Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockdown (Moving Point/Area control gametype)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Lockdown (Moving Point/Area control gametype)

Lockdown

Preface
         I'd like to start by saying I am, in the grand scheme of things, very new to any sort of content creation aside from fidgeting in UEd and a little more in the UDK. These are pretty rough ideas that are super open to criticism and thoughts.

Overview
           Lockdown is a single point area control gametype, in which there are multiple nodes, but only one will be active at any given time. Teams begin by fighting for control of a neutral node. Once a team gains control, it must defend until that node's life ends, where the process repeats itself. Defending teams should have a slight disadvantage as to promote node ownership change and reduce shutout game occurrence.

Game Flow
           Maps will generally be symmetrical, though this gametype wouldn't really get hurt by asymmetrical maps provided both teams were given access to similar weapons at start. To help explain, below is a picture of what I believe would be an ideal map setup.

Teams would spawn at the A and C sites, while the first active node would be at B. The node would cycle in the repeating pattern of B,A,B,C. The node moves every x amount of seconds, and players have a countdown starting from 5 seconds before it moves. Node movement is predetermined so teams will know where it will be going and will fight over that area for control accordingly. The objective is to work as a team to lock an area down and keep the other team out if you are in control, and to rally up and bust through the defending teams lines to take control if you don't have it. Players will ideally spawn on the opposite end away from a team controlled node. For example, if Red team controls a node that's currently at B, the blue team will spawn along the back wall/area at P.

Alternatively, an A,B,C,(D),(E),A,B,C,... mode is available, but I'm unaware of how to expose the variable to the custom game creation screen to make it selectable.

The node:

To begin capturing a node, one must touch the ring in the middle of the area, which will stop spinning while being captured. The node can only be captured after 1 team has been inside for 5 seconds. If another team enters the node's area, the capture will be paused. Once the area is clear again, it will resume. Once a node is captured, the owning team will gain 1 point per second while a player is in the node's area. If an owning team has no players inside the area, after 5 second it will return to a neutral state. If a player returns before then, it will simply resume score incrementation. Node move time is currently 45 seconds.

No idea what would be a good team size, though I don't think we have any 3v3 focused gametypes, which could be cool.

Competitive Thoughts from the Spectators' Seat
         What originally made me think of this type of gametype was when everyone was asking the question of how to make spectating an FPS game interesting and fun, without constantly watching everyone in the dizzying first person perspective. Seeing how awesome the spectating experience is coming along for UT is exciting, and I'm sure the remaining issues are going to be worked out. One of the things that was hard to follow while watching Epic's CTF Exhibition matches was something that happens really often in Capture the Flag, that being when both teams have each other's flags at home waiting for a flag return to cap. Both teams are attacking at the same time, and it's really hard to follow all of that without some sort of split screen mechanic to watch both at the same time. It's cool to see a cap, but watching the flag just magically appear in a base without seeing the fight that allowed for that cap is anti-climatic in my opinion. With this gametype, there is only one main point of focus, which I believe would make watching easy.

As far as competitive play goes, I am far from an excellent player, so if this gained interest, I would need input from players.

Download PAK Here

Again, thoughts, ideas, and criticisms incredibly welcome.
    Thanks for reading, and thanks to the guys in the IRC channel that deal with my constant harassment of noob questions. :]
    Last edited by x3-StarMech; 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM.
    Work:
    Gametypes: Lockdown
    Mutators: Moving Combos Only

I'm a huge fan of the UT99 style Domination, and as such I'm also interested in how your mode will play.

I do think that there is a certain weakness. You only have one active goal in the game, controlling the one single point. Ofcourse, the point moves over time, and so does the action creating some ebb and flow, but there is still only basicly one strategy. I feel the original Domination has more depth. Your team may decide to focus on one of the three points to defend, or try to sweep all the three points in swift attacks. You'll have people finding paths and places of strategic importance in the map depening on what strategy is chosen, not just a full focus on one single quarter of the map at a time.

I do want to emphasise that this my personal opinion (strongly biased towards classic DOM), other people may think differently. Also, whatever happens it's nice to try out new game modes. I'll be watching your updates!

Comment

Very very interested in this, kinda like double domination from back in 2k4
      Your blueprints seem very refined and so does your HUD, very impressed and would love to playtest this sometime? <3
      "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
      "No, why."
      "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

From a spectators perspective, this might just be the most ideal UT gametype to watch. A spectator cam above each node will simply capture all 100% of the necessary gameplay action anyone would ever want to watch without focusing on any individual player. I guess the only issue is actually identifying any of the individual players in the heat of the action. Luckily, UT now has a marketplace for cosmetic items which means hopefully all pro players will have their own look and identity going into the future. That way, without having names displayed everyone will know who the major players are just by their individualized cosmetic items. I think this has some major potential, hats off to you (no pun intended).

Comment

I think in a lot of people's head, the idea of "Dominion/Domination" is associated with the classic 2/3 static control points idea (most FPS's have it this way). It's not a very good marketing strategy to lure players with confusion and hope they stay out of curiosity.

Why don't you rename it to something more "unique" such as "Sanctuary" with "SCT-MapNameHere" and add some depth to the game play?

For example: Make the capture require a specific amount of time (let's say 5) and when the control point is touched by someone, a force field is spawned and grows slowly, reaching its maximum range after the 5 seconds previously mentioned. Once this interval passes, the point is secured, stays in place for a while and then moves on to another spot. The force shield's use would primarily be to prevent this whole game mode from turning into a total spamfest (which I guarantee it will, the way you're describing it in the present iteration). Also, the "capture delay" would make the mode a bit harder, while also retaining the possibility to adjust/balance it according to the shield.

This was just a quick idea I had, others could come up with something way better, I'm sure of that, but there's no doubt in my head that you would need to do something unique with it, to set it apart.

I think the idea is super-cool, overall, but it needs more depth to make it unique and therefore unforgettable. Great job!
          Last edited by vlad.serbanescu11; 10-27-2015, 04:27 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Basalt View Post
            I'm a huge fan of the UT99 style Domination, and as such I'm also interested in how your mode will play.

I do think that there is a certain weakness. You only have one active goal in the game, controlling the one single point. Ofcourse, the point moves over time, and so does the action creating some ebb and flow, but there is still only basicly one strategy. I feel the original Domination has more depth. Your team may decide to focus on one of the three points to defend, or try to sweep all the three points in swift attacks. You'll have people finding paths and places of strategic importance in the map depening on what strategy is chosen, not just a full focus on one single quarter of the map at a time.

I do want to emphasise that this my personal opinion (strongly biased towards classic DOM), other people may think differently. Also, whatever happens it's nice to try out new game modes. I'll be watching your updates!
            Thanks for the insight! There are plenty of changes to be made still. Once I got the super barebones framework set up, I posted it just to see if there were any thoughts on something like this, so your comment is super helpful!

Originally posted by GGaben View Post
            Very very interested in this, kinda like double domination from back in 2k4
            Your blueprints seem very refined and so does your HUD, very impressed and would love to playtest this sometime? <3
            The HUD is just the standard HUD with a hacked up countdown randomly thrown in. Haha. Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing half of the time and it takes me a million tries to get something right. xD
            Sure! I still have an issue with the game crashing after the match ends, so until I get that figured out I won't be doing anything, but go ahead and add me and when I am, I'll let you know. :]
            I'm pretty sure our ID's are just our forum names, but in case it isn't for most people, mine is. Haha. StarMech. (That goes for anyone else who reads this too!)

Originally posted by Quadj130 View Post
            From a spectators perspective, this might just be the most ideal UT gametype to watch. A spectator cam above each node will simply capture all 100% of the necessary gameplay action anyone would ever want to watch without focusing on any individual player.
            This is exactly what made me think of this. With things like powerups, of course fights will happen other places and whatnot, plus teams will need ammo and everything else, but the most important thing can be easily covered. Thanks for the kind words!

Originally posted by vlad.serbanescu11 View Post
            I think in a lot of people's head, the idea of "Dominion/Domination" is associated with the classic 2/3 static control points idea (most FPS's have it this way). It's not a very good marketing strategy to lure players with confusion and hope they stay out of curiosity.

Why don't you rename it to something more "unique" such as "Sanctuary" with "SCT-MapNameHere" and add some depth to the game play?

For example: Make the capture require a specific amount of time (let's say 5) and when the control point is touched by someone, a force field is spawned and grows slowly, reaching its maximum range after the 5 seconds previously mentioned. Once this interval passes, the point is secured, stays in place for a while and then moves on to another spot. The force shield's use would primarily be to prevent this whole game mode from turning into a total spamfest (which I guarantee it will, the way you're describing it in the present iteration). Also, the "capture delay" would make the mode a bit harder, while also retaining the possibility to adjust/balance it according to the shield.

This was just a quick idea I had, others could come up with something way better, I'm sure of that, but there's no doubt in my head that you would need to do something unique with it, to set it apart.

I think the idea is super-cool, overall, but it needs more depth to make it unique and therefore unforgettable. Great job!
            That's a good idea. Especially since it will end up being only sort of similar to the other Dominations in the aspect of there being a point to control. I'll get to thinking. :]

I've been toying around with the idea of a capture delay as well, in addition to requiring a player to stay within a certain range of it or it will slowly return to a neutral node to give the defense a disadvantage. I'll get to giving those some shots and see how it works. As soon as I fix this weird end-of-game crash deal, don't be surprised if I ask you to check it out, Vlad. ;D

Thanks for the comments everyone!
            Work:

Comment

Originally posted by StarMech View Post
              As soon as I fix this weird end-of-game crash deal, don't be surprised if I ask you to check it out, Vlad. ;D
              As a CoD enthusiast, it would be both a pleasure and an honor to play the **** out of this!

Regarding that crash, if you post some details, I or someone else around here might be able to help you solve it.

Comment

Updated original post with new name, changed gameplay mechanics, and added a link to the PAK. First test PAK, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are numerous things wrong. Added in there is a modified version of DM-Chill that adds in the nodes. Please note that this is just to check out the mechanics.

With that being said, if anyone would be willing to throw together a level shell to better test some of this stuff out, please do. ;D. I'm going to try to put something together, but I'm no map maker. If you need to contact me for any reason, I'm usually in the IRC channel if not just running the launcher. ID is StarMech.
                Work:

Comment

Working...
                X