CTF - King of the Mountain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF - King of the Mountain

We were talking in IRC this morning about a possible new game mode for CTF. It was the commit recently for "Round based CTF" that sparked this idea.

CTF games would be changed so that instead of each team trying to steal the other teams flag and return it, there would now be a central neutral flag point. The goal would be for each team to grab this flag and return it to their own flag base. A teams own flag would not be able to be picked up. Maps would be designed in such a manner that the central flag would be a highly visible and exposed area. Teams who rush too quickly to the flag would be cut down by snipers and random fire. Teams would be smaller, 3-4 man teams but games could have up to 4 teams playing at a time. Maps would be designed with zones, so that if a 4 team map only has 2 teams, two of the zones get blocked off and excluded from play with walls/barriers. Each team could have a unique power up in their base and the bases rotate with each round. So one base has a shield belt, another base has an amp and so on. Depending on which base your team spawns will decide how you play the round. If you have the shield belt it might be better to rush the flag at the start. If you have the amp you might want to sit back and take out as many of the other players as possible. Games will have a 5-10 second break between each rounds where teams can decide strategy. Once a match starts and everyone spawns then 30 seconds later the middle flag spawns and is active. That way a single base spawn locations can not overly influence the game. If one base gets a good spawn that allows them to reach the flag 2-3 seconds faster than the other team for example. During the first 30 seconds players are able to kill each other still. Weapons stay would be off. Team bases would be designed so that they are really easy to get out of, but only way to get into them. Since teams will be smaller and it would be anticipated that many people will be dead by the time a flag is being returned, each team will know exactly where the enemy flag carrier will be returning into their base.

Thoughts/Ideas? Anyone wanna make this? I can make a BSP level for this, need someone to help with the game mechanics.
    PayBack

honestly i doesnt see this idea working. you have 2 bases. one team grabs the flag. the closer they get to their base its more and more harder for the other team to denie the cap simply because the spawnpoints are much closer for one team then for the other. even if they kill the fc they are in disadvantage for the very same reason. if you make the mod in a way that teams need to cap the flag in the enemy base, then its just a bombing run mod with a flag instead of a ball. Then I'd rather have a well developed bombing run mod then. The previous 3 UT title had already lot of mods, where 99% of the mods was never played by more then a few dozens of people. So unless you really think your mod will be AAA+ quality i wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
      honestly i doesnt see this idea working. you have 2 bases. one team grabs the flag. the closer they get to their base its more and more harder for the other team to denie the cap simply because the spawnpoints are much closer for one team then for the other. even if they kill the fc they are in disadvantage for the very same reason. if you make the mod in a way that teams need to cap the flag in the enemy base, then its just a bombing run mod with a flag instead of a ball. Then I'd rather have a well developed bombing run mod then. The previous 3 UT title had already lot of mods, where 99% of the mods was never played by more then a few dozens of people. So unless you really think your mod will be AAA+ quality i wouldn't bother.
      Its round based, once you die, you dont respawn until the next round. For example:

Round 1
      -Everyone spawns
      -30 seconds to collect ammo, powerups and get in position or try to pick off another teams players.
      -Central flag spawns
      -If you die, you dont respawn, you are forced to view the remaining players.
      -Once one team caps the flag, that round is over or if all but one player is left alive, that team wins the round.
      -Next round starts, everyone respawns and repeat.

Grabbing the flag will be very risky, once you grab all the other players will know where you are and where you are going. If your team is eliminated trying to defend the flag carrier they lose. When you turn it into a 4 team game, as soon as someone grabs the flag, you could have all 12 players fighting at once, if anyone one team doesnt try to stop the flag carrier, their team losses. Grabbing the flag will be a near death sentence in a full match as it will turn into a 9v3 CTF. The smarter play would be to systematically try and pick off opposing team players and grabbing the flag when the player count has fallen. One flag cap does not win the match, it would be like 10 flag caps to win or something. So if 3 teams are battling and dont get the flag, but the team with the shield belt does while the other teams are distracted, they could get an easy round win. Like wise the team with the AMP isnt going to run into the middle of a battle and grab the flag, they are going to use the amp to try and pick off enemies. Think of it as Last Team Standing meets Multi CTF.
      Last edited by PayBack; 12-29-2015, 04:10 PM.
      PayBack

Comment

This is bombing run but with no passing and perma-death. If you want to experience this for yourself, go onto 2k4 with friends, play bombing run match and NEVER pass to anyone, while everyone suicides after every goal. I wonder how fun that would be :P :P
        In all seriousness something similar to this could be good for the competetive scene, but if not executed correctly it can end up a stale gametype. Maybe not have permadeath within the rounds, but everyone resets at the start of each round after someone scores?
        "Hey babe, are you set to godlike?"
        "No, why."
        "Cause your more attractive than a bot using the Link Gun's secondary"

Comment

I think it has some potential if there were high enough teams, but I think you should just keep respawning.

Each point should be a battle and difficult to do and I think dying and being knocked out would make it very much a snipers game.
          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Would be simpler to make it a central flag and then have it so teams have to hold onto it.
            who ever holds onto it the longest wins, turning it into a defence game if you like as the team with the flag would have to defend the flag carrier in order to hold the flag the longest in order for the team to win
            if the flag is dropped it returns to the central base automatically, i think that would be much simpler.

As it would be one central flag the challenge would also be getting a hold of the flag in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X