Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why gametypes? (read with open mind)

New UT, new thought.

Why remake of the past UT series in term of gametypes/short history? I'm thinking in a new concept (well, not that new) about games inside the GAME.

Maybe you will hate the idea or love it but, why don't we make an unreal tournament mmo, or mmofps, or even better mmorpg (nodays this games are very popular, so we will have free advertisement) mixed with fps, that will be a mmorpgfps, something that I think has not been made yet (maybe I'm wrong, I have't played all titles).

I have played some mmorpg to realize that people like complexity, like player skills but usually developers don't give that instead they give some shiny laser beam attached to a keyboard key but no aim or movement skills, and even giving it is not near what UT can give in term of player skills. A lot of them have arenas were player get extra benefits for defeating other players, some are 1vs1 or 2vs2, others are 5vs5 or 10vs10 (that remembers you something?).

I have tons of ideas that can make this a success, learned from shooters and mmos, I'm sure you have some aswell.

So what you think,pros/cons?

Planetside 2 has that, in a way...

I am not so sure they would want to turn this into an MMOFPS, instances do not really work in those games, you get minigames inside the game but you need to fight outside the minigames as well.

For example, I would dedicate my time to dogfighting in PS2, which turned it into a flying games, or play king of the hill holding the best positioned outpost against a horde, then maybe play capture the base as a classic conquest gameplay, the older version of the game had more complexity and offered a lot more, like racing ANTS to the bases to fill their nanite levels, that way shields and turrets could work, infiltrate/hack the base, etc etc.

The problem with a game like that is that no engine can take the sheer amount of people, it becomes a zergfest, sure it's fun but people want a game where they can DM without having to turn around and witness an entire invasion ala C&C coming.

Comment

Well Lineage 2 uses UnrealEngine 2.5 and I was in sieges 500 vs 500 without problems, and thats an open world game (no loading screens between zones)

Comment

If I wanted to play an MMORPG, I'd be playing an MMORPG.
        also known as Humphro

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
          Let's say you like both, mmorpg and fps. If a game that mixes both styles exist, would you play that game? That's the idea/question.

Comment

Originally posted by Diode View Post
            Now that I think on it, this is not open mind.

BTW, when I said mixed I mean that you can play your favorite gametype in your favorite server. Making a bigger thing around the game types does not mean to kill the UT essence, both things can live toguether, just need to have open mind and see this with more that two eyes.

Comment

I HAD THE SAME IDEA! MMOFPS like Borderlands! Good Job! GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!

IDEAS:

Axon
              Hoverboard
              Manta
              Scorpion
              Hellbender
              Paladin
              SPMA
              Cicada
              Raptor
              MechWarrior Turret
              Titans (from TitanFall)

Weapons
              Translocator
              Impact Hammer
              Shield Gun
              Enforcer
              Bio-Rifle
              Shock Rifle
              Pulse Rifle
              Link Gun
              Ripper
              Ripjack
              Minigun
              Stinger
              Stinger Minigun
              Flak Cannon
              Rocket Launcher
              AVRiL
              Ion Painter
              Sniper Rifle
              Lightning Gun

NEW WEAPONS

Flak Sniper
              Volley Rocket Shotgun
              Kaleidoscope Sniper
              Nebula Weather Weapons
              HARPOON (HAARP)

Necris

Vehicles
              Scavenger
              Darkwalker
              Nemesis
              Viper
              Fury
              Cyborg

Originally posted by velocidad View Post
              New UT, new thought.

Why remake of the past UT series in term of gametypes/short history? I'm thinking in a new concept (well, not that new) about games inside the GAME.

Maybe you will hate the idea or love it but, why don't we make an unreal tournament mmo, or mmofps, or even better mmorpg (nodays this games are very popular, so we will have free advertisement) mixed with fps, that will be a mmorpgfps, something that I think has not been made yet (maybe I'm wrong, I have't played all titles).

I have played some mmorpg to realize that people like complexity, like player skills but usually developers don't give that instead they give some shiny laser beam attached to a keyboard key but no aim or movement skills, and even giving it is not near what UT can give in term of player skills. A lot of them have arenas were player get extra benefits for defeating other players, some are 1vs1 or 2vs2, others are 5vs5 or 10vs10 (that remembers you something?).

I have tons of ideas that can make this a success, learned from shooters and mmos, I'm sure you have some aswell.

So what you think,pros/cons?
              Last edited by MettaCognition; 07-24-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Nice meta-bump....

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X