Campaign Mode - To help draw in new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Campaign Mode - To help draw in new players

idea by VfourA from this thread What would make people play arena FPS games again. Thoughts from non arenafps players

I've copied across the quotes from that thread into here for brevity, this top post will get further refined with a more concise statement and references stored in future posts.

Here is the original quote to start with:
    Originally posted by VfourA View Post
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    So this is just progression with bots? Just like every UT game before hand?

Not saying its a bad thing, its just more of the same.

Unless I'm missing something?

Basically yes, but personally i want to wrap it into a more appealing form this time around.

UT99, 2k3 and 2k4 were barebones at best in their singleplayer campaigns. There was no real guidance, reason or rhyme to them, the one thing they got right though was the concept of 'unreal tournament' itself - It's a brutal sport in the far future.

I think you can make it feel extremely fresh by exploiting this to the max.

You create or choose a character. You're placed as a newbie in the league and are expected to work your way up, from the lower leagues all the way to the championship.

Along the way you, at first, join an existing team, probably based on your character. As you go up, teams get less focused on where they're from and more about pure skill, eventually leaving your old team (cue cutscene here showing some internal conflict) and creating your own, using your rising star as an attraction for others to join to eventually take the ultimate championship.

The first few events would be about explanation. After creation, you are pitted against one bot, an initiation match for the team you want to join. This can also be used to determine the skill level of the player, roughly, for the campaign.

After this, your team goes through lower league matches. TDM, CTF, maybe assault/onslaught punctuated with a few 'battle royale' DM matches where the player can shine individually.

Eventually, the player gets more recognition and starts getting offers to join another team, though in true sports-movie style they only want to recruit you to keep you on the bench and out of the competition (cue the evil germans from Cool Runnings). Your old team is growing distant because of your increasing skill, they feel left behind and kind of want you gone as well.

So, through some harsh times, the player forms their own team. Here the team management part starts, as well as a possible multiplayer tie-in. Pick other bots to join your team and start going through the leagues again, but this time, you get promoted. You start getting official 1on1 challenges from other bot team leaders or lone wolves, which may result in new rivalries or teammates, or another relationship with the character you fought.

Important here is one thing: You don't need to win EVERYTHING to progress, like in older games. Everything goes via leagues, which you need to win overall to progress, but you can lose individual matches, including the 1on1's. There should be more than one 'league', or season, to go through. You can even think of letting a player lose a league, but simply continuing in the next season for another chance at a promotion.

Secondly, this middle part of the campaign (forming your own team) also serves as a jump-in point for multiplayer, this game's co-op mode to be precise. You can invite friends to play through those matches with you on the same team! This forms, in my opinion, the perfect initiation for UT multiplayer.

The last part of the campaign happens when your team qualifies for the final championship. No leagues, but a bracket championship. In world it might be something that happens once every 10 years, where only the very best teams and players are elegible to join. Here the player DOES need to win every match to progress. I'm still thinking about whether this should be a stage of the game where reloading saves is a valid way to progress, or where if the team drops out, they can simply go through the leagues again for another chance next time.

This last bit has all the rivalries, friendships and other events from earlier parts come up again. Characters the player knows return, rivalries are turned up to 11 with a lot of smacktalk or even 'unsanctioned' matches for bets in between the main event, etc. - The final match is actually a series of matches in all the main gameforms, culminating in a final one on one with your main rival to determine the winner (maybe on Hyperblast?). Maybe not Xan though.

Of course, this last tournament stage is also co-op-able. You could even think about replacing some opponent teams with actual players who are also going through the campaign!

IMHO, the above needs to be refined obviously, but it would serve as the perfect singleplayer campaign to UT, and a perfect intro to the classic UT multiplayer modes. With regards to previous games, honestly, they didn't have a singleplayer mode worth talking about, so i don't count this as a rehash 'of the same' because of the added depth and story, but rather than going the insane UT3 route of 'wtf is this', UT4 should have a campaign that properly ties into how the game works while still being fun for newbies to sink their teeth into.

And, as far as i know, a game like the above has never existed, at least not within a shooter framework. I'm not talking about a random string of levels the player has to absolve with bots, i'm talking about a campaign to get the newbies invested in the franchise, and to have them understand how the game works and what it's about while at the same time giving them an honestly good singleplayer and co-op experience.
    Last edited by richardboegli; 02-25-2016, 09:26 PM. Reason: context
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Quotes from previous thread .

So this is just progression with bots? Just like every UT game before hand?

Not saying its a bad thing, its just more of the same.

Unless I'm missing something?
    Basically yes, but personally i want to wrap it into a more appealing form this time around.

UT99, 2k3 and 2k4 were barebones at best in their singleplayer campaigns. There was no real guidance, reason or rhyme to them, the one thing they got right though was the concept of 'unreal tournament' itself - It's a brutal sport in the far future.

I think you can make it feel extremely fresh by exploiting this to the max.

You create or choose a character. You're placed as a newbie in the league and are expected to work your way up, from the lower leagues all the way to the championship.

Along the way you, at first, join an existing team, probably based on your character. As you go up, teams get less focused on where they're from and more about pure skill, eventually leaving your old team (cue cutscene here showing some internal conflict) and creating your own, using your rising star as an attraction for others to join to eventually take the ultimate championship.

The first few events would be about explanation. After creation, you are pitted against one bot, an initiation match for the team you want to join. This can also be used to determine the skill level of the player, roughly, for the campaign.

After this, your team goes through lower league matches. TDM, CTF, maybe assault/onslaught punctuated with a few 'battle royale' DM matches where the player can shine individually.

Eventually, the player gets more recognition and starts getting offers to join another team, though in true sports-movie style they only want to recruit you to keep you on the bench and out of the competition (cue the evil germans from Cool Runnings). Your old team is growing distant because of your increasing skill, they feel left behind and kind of want you gone as well.

So, through some harsh times, the player forms their own team. Here the team management part starts, as well as a possible multiplayer tie-in. Pick other bots to join your team and start going through the leagues again, but this time, you get promoted. You start getting official 1on1 challenges from other bot team leaders or lone wolves, which may result in new rivalries or teammates, or another relationship with the character you fought.

Important here is one thing: You don't need to win EVERYTHING to progress, like in older games. Everything goes via leagues, which you need to win overall to progress, but you can lose individual matches, including the 1on1's. There should be more than one 'league', or season, to go through. You can even think of letting a player lose a league, but simply continuing in the next season for another chance at a promotion.

Secondly, this middle part of the campaign (forming your own team) also serves as a jump-in point for multiplayer, this game's co-op mode to be precise. You can invite friends to play through those matches with you on the same team! This forms, in my opinion, the perfect initiation for UT multiplayer.

The last part of the campaign happens when your team qualifies for the final championship. No leagues, but a bracket championship. In world it might be something that happens once every 10 years, where only the very best teams and players are elegible to join. Here the player DOES need to win every match to progress. I'm still thinking about whether this should be a stage of the game where reloading saves is a valid way to progress, or where if the team drops out, they can simply go through the leagues again for another chance next time.

This last bit has all the rivalries, friendships and other events from earlier parts come up again. Characters the player knows return, rivalries are turned up to 11 with a lot of smacktalk or even 'unsanctioned' matches for bets in between the main event, etc. - The final match is actually a series of matches in all the main gameforms, culminating in a final one on one with your main rival to determine the winner (maybe on Hyperblast?). Maybe not Xan though.

Of course, this last tournament stage is also co-op-able. You could even think about replacing some opponent teams with actual players who are also going through the campaign!

IMHO, the above needs to be refined obviously, but it would serve as the perfect singleplayer campaign to UT, and a perfect intro to the classic UT multiplayer modes. With regards to previous games, honestly, they didn't have a singleplayer mode worth talking about, so i don't count this as a rehash 'of the same' because of the added depth and story, but rather than going the insane UT3 route of 'wtf is this', UT4 should have a campaign that properly ties into how the game works while still being fun for newbies to sink their teeth into.

And, as far as i know, a game like the above has never existed, at least not within a shooter framework. I'm not talking about a random string of levels the player has to absolve with bots, i'm talking about a campaign to get the newbies invested in the franchise, and to have them understand how the game works and what it's about while at the same time giving them an honestly good singleplayer and co-op experience.
    One word: AWESOME.

Well done! I really like the idea.

Given the marketplace nature of UT, this could be done and doesn't actually have to be done by Epic.

I like the idea of the true sports-movie style and rivalries turned up to 11 So there is a bit of persistence through you playing through. In the sense that, if you've beaten a certain bot previously, they will be at a harder level next time round. For laughs have a montage of them training hard to beat you...cue *Eye of the Tiger*

Not having linear gameplay with side elements does help in terms of entertainment.

I'm going to read it again and think about what you've put forward and provide some more feedback in a day or two.
    Originally posted by Smurgl View Post
    I agree. This is the kind of thing that I always thought it should be. Your tutorial is you in another team and then you get to create your own. A league allows the single player to last longer and a "Champions League" kind of cup at the end to actually complete the single player.

A bit like Speedball 2.

I'd be very pleased if this was implemented.
    I'm seriously thinking of making this into an actual project. I've been hoping for a mode like this since i played the ut2k3 alpha, but sadly Epic never made it themselves...

If the newbies can get invested in a good campaign to draw them in without competitive mp pressure you can get a lot more people into it than if you just throw them into an mp only experience. IMHO, while UT99's singleplayer was lacking, it did actually provide that stepping stone, just like the 2k3 and 2k4 versions. UT3 failed in this because the campaign was so disconnected from the rest of the game.

Maybe we should brainstorm about this somewhere to create a more defined proposal and get official approval/backing for this
    This post below was a response to VfourA post above, I emailed it to him to get his feedback as he doesn't currently follow UT4 development dirextly and I'm trying to see how to bring onboard more console centric players.

A bit of background, my friend (PSN Mkatronix) is a long time gamer in FPS and other genres who was originally a PC Gamer, but has played primarily on consoles for the last two generations (PS3, PS Vita and PS4) with a few PC titles in-between.

We played A LOT of Destiny back in 2014, when I had a break from UT4.
    Disclaimer: When he wrote this he was a bit sleep deprived as he has a cold and is a new father, but I think he has nailed the thread topic.

So without further ado:

Building on what the response suggested, for super advanced players, you could include an epic hardcore mode where once your character loses a match, they're wiped & you start from scratch. As if they have died in contest.

As for attracting non arena fps gamers, what about taking the rpg angle? Allowing character growth or weapon & ability aquisition. Earn credits to upgrade equipment. Customise your character, etc. Perhaps a challenge system of some sort. You can beat the level like normal or you can only use a pistol to beat a challenge for bonus points. (Pretty much what the response was saying).

I believe, people love games where they can keep coming back to play things that seem different. Scratch the surface and it's the same thing over & over again, but it feels different so they don't notice (see Destiny, WoW and CoD). The problem with areana fps (for non areana fps players) is that the 'story' mode doesn't so enough to hide the fact you're playing the same arenas again & again but against different bots. I hate to use this example again, but Destiny is basically an arena fps. The arenas are a bit bigger, but the story missions lock the player into only a small portion of them, again and again and again. Players don't notice because the situation masks reality.

Whatever direction the genre chooses to follow, the most important thing, above all else, is that it must stay true to it's origins. Too much change in the wrong way will alienate the loyal fan base. It may not even bring in the new players to sustain it. It would fade and dissappear into nothingness. The current generation of new gamers probably don't realise that we all owe a lot to the original arena fps games. Without them we wouldn't have CoD or Destiny or Fallout or Borderlands or Halo or *insert infinite examples here*. Whatever game is your poison now, chances are the guys who created it grew up playing an arena fps.

Comment

I'm obviously onboard with this :>

Edit: I will be drawing up a more detailed concept of what i had in mind this weekend, to give the campaign a bit of structure and hopefully convince a few more people of its usefulness and potential.
      Last edited by VfourA; 02-26-2016, 04:53 AM.

Comment

I'm obviously onboard with this :>

Edit: I will be drawing up a more detailed concept of what i had in mind this weekend, to give the campaign a bit of structure and hopefully convince a few more people of its usefulness and potential.
        Great to see

Comment

Working...
        X