Marksman [WIP]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Marksman [WIP]

What's up guys, I have started working on my own gametype for Unreal Tournament there's a lot to be done so don't expect it anytime soon xD I thought I would talk a little bit about it and take suggestions from the UT community.

Marksman Description:

There are 2 teams that start on opposite sides of a map and every player has a sniper (except for one on each time) and each team has an HQ where their team spawn is, there is 2 ways for a team to win. One is one team destroys the other teams HQ and the second is one team eliminates all of the other teams players or they reach a certain score on kills with their snipers (I haven't decided which one I want to do yet but most of what I have done so far has been geared toward the first idea.) The way to destroy the other teams HQ is with the rocket launcher which one player from each team will have and the players with the snipers are supposed to guard him.

What do you think so far and what do you think I should add or change? Thanks!
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%

It seems like an interesting concept. Let me first describe the mode in my own words:

- There are two teams
    - One player on each team has only the Rocket Launcher, all others have only the Sniper Rifle.
    - Each base has a object that can only be destroyed by the Rocket Launcher. This is one way to win.
    - The players have a limited ammount of lives. Killing all players of the other team is the second way to win.

A couple of questions/notes:
    - Having players fill different roles fixed with their loadout, would suggest a class system. I think this is very not UT-like.
    - What will happen when the Rocket guy dies. Will all living Snipers be prompted by the game if they want to respawn as the Rocket guy, or does one need to pickup the dropped Rocket Launcher?
    - Do all players have infinite ammo? Or are there ammopacks?
    - Are the snipers and Rocket guys seperated? So for example, are the Snipers stuck on a series of balconies, and the Rocket guys need to walk on the ground level? Architecture could make zones for the Rocket guy to stay out of sight completely.
    - How many lifes will people have?
    - Will your approach to the gamemode be on stealth mechanics or speed/reflexes?

Looking forward to your views on this.

Comment

so shootmania for ut eh?

Comment

Apart from what basalt put, I would like to add that it may be difficult without using maps that give the RL guy a lot of cover, snipers kill quickly.
        How will the players guard the rocket launcher guy? both teams have high amounts of people with hitscan weapons, which can't be blocked or countered.
        Will the RL guy have to sneak right inside to base, or will he be able to get in a couple of well placed shots from perhaps exposed areas of the map?

I like the idea of having a marksman type game, but I don't think this is the way to go atm. Would be happy to see you prove me wrong

Comment

I plan too and thanks for giving me your opinion

Comment

What will happen when the Rocket guy dies. Will all living Snipers be prompted by the game if they want to respawn as the Rocket guy, or does one need to pickup the dropped Rocket Launcher? Screen message will say something like "The rocket launcher has been dropped retrieve it" like i said still lots to do but i think it will be very fun

Do all players have infinite ammo? Or are there ammopacks? Ammopacks

Are the snipers and Rocket guys seperated? So for example, are the Snipers stuck on a series of balconies, and the Rocket guys need to walk on the ground level? Architecture could make zones for the Rocket guy to stay out of sight completely. No they are together or thats how I pictured it in my head, suggestions are always welcome to make it better

How many lifes will people have? 1, once they die they wait for a new round to start Still working on how i want to do the round system but I think this gives it more of a competitive edge.

Will your approach to the gamemode be on stealth mechanics or speed/reflexes? More speed/reflexes as the only advantage is your skill with the Sniper.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it and sorry for not describing it better

Comment

This could work quite well, but one suggestion...

We have it work like a search and destroy game mode, both teams spawn with all snipers but in the attackers spawn there is one RL pickup. Once you have the RL you are "the bomb carrier" and you have to destroy the thing, but if you die you drop the gun and it can be picked up only by the attacking team. One life each, the RL has infinite ammo but there are a lot of sniper ammo packs in game.

Maybe it would be worth making a custom Sniper for this? Maybe tone down the damage a bit but increase the delay between shots slightly? This would increase the speed of the game but also not make it one shot kill almost every time. It would also give the RL guy a chance c:

This could maybe be a variation of assault or CTF, where one flag base is replaced with the RL and the other is replaced with the objective to be destroyed.

It would also be worth asking how many shots would the RL have to hit on the objective to destroy it, because I feel one shot would be too easy to win, maybe 3 shots?
              that way it could be accomplished with one fully charged secondary it they have time oto charge it up <3

This could really help with the competitive scene, Im very interested
              "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
              "No, why."
              "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

We have it work like a search and destroy game mode, both teams spawn with all snipers but in the attackers spawn there is one RL pickup. Once you have the RL you are "the bomb carrier" and you have to destroy the thing, but if you die you drop the gun and it can be picked up only by the attacking team. One life each, the RL has infinite ammo but there are a lot of sniper ammo packs in game. --> What if we had them all spawn with Snipers and one person on each time is randomly chosen to spawn with the RL as well and then the rocket launcher can have basically infinite ammo, and yes only the attackers can pick up the attacker specific rocket launcher

Maybe it would be worth making a custom Sniper for this? Maybe tone down the damage a bit but increase the delay between shots slightly? This would increase the speed of the game but also not make it one shot kill almost every time. It would also give the RL guy a chance c: --> Good suggestion thanks! and there will need to be a blue_rocket_launcher for the blue team and another duplicate rocket launcher but a "different" RL in the games eyes for the other team so it easier to keep people from picking it up.

It would also be worth asking how many shots would the RL have to hit on the objective to destroy it, because I feel one shot would be too easy to win, maybe 3 shots?
                that way it could be accomplished with one fully charged secondary it they have time oto charge it up <3 --> Yeah i felt 3 or 5 shots would be best, I am gonna test the gametype with both then see which i like better :P

This could really help with the competitive scene, Im very interested --> Thats what I thought, thanks for all the suggestions and questions!

Comment

If you ever need/want feedback or testing or help on the gamemode PM me and we can skype sometime in the future?
                  "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
                  "No, why."
                  "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

Ok!

Ok sure sounds good!

Comment

Suggestion: you said how you would like it as a search and destroy gamemode.
                      How about instead of an RL have an enhanced version of the impact hammer that can kill anything up close while shooting out a deflection field. This person will recharge health bombing run style, and the goal will be to kill this guy (possibly let them drop the gun once or twice?)
                      This would make snipers have more of a support role and reduce "kill everyone that comes in, then attack" mentality.

Furthermore, using this method, you wouldn't have to create adaptation maps to suit your game-mode, and I feel that the ruleset can be abused less in general.

Comment

Thanks and I will take what you said into consideration c:

Comment

It doesn't seem like a bad concept. I think the map design would be key for this mod. I suppose you would want to have platforms or map positions the rocket guy can stand on where he can attempt to fire long range at the base target -- but then he's exposed to getting sniped.

The game mod market is going to be pretty challenging because you can anticipate that there will be several game types for people to play: Deathmatch, Team Death Match, Duel, Capture-the-Flag, Domination, Bombing Run, Invasion, Assault, and presumably eventually Onslaught/Warfare and vehicle-CTF in addition to Instagib variants of each game type. A Jailbreak mod is also a possibility.
                          Last edited by WHIPperSNAPper; 11-18-2015, 05:13 AM.
                          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Thanks for your opinion! I know with community support this gametype can go far!

Comment

Working...
                            X