Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Truel coop - One high rank player vs Two lower rank players

Originally posted by Podosniper View Post
    Perhaps the game needs a co-op game type to appeal to newer players without the stress of fighting against long time veterans? Maybe Invasion or some other game type. Many difficult competitive games (DOTA2, Heroes of the Storm, others) have a human vs AI mode that is a lot more friendly to newer players. It'll allow them to learn basic mechanics without getting killed within 2 seconds of spawning and getting frustrated.
    Bingo! This inspired me to think of this: Truel coop - One high rank player vs Two lower rank players

A truel is a neologism for a duel among three opponents, in which players can fire at one another in an attempt to eliminate them while surviving themselves.[1]

While this could be achieve already in TDM, this gamemode is specifically setup for matchmaking; matching a high rank player against two lower rank players.

It would help increase the lower rank players skill by observing how a higher rank player plays first hand.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

TBH this would be even easier for the high ranked player to stack up kills... sounds balanced on paper, but is anything but.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      TBH this would be even easier for the high ranked player to stack up kills... sounds balanced on paper, but is anything but.
      Yeah true.

I guess, the skill gap between ranks would have to be tuned.

Comment

What I would like to see is a handicap system, where health, armor, and ammo are potentially docked from the higher ranked player, or some form of extra powerup is granted to the lower rank player. There could also be ways to balance a "truel" this way and it could be fun.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
          What I would like to see is a handicap system, where health, armor, and ammo are potentially docked from the higher ranked player, or some form of extra powerup is granted to the lower rank player. There could also be ways to balance a "truel" this way and it could be fun.

Yes a handicap system would be great. It would make noncompetitive duels more fun too.

Comment

Fighting games have a "handicap" where one player can choose to begin with a lower or higher max health from the start. I could see that working in this game as a mutator or something.

Ive seen suggestions in other threads where the game would automatically impose all sorts of nerfs on a player of a higher rank. But come on, ELO isnt perfect, and locking players out of certain guns or gimping them in other ways just screams LAME to me. I can see it working for certain players who agree on it though as a mutator for one guy to start at <100 health, and maybe even have their armor tick down slowly if its above a certain value.
            ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
            Frag video featuring Rookie
            Frag video featuring Phantaci
            Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatErik View Post
              Fighting games have a "handicap" where one player can choose to begin with a lower or higher max health from the start. I could see that working in this game as a mutator or something.

Ive seen suggestions in other threads where the game would automatically impose all sorts of nerfs on a player of a higher rank. But come on, ELO isnt perfect, and locking players out of certain guns or gimping them in other ways just screams LAME to me. I can see it working for certain players who agree on it though as a mutator for one guy to start at <100 health, and maybe even have their armor tick down slowly if its above a certain value.
              I agree with the "agreed" part as part of mutator.

Random matchmaking will never give a good match in these situations as the metric can be gamed to suit.

Comment

Why not a lastman standing bossfight mod, one team is 12 low ranked player with all stat normal vs a high elo player with an instagun and verry low hp ?

Comment

Originally posted by Shkikri View Post
                  Why not a lastman standing bossfight mod, one team is 12 low ranked player with all stat normal vs a high elo player with an instagun and verry low hp ?
                  Would the 12 players Respawn or would it be round based?

Comment

Working...
                  X