The maximum number of players for each gametype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The maximum number of players for each gametype

Maybe maximum player limit is different for each gametype.

Duel 1x1
    DM max 4
    TDM max 4x4
    CTF max 6x6
    VCTF max 12x12
    Warfare max 16x16

And the all maps are designed for player limit by default.
    Last edited by Andriushka; 03-02-2016, 12:48 PM.

Originally posted by Andriushka View Post
    Maybe maximum player limit is different for each gametype.

Duel 1x1
    DM max 4
    TDM max 4x4
    CTF max 6x6
    VCTF max 12x12
    Warfare max 16x16

And the all maps are designed for player limit.
    This was briefly discussed in this thread: Overcrowded DM

Another idea which was mentioned in that thread was a modular map design [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION] beat me to it!), where the map would be a certain size, but would have sections that open / close off depending on player count.

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Its certainly a better solution but one thing I personally always wanted to see was maps that could open up when more players joined, say a Duel map that opened a few doors for 4 people, then a whole new larger part of the map opens for 6-8 and so on so you still get that XL feel of a map like Stalwart but with all the benefits of the smaller version when the player counts are that low.
    You've nailed it. I've been thinking the same thing for a while and been toying with the idea of parametric maps. They change size depending on player count.

The doors method sounds like the easiest solution to this problem.

I'd been thinking of it slightly differently, as I had been going for a unique design per player count and then the spawn points would be set by player count.

Hadn't made a post yet as I didn't have anything to show yet.
    [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION] - can you verify if you got a quote mention even though I've quoted you in a quote?

Thanks.
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

Comment

Originally posted by Andriushka View Post
      DM max 4
      TDM max 4x4
      Are we turning UT4 into Doom3 ???
      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Yeah this has been discussed about half a dozen times across different threads, and close to 100% of the people think 10 person FFA and 7v7 CTF are hugely detrimental to the player experience.

I mean, just trying it out for a build is understandable, but KEEPING it in for the next build? And I don't see a note on it for the upcoming build either! It's one of the most baffling design choices I've personally ever seen. Spending all of thirty minutes in a public server will show you how silly it can get when a couple geniuses pick nicktest1, lea, and asdf when theres 10 people in game.
        ChimmiChunga leads from the front, and DieHard UT holds the crown!!
        Frag video featuring Rookie
        Frag video featuring Phantaci
        Come find people to play with in IRC! All skill levels welcome!!

Comment

DM - 6
          TDM - 4v4
          CTF - 6v6 (5v5 for organized games)
          VCTF - 10v10 (6v6 or 7v7 for organized games)
          Warfare / Onslaught - 12v12 (7v7 or 8v8 for organized games)
          Unreal Tournament CTFer.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972651604/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKP...VxhOU682oNmUEQ

Comment

My opinion is ...let the server owner decide it and not restrict the game.
            In UT99 exists server mods which decide on player-count what map can be voted.

And btw. if you can't fight 10 (or more) guys/gals in a DM match ...why should you even consider to play UT?
            Fast+Brutal+Crowded = UT
            ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
              My opinion is ...let the server owner decide it and not restrict the game.
              In UT99 exists server mods which decide on player-count what map can be voted.

And btw. if you can't fight 10 (or more) guys/gals in a DM match ...why should you even consider to play UT?
              Fast+Brutal+Crowded = UT
              Agreed, but it does get quite manic....

Comment

The default needs to be reasonable, people aren't as willing to join a "custom deathmatch" as it's displayed in the hubs, it could be literally anything in there. I'd much rather keep the obnoxious player counts to the custom games and have something nicer as the default.
                :|

Comment

Agreed, but it does get quite manic....

Hey 11th from 16 player with a 82 ping ...not bad.

Yes 16 player can be a little much...
                  But I say, this adds to the fun of UT. And a crowded server is a good sign and not the contrary.
                  The map should have at least as much room that it fit the player count. If this isn't the case, than it's the server admin's fault.
                  But again, let the server owner decide how he want this to be handled and don't set a limit inside the game.

Comment

Hey 11th from 16 player with a 82 ping ...not bad.
                    Yeah... I wasn't on from the beginning and my speciality is being cannon fodder hence the high death count still...
                    Reminds me that UT4 is missing a time in match column... like in Q3Arena.

Yes 16 player can be a little much...
                    But I say, this adds to the fun of UT. And a crowded server is a good sign and not the contrary.
                    Yeah, I'd rather a crowded server than a dead server any day.

The map should have at least as much room that it fit the player count. If this isn't the case, than it's the server admin's fault.
                    But again, let the server owner decide how he want this to be handled and don't set a limit inside the game.
                    This is where I think we could evolve ArenaFPS for the future with having modular / parametric arenas that grow or shrink depending on player count.
                    That way map designers design for maximum player count and just close off excessive space with doors dynamically depending on player count.
                    As a simple hack for maps which are already designed with a player count could be to mirror / array the current map around a central feature.
                    This would also allow for NW and iCTF maps to coexist in that the size could also be determined by having a toggle for instagib or NW.

Comment

This is where I think we could evolve ArenaFPS for the future with having modular / parametric arenas that grow or shrink depending on player count.
                      That way map designers design for maximum player count and just close off excessive space with doors dynamically depending on player count.
                      To expand on this too, its only optional, level designers can just do things the old way with the player counts set in the worldinfo. I personally like the idea of having more versatile maps especially since it does actually take that long to make em, if we can make a few that can adapt from smaller/medium player counts right through to extra large then we should consider it as well as having 1 or 2 large enough ones to support 12 players more comfortably.

There is a huge back catalog to draw from with this UT and we can make new maps, adapt old ones etc so we have alot of options that didnt exist back when UT was made. We could pull 2 maps and smash em together, thats not even mentioning community map packs and the awesome MSUC/competition entries over the years, there is a wealth of content waiting there not every map needs to be freshly made with a complete new mesh set.

Id really like to help get this idea going, I just simply dont have time to work on maps solo, especially ontop of what I already got on but I can easily pass on some code for the ExampleMap doors that can make this possible
                      Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        Id really like to help get this idea going, I just simply dont have time to work on maps solo, especially ontop of what I already got on but I can easily pass on some code for the ExampleMap doors that can make this possible
                        I'm overcommited at the moment, but this is something I am really interested in too. If you have some code [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION] I'd love to get a copy and I'll try to have a go at making up something in the next week or so; time permitting.....I've made a thread to hold this conversation going forward: Concept - Modular / Parametric Maps

Comment

Think that the maximum amount of players should be in the core at the beginning of development, becouse 32 for all gametypes looks not good and almost always unplayable. Translation will not show good the game with 32, it looks strange, if it is not big warfare map. Leveldesigners must make maps for for an unknown number of people. Think, manual maximum player settings to select is wrong and different maximum number of players on each map is also wrong. Think that each gametype must be different from another even number of players, becouse map design will more feature in general.

TDM 4 becouse, its TDM, more players is not interesting (strangely), especially 32. In translation can have a good understanding of each player game.
                          TDM 4x4, becouse it is squad vs squad and not large-scale battles with big bases. There is nothing to defend and to attack, except gain points and positions. If >4 it looks more like DM from previous UT games and leak things like 5 vs 2, 7 vs 3 etc. how to control or watch team play with 8 players in one team. In translation can have a good understanding of each team game also.
                          CTF 6x6, becouse for me it is most interesting and actively, but i play most of all warfare only. 8x8 is too loaded. And flag is only one for team. And some ctf maps design is strange, becouse designed for a large number of players also.
                          VCTF 12x12, becouse with vehicle it is large scale battles, and flag is only one for team also. Perhaps need some changes for flag rules. Translation is interesting too, becouse not full load, but also not a small scale battles. Think that vehicles do much in this gametype, if <12 players the vehicle will too strong, if >12 players the vehicle will too weak.
                          Warfare 16x16, becouse it is war gametype, not need flag, only destruction and construction points. A huge number of players should be, as opposed to TMD, and 32 players on warfare maps looks good on amy maps even on a Sinchole map for example. And 32 warfare map translation is always possible and interesting, can understand what is going on, the player score is not important. The most potential for big weapons and vehicles here. It is much different and interesting game.

About maps like bombing run, dont play this gametype, only watch, but think 8x8 or 10x10 is good, but not as mutator, not for another gametype maps and with another gametype name and with some another rules. About the capture of A and B points, not play also and dont undertand this gametype.
                          Last edited by Andriushka; 02-28-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

@ richardboegli and MonsOlympus
                            I have only one concern about a dynamically size changing map.
                            What if, one player leaves the map and it has to close the doors ...but the player still breaching in and fight in this area what supposed to be sealed off. If there is still one player alive in this area can't you close the doors or would you kill those remaining players in this section? ...then this can be exploited.

@ Andriushka
                            No ...I don't think the game should restrict anything ...it's the decision of the server admin if he likes his server to be a crowded frag-feast or sophisticated teatime party. This worked in the past and will work now and in the future.
                            From where do you get the idea, that lower player count is better ...do you play many console FPS games?

Comment

Its not about restricting you should not be restricted to these values in player count for custom games they should be different.

Its about the default settings for the default gametype instances you create in HUBs without making a custom server.

In my opinion it needs to be:

DM - 6 players
                              TDM - 4v4 players
                              CTF - 5v5 players

This also helps with the esport feel to the game which most are 5v5. Epic should adjust this quick since its easy. Most games turn into a spamfest and its not about movement at all just spamming weapons.
                              Last edited by ness 710; 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X