new gamemode concept: csDOM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new gamemode concept: csDOM

I was thinking of how to make accessible gamemode where there's clear easy-to-understand goal, team gameplay, promotes action, allows different strategies, fun for all skill-levels. I hope. :P The name is just a working title.

In a nutshell, the concept is:
    • a Round-based, single capturable node Domination with Showdown spawn selection for offense team. DOM node is visible through walls.
    • All weapons and powerups spawn in the start of the round, normal respawn timer logic applies(subject to change).
    • If enemy team is eliminated, your team wins the round.
    • If timelimit exceeds and node is in control of defenders, attacking team loses the round.
    • If timelimit exceeds and node is in control of attackers, defending team loses the round.
    • 2 minute timelimit per round, 10 rounds attacking per each team then roles are switched, 11 round wins for a team ends the match. Probably subject to change depending if players feel the game length is too long/too short.

Why?
    Many of the classic gamemodes seem to be rather unaccessible to new players due to them not knowing game mechanics like armor/weapon respawning, powerup timings and map layout. So new players end up often without weapons or do not find powerups. Spawn selection could remedy this.

Veteran players could find fun in team strategies in coordination of powerup gathering plan and maximizing positional advantages/multiple simultaneous attacking angles.

Why Offense/defense?
    Offense/Defense roles create natural dynamics to force engagements, which some gamemodes like TAM/Showdown are lacking. Also as a spectator point of view it would be easier to follow/understand.

Why Spawn location selection? Why only offense? What about defense?
    I'm not sure how it'll play out, the idea is to give offense edge to get some powerups easier than defense and access to weapons they would prefer to use. It's positional advantage vs. weapon variety, armor or other powerup advantage. Defenders can send players to pickup weapons/powerups as well, but it's a risk of getting run over by numbers if the runner fails.

I think defenders should spawn near the DOM node, so there's chance to grab a weapon/a powerup nearby and get to defensive position. Offense could also select a spawn near the objective, but only one of them could spawn there and could get ran over by 4 enforcer enemies in the beginning.

Other:
    It might also require different maps to work. But I'm happy if the concept works in some of the current maps.
    Might end up in total CS. Nobody wants to make a move. Or just spam/sniper on map chokepoints :|
    I'm not sure which weapon setup would be better for this weaponstay on or off. With bigger teamsizes, there won't be enough weapons to make it interesting. I guess both options need to be experimented with.
    Powerups like armors/AMP/boots/belt would create action in the start just like in Showdown, offense would probably need them to be able push to the node, but defense could send a player(s) to steal some of them.
    Suitable starting health is maybe something else than 100hp.
    If all defenders just camp at the node, they are in big disadvantage armor/powerup-wise and weapon-wise.
    ------------
    Examples for current maps would be:
    DM-Sidcastle "Defend the belt tower!",
    DM-Deck "Defend the top!"
    DM-Outpost "Defend Sniper position!"
    DM-Temple "Defend the belt area!"
    etc.
    ----------

I hope it's going to be combination of the good parts of each gamemode listed, instead of the bad parts. If someone is already working on similar/same concept, please let me know!

Also, if there's someone interested to help out how to get started, please reply on the thread or message me here or on IRC, thanks!
    UT ingame alias: nukkuj
    Youtube Twitch Twitter

I kinda like the idea. I don't have a lot of free time to help you out, but feel free to use any or all of my Domination game mode code as a starting point for your game type. If you have any questions about the code, PM me.

The link to the source code on GitHub is in my signature below
    Author: Domination Game Mode (Native UT4 Plug-in)
    Get the Install on ModDB.com
    Source Code available on GitHub

Comment

Originally posted by Snake.Pliskin View Post
      I kinda like the idea. I don't have a lot of free time to help you out, but feel free to use any or all of my Domination game mode code as a starting point for your game type. If you have any questions about the code, PM me.

The link to the source code on GitHub is in my signature below
      Thanks man, I'll check it out if I can make the DOM-node work with your Domination gamemode code. I selected teamshowdown as the template for starting point, since it has the spawning selection startup and round-based ruleset built-in.
      UT ingame alias: nukkuj
      Youtube Twitch Twitter

Comment

Working...
      X