Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Frag In A Row

What?
    When you die you start over from 0 frags in a row. Your highest frags in a row reached during the match is your score. If scores are tied then whoever reached the tied score first wins.

Why?
    It's more thrilling than Deathmatch because you care more about staying alive when you only need a frag or two more to move up on the scoreboard and dying now would send you all the way back to 0 frags.

Fighting comes more naturally than in Last Man Standing. If someone runs away and hides in a remote corner they're not going to get many frags so there is no need to force players to fight with camper reveals and health drain over time.

It's non-stop action. Unlike round based game modes you don't have to wait for the next round to respawn and try again.

Well, that's the theory at least. I have no idea if it would actually play well with a group of players who have figured out what strategies work best.

How?

1. Extract FragInARow0.1.zip in the UnrealTournamentDev folder.
    2. Select Play->Create a Game from UT's main menu.
    3. Click Create your own custom match.
    4. Go to the Custom tab.
    5. Select Frag In A Row from the Game Type drop down menu.

Where?
    The download is attached to this post.

v0.1
    Known bugs:
    • The scoreboard you see when pressing tab and the debriefing after the match ends both rank players with tied scores in the wrong order because they're made for DM, not FIAR. I'd like to know that the current stuff works without problems before throwing replacements for those into the mix as well. So for now it's only the HUD widgets that show the correct rankings.
    • The bots don't really try to stay alive since they're programmed for DM where "get a frag or two, die, and repeat as rapidly as possible" works. If the map isn't too crowded they still manage to get a good run occasionally.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Masur; 10-11-2015, 11:36 AM.

I'll give this a try once I've downed the dev side of the game... It should be called "Streakers" . Your name is a bit plain.

What would it take to make the bots be more survival-oriented the more frags they've picked up?

Comment

nice idea!

Comment

Originally posted by LotBlind View Post
        I'll give this a try once I've downed the dev side of the game... It should be called "Streakers" . Your name is a bit plain.
        It's a bit confusing but the different versions of the game are actually:
        • UnrealTournamentDev: The released version you run from the Play tab in the launcher.
        • UnrealTournamentEditor: The "map and everything else except C++"-editor you run from the Create tab in the launcher.
        • UnrealTournament-clean-master: The source code version you download from GitHub to edit the C++ code.

FIAR v0.1 is compatible with the released version, even after the Halloween update.

Yeah "Streakers" is a more fun and catchy name, made me chuckle. I'm also considering "Rampage" as a more mean name. Frag In A Row is descriptive along the same lines as Capture The Flag. I'm not sure which is better.
        What would it take to make the bots be more survival-oriented the more frags they've picked up?
        Wish I knew, finding ways to interact with C++ code through Blueprints is a labyrinth in the dark.

I'm hoping there will be a way for blueprints to tell a bot what priority to put on each type of task it could choose to do. For example this could increase the priority of "keep health and armor high" with each frag or a life steal mutator could set a high priority to "deal damage".

Comment

I love this idea, and myself, I actually play for the streaks online more than the overall score, I love earing these "killing spree !", "dominating !" and all of these, I think you could aslo add an other thing to the score, death streak, I don't know if it's a good idea, but if two players get stuck at let's say 16 kills in a row at the first place, but one died 3 time in a row when the other died 5 times in a row, the one who died less times in a row will be first and the other second, making players stuck at 5 or 6 in the botom of the board, league and trie to bother the best players, why not even ading something like, when a player is near or higher than the previous lead apear on the walls for the one strugling to get a lot of kills ? (if he dies, since his streak is stopped, he stop apear not making him apear all the time just because he's first.)

Comment

"Rampage" was the other name I had in mind, but why be serious? I think the lore and overall gritty tones of the series is its worst part. Mature taunts? You mean immature taunts?

I wouldn't complicate it by tracking deaths (spawn kill luck). I'm trying to think if there's merits to making the player who LAST gets a tying frag streak come ahead... I'm just not sure. Something about strategically waiting on the last few frags for as long as you can, but I dunno if that's ever worth just getting one more frag in :/

Originally posted by Masur View Post
            Wish I knew, finding ways to interact with C++ code through Blueprints is a labyrinth in the dark.
            Alone in the Dark (1992) has a labyrinth in the dark.

EDIT: I can only find a folder called UnrealTournament with subfolder Saved inside which there's Cloud, etc... Then there's Epic Games - UT - Portal/Engine etc. I just don't get where to put the file. Is the paks folder supposed to already exist?
            Last edited by LotBlind; 10-24-2015, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
              if two players get stuck at let's say 16 kills in a row at the first place, but one died 3 time in a row when the other died 5 times in a row, the one who died less times in a row will be first and the other second
              A tiebreaker would make things more complicated but might be needed since tied scores are more common than in DM because the average score is lower. I think the best tiebreaker might be that fastest time after respawning wins. Then your complete score would be for example 53:25 which means "5 frags in 3:25 after respawning"... let's pretend that smily is a skull icon.

Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
              when a player is near or higher than the previous lead apear on the walls for the one strugling to get a lot of kills ? (if he dies, since his streak is stopped, he stop apear not making him apear all the time just because he's first.)
              The purpose of putting one opponent up in the middle is as your next objective "get more frags than this". I can see the value of also highlighting opponents who currently have several frags in a row as separate objectives "shut this opponent down!". Maybe I'll put the number of current frags above people's ingame nametags, so when you see someone's name above their head you also see how importent it is to shut them down.

Alone in the Dark (1992) has a labyrinth in the dark.

EDIT: I can only find a folder called UnrealTournament with subfolder Saved inside which there's Cloud, etc... Then there's Epic Games - UT - Portal/Engine etc. I just don't get where to put the file. Is the paks folder supposed to already exist?
              Whatever it may be named on your system, the correct folder contains the folders Engine and UnrealTournament, two text files with names that start on Manifest, and UnrealTournament.exe.

Comment

Aa... I agree that who gets the frags in within the shortest length of time deserves the win.

You could mod the scoreboard that already shows you the top names to show a brighter color if their streak is still on instead of any separate indicators.

Hmm... I just updated to Win 10 and I guess Windows can't find all the folders for some reason. I just can't find UnrealTournament.exe for example. Looking into it.

EDIT: Lol after ages it finds it in C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UnrealTournamentDev

EDIT: Okay tried it. It's at least as good fun as regular DM for sure.
                Last edited by LotBlind; 10-25-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X