Do you want trial and races back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you want trial and races back?

I love trials and race maps. (and race trials)
    Would you like to see them back in this new UT?
    If assault and vehicles come back there will be race for sure.
    An trials will be back, sure. If the movement system of UT2004 is not the default option, mutators will do the job.

Who has not played As-Temple of trials, Egyptian Pyramid, Shield Gun trials... Well, i guess many people haven´t played those, and others think trials sucks and other things..
    ---I am asking the people who have played trials, not the people who have not.---

I played Temple of Trials, hell, i even hosted a server for that at one point. But I'm not really sure a dedicated game-type is necessary. I mean, they did not require one to exist before, and I am sure if someone wants to make new versions, they'll find a way, gametype or no. Really, the only reason I don't think they need their own type would be because I doubt there would be enough demand or even supply to really warrant it. As a personal rule, I would not think something needs a dedicated gametype unless there will be at minimum 10 high quality maps to support it. If all we get is three or four maps that could just as easily be assault, then it seems kinda pointless to be honest.

That being said, I'd play them if they existed, and if someone loved them enough to make them their own gametype, more power to them.

Comment

For context:

DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Yes! I loved trails and race maps. I played alot of Temple of Trails but my favorite was Trails of Movement.

Comment

Trials have been changed around where being on a multiplayer server is quite fun. There are group trials where you pair up to complete team objectives, solo maps where you battle each other live and quite a few other fun things. If assault does get created for UT4 and pretty sure this is going to happen, you will see trials come back.
          Creator of Llama Punter Network (Ban Management System) for UT2004
          UltraBTimes • GravVortexSwap • WhipMatch (gamemode) • Holly Jolly Deemer • Llama Punter • 50+ UT2004 Maps

Comment

I'd rather see Trials/BunnyHop as its own gametype. But I do enjoy playing those game modes every once in awhile, it's a relaxing sort of fun and good movement practice.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
              I'd rather see Trials/BunnyHop as its own gametype. But I do enjoy playing those game modes every once in awhile, it's a relaxing sort of fun and good movement practice.
              This.
              I agree about everything you said (also the fun and relaxing part + movement practice).

Considering that it was an "abuse" of the Assault gametype changing it in its core gameplay to something absolutely different, it might be better if someone mods a BH/Trials gametype to keep things structured in a proper way.
              If one wanted to find an Assault server that actually offered Assault, one had to dig through Trials and Race servers in UT2004 - which was an unnecessary amount of effort, considering people could have just made new gametype with the Assault features they need.
              S l y .

Comment

I'd like to see BT make it's way into the new UT

There are thousands of maps, short to long and easy to very hard

It's pretty similar to trials

I already did some work on the prototype and came up with this as a short movement test

There are a few issues which might prevent us from getting a mod like this, but if they can be overcome then there's no reason why someone can't bring BT to the future

At this stage i'm 95% certain that the base UT movement won't be suitable for BT

Comment

Very nice!

I like the multiwalldodge segment. This looks even much more fluent compared to the original imo.
                  S l y .

Comment

This is looking awesome @tigerclaw!
                    DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Comment

Originally posted by luauDesign View Post
                      For context:
                      UT had a similar gametype which was quite popular called "Bünnytracks" - it's based off of CTF where the objective is to capture a flag at the end but similar in concept. What your video didn't show was slope dodges or lift jumps and it looked more like a 'find your way' rather than someone highly skilled with movement. Check out the UT99 version:
                      Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

There are other maps that use different stuff, sloper dodges, wall jumps, bio+shield jumps, assault grenade jumps, etc. But I didn't want to flood the thread with a thousand videos.

Comment

My answer is both yes and no.

I loved temple of trials in that typical love/hate kind of way ("god damnit! I MADE that jump! I really did! I just lagged out!!! *tries AGAIN*"). And I have respect for those bunnyhoppers who manage to time their moves to the milli- or even microsecond precision. I don't mind that they're made in ****-ugly maps (Temple of trials was a huge exception, and even that actually looked 'average' at best) and I can dig their nailbitingly hard difficulty. So...yeah. If the next UT has these sort of things, I'll try them.

For racing...sort of the same, but less so. UT's vehicles were never designed for racing purposes. Hellbender-races were kind of fun...especially the fact that you could stop and shoot someone else off the tracks (at the same time risking that someone tried to do the same to you). But despite the fun: if I wanted to play a racer, I would have played one. This was just entertainment.

The 'no' is on the implied question 'Do you want epic to make this for you?'. It's epic's job to make a decent movement system that fits well with the weapons, environment, atmosphere...the whole shebang of a fast-paced shooter. Trials and bunnyhopping is something for the community. It's OUR task to create a ****-ugly subtracted cube with floating platforms and slime underneath and call it a gametype, even though it technically is still CTF or assault.

EDIT: ****...I'm already too late. Nice work, tigerclaw. You sure prove that this way of playing the game will be there no matter what epic thinks of it. :P
                          Last edited by Taleweaver; 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM.
                          My UT threads (latest: my take on defensive items, poll on the melee weapon's alt fire and My take on the storyline)

Comment

Yes to racemaps - and vehicle race maps.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Trial maps were pretty cool. Like DeFrag in Quake 3 Arena, gamemodes like this took the game mechanics to a new level and basically created their own community and perspectives what "skill" really means. Even if I'm not really got at it, I would welcome this as a nice addition, because it was always exciting to watch the pros doing this stuff.

I LIKE!

Comment

Working...
                              X