[idea] Round Robin Duel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[idea] Round Robin Duel

[edit - I'm not sure if Round Robin is the correct name for this. The idea is the winner stays in the game.]

At the moment having 10+ players in a map is crazy but often that's how it works out in our Aussie server. It's hard to get better.

Duelling I find is a better way to learn. However it's hard to find a duel match, and setting one up seems outside the comfort zone if you're newish.

Imagine: seven or so players join a game. Two play at once - the loser goes back into the queu and the winer plays the next. Non-players spectate and learn from the better players. No real 'winner' - you just stay in longer.

Yes the best player will probably stay in longer/always - giving others a chance to learn. I think this will be a good way to focus on a good players techniques and see what's working against him/her.

[edit - perhaps a point awarded after three matches in a row and then the winner goes back to the queue.]

[edit - matches would be best of three. Becasue this is short - maybe respawning everyone with default weapons/armour after every frag would be a fair way to go].

You can start round robin with just two two people and others could join. Possibly max of 10, but I don't think people will join round robin with more than five or six anyway.

A better chat experience for the spectators - perhaps a sidebar chat, reducing the game window to 70% size, keeping the aspect ratio. The bottom could include in larger text your place in the queue and player names.

the_hack - Brisbane Australia
    Last edited by alextababa; 12-01-2015, 12:03 AM.

I like this idea, when I chalange friends, it's what we do, and the one of us who is able to defeat all the other in a row is the ultimate winer, even if it never happens (I have a friend almost as good as me, when I'm wining, he defeat me, when he's wining, I defeat him).

Something I'll add over, why not make the player change at each death ? So there isn't a too long wait time betwin matches. What do you think ?

Comment

Definitely want to see the "round robin" (alias "Next-in-line" from the other thread) back in UT4s Duel. UT3's Duel exactly worked like that with the additional mutator "Survival" where you join the queue after a death, just like Shkikri said.

The spectator system with the chat sidebar would be a nice addition.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

@shkikri - I guess if players started off even then one frag would work well and keep a faster pace. i guess it'd be a matter of testing to see if it worked.

@rattlesn4ke - what can I do to get it started. UIs / storyboards? not a coder.

Comment

UI and storyboards, yes.
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Hey Ali,

If you're looking to improve, (imo) I don't think a round robin duel contest would be the way to go.
            You should focus your time on things such as movement, improving your shock combos, powerup timing, just to name a few.

There's a bit more to dueling than what you may think or see in spectator e.g. Map control, timing, using the sounds to predict where your opponent will be/or where they are, defensive play/offensive play etc.

You're better off improving the fundamentals (especially movement) before jumping in the deep end. You can see straight away a top player just by the way they move.

Join the irc channel #utaunz ( http://webchat.globalgamers.net/?channels=utaunz ) - Happy to help you out, and I'm sure the others who idle in there would too

Comment

Hi Redfoxxx

Yes I really need to improve exactly those things you mentioned. Desperately want to be able to hit those combos but there's some kind of skill bottleneck at the moment and I'm trying to work out where that is. In game I think I'm moving all right but the replays can get cringe worthy.

OK, maybe round robin wouldn't be the best way for me to improve, I'll take your word on it as an experienced player - however I can see myself enjoying it a lot nonetheless... a mixture of spec and play. I'll go ahead and whip up the idea and see if anyone wants to take it further.

I've joined the UTaunz irc on my phone. I've been really pleasantly surprised by these experienced players inviting me to duel. Shoutout to armorfist, Disafear D3rk, PaiN, Plutocracy, Bodon... it seems every day now someone's noticing I'm sticking around getting shredded. Give me a lot of hope for the future of our game in Au.

If you see me idling feel free to invite. A number of folks said I'd get better faster in duel and it seems to be working slowly, but faster than DM.
              Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
              www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...ive-potential)

Comment

Not exactly. I'm thinking something much simpler @vlad.serbanescu11
                  Maps: DM-Dying_Sun WIP & DM-TokaraSwamp
                  www.shockandrockets.com

Comment

Sounds similar to the Rocket Arena mod in '99.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                    UT4 nick: StryphZ`
                    UT99 nick: SAFeSTeR

My PlaysTV
                    Frag-ments: UT4 movie starring SAFeSTeR a.k.a. StryphZ`

Frag-ments (Part II): UT4 pre alpha movie starring StryphZ`

Comment

An existing name for this existing mode (in other games that is) would be King-of-the-Hill, which also describes it well, like Next-in-Line does. If you wanted something new (to arena FPS games in general), what if you had one - or maybe 3 - lives within which to frag your opponent. If you can't the next challenger steps up. The match ends when a certain number of attempts have been made by everyone. And the person with the most frags wins. It still means you spend time on the side chatting to people and thus doesn't change that aspect whether you like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                      X