new to this particular team-based game mode and these maps suit them.

Theres good news however! Everything that you have mentioned is possible in the new Assault mod, its all down to the map maker to add optional objectives and additional routes. In our maps so far you can disable defender access routes, temporarily open shortcuts, and potentially events such as open new weapon or powerup caches.

Come play with us sometime and try out the new mod - there is a balance of rush-based and team-orientated maps for newbies and veterans alike.

Along with launching i can happily say the new Assault mod covers exactly what youre looking for

Comment

Pretty much every UT99 maps (except OceanFloor) require only one last objective. In OceanFloor it required to destroy monitors in different places to win. UT2004 maps were designed to beat all objectives (I think I prefer less linear UT99 style, but I would like maps to be longer, so you could not beat them in 20 seconds)
      My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by RNGuy View Post
        Pretty much every UT99 maps (except OceanFloor) require only one last objective. In OceanFloor it required to destroy monitors in different places to win. UT2004 maps were designed to beat all objectives (I think I prefer less linear UT99 style, but I would like maps to be longer, so you could not beat them in 20 seconds)
        Basicaly this, i was thinking about Large scale warfare assaut gametype maps where you are not forced to complete ALL objectives in order to unlock the MAIN one, seriously It would be very pathetic if all maps will be so short like in UT99, It wasn't even fun at all. I didn't played UT99, but i seen how assault maps we're in UT99 by youtube, and seriously, they are SOOO pathetic that It's just POINTLESS to play cause they dont give you any fun, seriously, even the rush-fest UT2004 styled assault was x1000 better than this pathetic UT99 assault maps, even if you have freedom to target the MAIN objective imedietaly without the need of completion of other objectives.

I'd Like the UT99 Styled assault, BUT, seriously, dont make maps where you able to complete them in 20 or less seconds, make LARGE maps, like LARGE WARFARE maps.

Well, maybe the game is still in alpha, but tell you very seriously, those maps like Overlord and other maps from UT99 maps just simply doesen't fit in this game, they should start working on much much bigger maps, not those tiny maps.

TL;DR:
        Dont port maps from UT99 to UT4, they are just lame, make much BIGGER maps.
        Last edited by maxim123; 10-05-2015, 04:50 PM.
        Shock Therapy.

Comment

I really like that idea, as long as it stayed as one main objective at once, because the big *** battles in UT2004 were quite cool

Comment

Originally posted by Obliterator2 View Post
            I really like that idea, as long as it stayed as one main objective at once, because the big *** battles in UT2004 were quite cool
            Too late, there's already mod and people playing it (but mostly PUGs). I think UT99 had longer custom maps too, rushfest are the Epic maps.

I want to give one good example from Team Fortress 2, map cp_steel: It have 5 objectives (A,B,C,D,E), at beginning only A and E are unlocked. Attackers can win by capping E, but capping A,B,C,D opening more doors and C raise bridge so E can be now reached without rocket jumps. Sometimes games won by capping E, but most of the times all 5 are capped. Attackers decide how they want to win game, and defenders have to split to defend 2 points.
            Last edited by nе_skaju; 10-06-2015, 04:16 AM.
            My map: CTF-MarketCrossing (WIP)

Comment

I agree with your points maxim123. But like Urgamanix said. In the actual assaultmod there are a lot of the things included you mentioned. Try out AS-Ballistic for example. It's a bigger map and you have optinal routes and it's very teambased. See the introduction video here:

Get the map here www.arcadious.com/maps-and-guides.php and try it out unhurriedly offline and tell us your opinion. At the moment the ai isn't working for assault, but just test it for yourself.

If you like what you see, feel free to play with us online. Visit us at irc.globalgamers.net #ut.assault
              UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
              UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
              UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

Working...
              X