Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invasion vs. MonsterHunt

I personally prefer MonsterHunt and here's why:

MonsterHunt in UT99 was a lot more fun. Each map was like an adventure. Each map had it's story. It was like a small scale MMO. Players were racing not only in the form frags, but they also wanted to be the first to reach the end of the map and see themselves standing there, pelvis thrusting, waving at the others. Players were gathering before portals that lead to bossfights, almost as if they are preparing for a raid. It had quests! Often you had to search for keys or switches on the map or portals. Gather most to progress, gather all for a special reward (like instagib). It had a variety of maps with underwater and airborn missions.

In UT2k4 there's nothing in comparison to great maps like Andromeda Ancient, Skylands 1-3, SkyBlueFound 1-2, Long Corridor (2006 version), jikyu800-en, Nali Village, Krall Fortress, WinterHouse, etc. Invasion is a completely underwhelming experience compared to MonsterHunt.

Moreover, MonsterHunt also includes survival on DeathMatch type maps like Invasion.
    UT99 MonsterHunt
    50.57%
    UT2k4 Invasion
    49.43%
    Last edited by InVader; 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM.
    Check out my work!
    | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
    | Localization

With a bit of fantasy one can simply include one in the other.
    Let's say the mode will be called "Monster Hunt"
    A mapper can simply make a map and put the spawning points like in Invasion

I agree that MH was funnier, Invasion though was more team-based, Monster Hunt is a bit weird in that case
    http://i.imgur.com/6dJ1rdc.jpg

Comment

Of course, they don't necessarily exclude each other. I was merely asking what should be the devs/mappers aim for, IF there's going to be a game mode with monsters. There's were maps like SpawnKill in MonsterHunt, which was just a small room and monster would constantly spawn from the corners, stronger ones each time, until you killed all of them. But there were lot more long adventurous maps in MonsterHunt, while in Invasion they were non-existent (correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't find a single server with these kind of maps).
      Check out my work!
      | Localization

Comment

Most of the Invasion games I found online were fun but nothing compared to MH. Inv often had any old deathmatch map used and players would try to survive until the next wave. Not a lot of teamwork on most servers, but occasionally you'd find some and it would be good there.

Admittedly I mostly played Invasion online to get ahold of monster skins I could transfer to MonsterHunt, or for skins on playable monsters in ut99.

The main thrill of MH for me was that you had to hunt the monsters down, Invasion they all come after you. Kind of like that "Us Against Them" gametype built into the MonsterMadness mutator. Which is fun but not as much of a challenge.
        Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
        http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilg...0_original.png
        http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

....Why not both?

Seriously guys, the black and white poll choices are kinda getting annoying. It's very often UT99 vs UT2k4 in polls like this and there is never any in between choice like both or none in most of the poll choices, and it seems the only time we can get close to any kind of middle ground is when Epic gets involved. :/

Anyway, aside from that, I think both should be included in the game at some point. Monster Hunt would play more like an adventure-based map while Invasion (I propose we rename it Monster Invasion, actually.) would be a survival gamemode with specially made maps (With the abbreviation MI- by their map names.) that can also be played with Deathmatch maps if players choose to do so.

Now I don't know if the gamemodes will be included in the base game, but they are still gamemodes that I really want to see in the game over the course of it's lifetime. However, whether the gamemodes are made by Epic or the fans wont really matter much to me, although I do think that the gamemodes would be higher quality if they were made by Epic.

Comment

....Why not both?
            Well, MonsterHunt essentially includes Invasion too, because it did have DM type maps, where you killed monsters, until there were none left. Invasion limited you to ONLY the survival type maps. That's another reason why I think MonsterHunt is superior to Invasion.

The purpose of this poll is also to tell developers what should they aim for, IF there's going to be a game mode with monsters. That's why there's no middle-ground answer to this poll.
            Last edited by InVader; 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM.
            Check out my work!
            | Localization

Comment

A blending of both would be great... not entirely sure how that would work but I'm all for anything that makes things more fun.
              Originally posted by InVader View Post
              Well, MonsterHunt essentially includes Invasion too, because it did have DM type maps, where you killed monsters, until there were none left.
              True, but a majority of MH maps weren't so much like DM ones. They were long and lengthy things, where you had to fight your way through, survive until the ultimate challenge at the end.

Like the stuff UnrealSP.org does, MonsterHunt fell very close to those SinglePlayer adeventure maps they did. It was a nice mix an Unreal1 type scenario with all ut99 had to offer.
              Last edited by EvilGrins; 05-17-2014, 05:45 PM. Reason: added content
              Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
              http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilg...0_original.png
              http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

invasion rules

you guy guys don't appreciate the skill and time invested to have a high level player on a custom invasion server

Comment

I'll have to strongly agree with bananna_hamok. There is nothing better than an RPG invasion server!

Comment

I think I like Tally Ho! better than others. If you haven't tried this UT mod, you really should.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

As people have said, they're THE SAME MOD

MH has more depth, some maps are small like DM maps

Most are pretty long

Obviously 2K4 invasion has better monsters and graphics but it's not as good overall

So... we need MH in the new UT, since it'll be invasion+MH basically

Comment

The only thing either of these gametypes needs is a trigger that says, "End the game now."
                        Then you can easily make a story-driven cooperative map, a wave-based defense map, whatever.
                        Monster Hunt was obviously the superior experience when it worked well, but it also requires a lot more effort to design good cooperative maps. I worked on the Monster Evolution mod for UT2004 (Assault vs. Monsters) and it's really hard to develop decent maps. Lack of map content was always our biggest problem. Invasion, while more simplistic, at least lets you reuse content from other gametypes.
                        Join Project: Open Tournament: Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

I refuse to vote because my vote is both.

The biggst obstacle here is modeling, animating and making the AI for the monster.

I support this alot because later on it would make a Unreal 1 remake so easy

Comment

modeling and animation should be the hard part, yes. As for the AI, the devs can practically copy-paste code from MonsterHunt/Invasion. Preferably MonsterHunt, because I don't wan the monsters chasing after me from the entire map. I am the hunter.

It does need some improvement, because monsters in MH would often get stuck. Then we would just hold down the mouse button, press Escape, release mouse, press escape again and voila, you character shoots by itself. We (me and friends) called this "enjoying the game" mode I usually went for a drink and came back to see a dead boss Yop, that's how it worked in UT99 sometimes.

Again, MonsterHunt does include most of what Invasion had. Some servers even had RPG modes. I hated those though. They were empty anywas. Best servers made you stronger depending on how many monsters you killed (mostly extra HP. 1 monster = +20 HP or so. You could go beyond 200HP) and had Relics!

That reminds, we need a poll about Relics, too. One of the best mutators.
                            Check out my work!
                            | Localization

Comment

Originally posted by bananna_manuk View Post
                              invasion rules

you guy guys don't appreciate the skill and time invested to have a high level player on a custom invasion server
                              You're right. Mostly because if you joined a match a bit later (or died) when the big bosses came, you were too weak against them. And whoever gets the redeemer/whatnot first, gains the most levels and leaves the other in the dust.
                              Check out my work!
                              | Localization

Comment

Working...
                              X