X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [PROTOTYPE] Chaingang [Blueprint]

Chaingang [Blueprint]

Chain Gang (DM Variant)
    • One player chosen at random to be “it”.
    • This player kills others to bring them to the “it” team.
    • The “it” team works to capture all other players.
    • If the “it” team die they are out.
    • It players can only tag if they are in radius of original It person. (optional)
    • It players can't pick up health and/or take friendly damage. (experimental)

Okay so here it is the first release, Im opting for more of a soft entry here because this mode is still in prototype Im not working off any preexisting formula so I admit there will be issues not just with bugs but with the flow of the mode.

If you have any issues feel free to post them in this thread, I will be keeping this mode updated as I work on my mutator pack. Im mainly wanting to get an idea if people find this fun and interesting, one plus I find is everyone is typically alive all the time so its a nice community feeling mode rather than strict competitive.

Code:
    Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\MyContent\
    Place the file in this directory and you should be good to go
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-13-2016, 07:08 AM.

• replied
    Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Firstly thank you for the support and your help on lore too, when I do credits I'll certainly give you a nod because its discussion like this that keeps me proactive, knowing there are people out there who will appreciate this gamemode for the vision at some point. Its difficult to work and never really see that end goal so I really do mean that when I say it
    Wait before thanking me, cause I can make you go in a wrong direction in the end. Who knows ?
    You don't need to give me any nods, I'm not here for any recognition, just have some fun in the community, the development and in game.
    And I'm a **** lore addict... and not only in Unreal.

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    This is entirely possible, I think if you fall off the map (less than the min z) you'll still get gibbed but I will have to check that, right now I only prevent death for each of the different team kills never for environment so thats certainly one thing to consider especially with the "it" player as well. Hopefully there are rules which allow for a reasonably smooth transition, unfortunately with games there will always be that artificial layer you cant escape so its best to embrace it and try to smooth the flow of issues that might arise.
    Alright, will see how it stands out. Keep up the great work mate !
    Also don't hesitate to tell if a new update is up on the forums, I always forgot to check the link. (Silly me !)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    The feign death is interesting, but what happens if you fall into death trap ? Will you just resurrect somewhere else or just remember not to be close to a pit for the next time ? And what do you think would be a good set time ? (2-3 seconds should be enough no ?)
    Firstly thank you for the support and your help on lore too, when I do credits I'll certainly give you a nod because its discussion like this that keeps me proactive, knowing there are people out there who will appreciate this gamemode for the vision at some point. Its difficult to work and never really see that end goal so I really do mean that when I say it

This is entirely possible, I think if you fall off the map (less than the min z) you'll still get gibbed but I will have to check that, right now I only prevent death for each of the different team kills never for environment so thats certainly one thing to consider especially with the "it" player as well. Hopefully there are rules which allow for a reasonably smooth transition, unfortunately with games there will always be that artificial layer you cant escape so its best to embrace it and try to smooth the flow of issues that might arise.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah I know you're alone on that work, but I'm patient so I'll just wait that you work on it at the pace you want. And honestly I prefer a product that takes time but is well shaped than something rushed, delivered too early and badly made. On the other hand, as I frequently "test" things, I have no issue trying things that are still early in development. I'm fully aware that there will be issues, bugs, and tons of features still missing or WIP, yet I'm eager to try it and give as much feedback as I can to help improve it.

Vampires sustain their "unlife" (dunno if it's really regeneration, depends which vampires) by absorbing the "essence" (via blood) of their victims. The Necris inject themselves regularly with Nanoblack for this effect, but nanoblack isn't a product that you find in living being (or even dead) being. It is even supposed that they need ongoing injection to keep the effects working and the subject... alive.
    I don't think they possess a global consciousness like Borgs or Tyranids or Zergs. However the injection of Nanoblack seems to put an enormous amount of stress in the brain, causing some of them to go nuts. In UT3's case, it seems the followers of the Cult of the prophets (and more specifically Akasha) heard voices that might be a consequence of this stress, or maybe the Nanoblack consciousness, if it possess one. Yet this case was never seen or mentioned before, and in UT3 the Phayders never aknowledged or denied the Cult's actions. So this subject is open to all sort of speculations.

**** I seriously need a lore topic to discuss all the Unreal Universe aspects !

The feign death is interesting, but what happens if you fall into death trap ? Will you just resurrect somewhere else or just remember not to be close to a pit for the next time ? And what do you think would be a good set time ? (2-3 seconds should be enough no ?)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah Im not in any rush to get the art done but if you saw what I had on paper compared to this concept image well, the render is so much better and understandable so atleast I have some general direction where I intend to head when I get abit further. I wish I didnt have to stop on gameplay to do a particle or whatnot but since Im solo thats how it has to be. Like I said though I do have a better version of the gamemode but it has acouple of issues so I will release that as soon as its in abit better shape.

Regeneration is actually more the theme but Vampires regenerate from taking the life from something else living, I guess that could be partially undead but its not a requirement for eg with skeleton warriors. Im with you though that I dont think they should be undead, that there could be instances like the borg where people (or Skaarj) get captured and turned. What Im not sure on is whether Necris are some kind of consciousness like the borg, there were hints of that in UT3 or atleast some form of Necris faith and history, perhaps some overseers who pass down their knowledge, the closest thing I could come up with is like genetic memory but with biomechanoid delivery, it doesnt have to be pure nanites it could be some form of stem cell type of research too bit more Existenz.

Right now with the prototype when players get caught they feign death for a set time, when they are reactivated they are on the "it" team. I wanted to have a bonus too if the "it" player temporarily defends that catch, this kind of guides the "it" player to be alittle more defensive and turtles them slightly, it doesnt stop aggressive play entirely its just not as rewarding since you catches will take longer to rejoin. These times between the team changes help with the messaging, I still need to do some HUD work since I had to bypass Epics ChangeTeam which forces some other things like having to suicide.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    By "coming from hell" I mean that orange glow and the fact that it comes from under the Necris makes it look like a kind of hellish spawn or something.
    And I'll stick with tentacles ! Way funnier !

From all the lore I can recall or find, the Necris aren't strictly called undeads. Firstly because the original purpose of the Nanoblack and Necrification process wasn't to bring back people from the dead, but to make them immortal and give an incredibly efficient regeneration. They can no longer die from age. Secondly, it's also applied to living people, and well... to be an undead you need to die first no ?
    I might be a little influenced by the "lack" of lore (However I try to use elements from ALL games, not just one), by mystery I mean that the Phayder Corp is a rather secretive organisation, scheming some complex plans and using a technology that no other faction can understand or even know where it comes from. We, as players, eventually need to know what's behind that curtain, but in the universe itself, I think the Phayder should still keep their secretive and isolationist behavior.
    To resume I liked that they were a faction of secret assassins using a unknow technology, and potentially "converting" any races or species. I don't like the whole "Undead in space that just infects other"... But since multiple people want to follow that way... I'll just let it be.

Now for the gamemode in itself, you can effectively do it without all the lore, fluff, etc, but it will indeed give it less fun. But since we're still in (not even) Alpha stage, I don't think a lot of people care so closely about it right now. You can always change it later anyway ?
    And aside from all the Necris stuff, I'm mainly looking about the mechanics and visibility rather than the "Hooo it's pretty !" (also know as art design ) factor for your mode. So you can even use boxes or nyan cats as players I wouldn't mind !

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I did actually use meshes from UT3, obviously I cant replicate the shaders 1:1 because its now PBR and a different DX level. They arnt coming from hell they are coming from the necris feet, the purpose of the effect is to make the "it" player visibly it without a team skin because I felt it would be more appropriate to use DM skins for this mode even though it technically is a team mode.

Onto your personal concern, vampires are also mysterious until they are revealled as vampires, Im not saying thats how the Necris should be entirely, not saying they need to become the wraith from Stargate or anything. This is alot more parasitic as you would expect from nanites, more akin to Transcendence or the Borg but more rapid necrification. The easy way to explain it could be that the Necris have been underground since the Stryder war and they are more insect to bring them more inline with their vehicle set. I think you technically have to die to be undead, Im not sure if the Necris ever died so Im not sure if I agree with your thin translation there.

To me the gamemode works without the fluff but its just a mode, just a red trying to kill blue, no mystery to it just kinda plain and boring. To make this gamemode stand out against the waves of plain modes we already have I wanted to explore this idea, obviously Ive only spent a few hours on it so its no where near final but if you ask me it does the job of making the "it" person stand out. The regeneration pools, pipes and nanoclouds will all contribute to the overall feel of the mode as well as putting visuals to hard to explain gameplay mechanics I will be implementing going forward.

I have an improved version of the mode (without the effects) on its way but I do really feel as though the tendrils (not tentacles) are the way forward as transporting important genetic information via wifi (nanites) would be bad where via encrypted cables (tendrils) its more secure, not only that the tendrils can be used to hack surrounding electronics etc. I just think its a win/win if the Necris were more infectious rather than how they are now.

If you ask me the old UT Necris with their mystery was just a cop out to not having a decent background for each faction/race, why would you field multiple teams if your assassins are so rare and mysterious? The only cliche here is in the original UT lore, it desperately needs expansion for this UT to succeed IMO.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Spaghetti monster !
    Or Hentaï ?

Anyway if you want to go in this direction, I suggest you to keep it rather Nanoblack oriented. So mostly nanoswarm or black goo looking. If you absolutely want to keep pipes or tentacles then maybe you should draw inspiration with those used in UT3 (when the Necris invaded). Also why is it coming from hell ?

On a personal note, I don't like the whole idea of "vampire" Necris. I find the "space vampire" rather unoriginal, I liked when there was more mystery around the Necris and that they were "converted" people, not necessarly dead, and so were away from the typical undead stereotype. I even think they shouldn't fall in the Undead category.
    But this is just my opinion on the matter and there's probably players that have a totally different view... so nevermind I suppose ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MarkTheF4rth View Post
    however, they would slowly lose health unless they killed players, which would have a vampiric effect
    Okay so I wanted to touch on this because this vampirism with the Necris is what I want to explore, I liked UC2 and the emo style was perhaps alittle too much because of UTs more military theming but with this UT I thought maybe things could go further.

I have some gameplay ideas attached to this, I didnt intend to make a gamemode revolving around Vampirism or Infection but this lead me to something more UT3, more parasitic.

I feel as though this is the right direction, I really like the idea of injection so I was thinking to do pipes from the "It" player to the regenerating "caught" player and health is distributed via nanite swarms

Keep in mind its just a concept, Id have to spend more time on the effects to get it really nice, I have a few more ideas there still
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-23-2016, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well as I said there is the 1 victory condition atm and that is being "it" and winning the game, people want to be "it" currently because its the only way to win this is why stealing "it" is an important mechanic. It wouldnt be as important if you couldnt take "it" away or could simply team swap to either team to win so any extra victory condition should still work with the first. I like the idea of a bonus for staying alive, I think that could make a good XP reward for the time rather than basing it on frags like DM, Im still working on an update which should be coming soon just ironing out some bugs with all the new respawning stuff

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The issue is if it is only one sided, why should I even bother playing ?
    It's way more quick to just die and join the "it", as you will anyway. So you should give a victory condition for the uninfected. Or at least gives a reward or something for staying alive as long as possible.

To avoid the "it" spawnkill right away you could try with a simple invu for a few seconds (1-2 nothing drastic), so even the unskilled player eventually have a chance to do something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah this is true I was abit worried it might be abused too, I might just have to make it so the "it" person always respawns if they suicide which does give them an advantage over the entire field. So theres that in regards to this particular player being different from the rest, I was just concerned someone might still try to abuse those respawns if you try to take "it" from them.

The goal of the game is to be the "it" person and capture everyone at this point, thats pretty much the only victory condition. If the others (not caught or it) kill the one "it" person the game could end but it would end prematurely so I made it that the "it" gets transferred which works currently one player dies the other swaps instant (infected).

There is actually nothing stopping people betraying the people on their team entirely honestly, part of the gamemode is that those alliances are only temporary. Maybe there should be a condition that lets Blue (others) counter the Red (infected) and be victorious.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not really. Necris doesn't "infect" or "mutate" people like plague do. They only appears after the necrification process.
    You can always find some shenanigans to explain this, but I'm pretty sure anybody that follows the lore a little will not really agreed with this direction.

And I use these terms only gameplay wise, not lore wise. Call it Humans vs zombies, Non-infected vs infected, Cat girl vs space octopus, whatever... It's just to design "one thing vs a different thing" right now. I'll give them a more appropriate name whenit's needed.

I don't know about passing the "it" when suiciding. I'm afraid it would lead to a situation where someone just suicide constantly so he can pass it. I can already think of two way to abuse it :
    -You can infect all the enemy team without even the need to aim (or think). Just suicide, respawn, let yourself get infected, suicide, etc...
    -You switch to the human team and win just before the countdown hit 0

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION], I think the Necris work for this though much more than adding generic infected, Im already having to work on some necris effects so I could just do this along side. I dont think it alters the dynamic that much to make it fit. I dont disagree about UT trying to find its direction but perhaps this could help, you never know

I have noticed an issue in my tests and thats if the "it" person suicides, Im going to have to strip them of "it" I think and pass it on to the nearest player, perhaps if there are caught players this could be one of them before passing it on to the nearest enemy.
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 03-14-2016, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Honestly you shouldn't worry with lore. It's already a mess with all the differences beetwen the game, and this UT is still searching is direction. Just a focus on a fun gamemode, people will find out a story later on, maybe even do some custom model of their own.

For the balance that's why I suggested things that are already present in the game, like just more health and weapons, or the power up. They can give a simple differentiation beetwen two teams without overcomplicating the game as it stays in the range of UT gameplay. Like the Mutant gametype in UT2004.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X