CTF Rewards Offense Too Much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF Rewards Offense Too Much

I've noticed if you want to gain any halfway decent amount of XP, you must capture the flag. Otherwise, your performance will depend on a lot of assists and returns. And I mean a lot, like, greater than 10 returns. Assists are the only action that come close to caps, in points. If your team is good at defense, you'll hardly be rewarded anything, if the enemy hardly lays their hands on your flag. This encourages allowing the flag to be taken. This discourages players from playing defense, and no one's going to be able to level up, not with the amount of XP you earn, unless you carry your team. Point values for defense need to be based on if you kill any enemy in base and if in base, how close were they to the flag. If they get the flag out, killing the flag carrier should have a greater reward, the closer to their base they get, the greater the reward, etc., etc. The translocator almost guarantees you'll get into the enemy base, so I think kills in neutral territory should remain as is, unless the flag is in play.

A lot of UT players have lives. We can't play all day, every day.

Returns are actually fairly easy to get exp with. If you kill a bot with the flag, you get a few bonus points. Add the flag return and you get a few more points. This happens much more often, and is easier to accomplish, than an entire flag run. You can get 200+ points this way, if something is stopping you from capturing the flag, such as other players.

Comment

I disagree, I think its pretty good right now. I normally play defense and I have no trouble staying in the top of the scoreboard. If your team isnt that good you will get a lot of flag carrier kills, if your team is good, you move forward and get a lot of assist points by defending the flag runners.
      PayBack

Comment

I think it's very fair right now. I've been lots of times top of my team simply defending 100% of the time (comes necessary on CTF-Blank depending on teambalance). Sometimes that can result in 25'ish flag returns which gives a ****load of points (350~450 at the end of the round), more than a few caps for sure. x)
        Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 11-03-2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I disagree with the OP also. Points seem balanced well between offense and defense (and this is coming from a player who primarily plays defense).

Comment

However, i dislike the fact that the game does not award points for taking an enemies flag, only for capturing. Therefore you could do an amazing flag run that lasts a while but for some reason it ends up getting returned before you can cap, you don't get any points or recognition for it. Maybe having someone's points increase by a little bit the longer they have the flag or something similar could work, but I guess further discussion is needed.
            "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
            "No, why."
            "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

Originally posted by GGaben View Post
              However, i dislike the fact that the game does not award points for taking an enemies flag, only for capturing. Therefore you could do an amazing flag run that lasts a while but for some reason it ends up getting returned before you can cap, you don't get any points or recognition for it. Maybe having someone's points increase by a little bit the longer they have the flag or something similar could work, but I guess further discussion is needed.
              I agree completely with GGaben. Unless you cap, actually flag running and avoiding death, no matter how long you do it, is by far the most unrewarding aspect of CTF at the moment.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

You do slowly get points for simply holding flag, it worked like that in UT3 too when for example holding orb in Warfare, unsure about CTF's flag but I assume it could have been there too. I've looked at the scoreboard meanwhile holding flag in a safe place and seen the point go up by one, although rather slowly, don't know how many secs you have to hold it for one point increase.

Comment

Then the rate is too slow.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                    Then the rate is too slow.
                    TBH, it should be rather slow, there's the cases where flag cappers might hold the flag for several mins sometimes (TitanPass in particular) so we can't under those circumstances give the flag runners like 100 points for that single flag cap. Right now the scoring between defenders and flag runners seem perfectly inbalance IMO, you see both great cappers and defenders at the top, usually 3 or so caps for the top flag runner vs 10-20 returns for the defender or so quite typically.

I don't see much point in changing it, for the first time in UT, scoring-wise, defensive play is legit way of scoring and keeps up with offensive play.

Scoring system IMO have to be balanced per stats, how high either playstyles scores in average when the match is over and right now it seems perfectly in balance IMO after having played quite a few CTF rounds with various skill levels. I would go as far as saying defensive play, scoring-wise on CTF-Blank pays off usually slightly more than offensive play, the harder the opposing team (ie. the weaker your team is), the more it pays off (since more often guys will touch your flag meanwhile your teammates will have a hard time capping).

In UT4 it's the first time I volunteerily play defensive quite often, in UT3 I mostly only cared for flag runs. :P
                    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 11-04-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

well i still think it should kick in sooner then cause by my observation just grabbing flag and managing to make it halfway back usually nets you nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X