Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the Hate for Double Domination?

Hi guys,

I personally enjoyed DDOM a lot, having to maintain complete dominance of two checkpoints totally demonstrates the levels of intensity that only UT can deliver.
    Blue team dominating! 10 seconds pass, BOOM - a team scores. As opposed to Domination, which is basically Conquest from Battlefield (control A/B/C, the more control, the more points, X points wins), DDOM can really engage the players because everything can change in an instant. I think DOM provides a lower level of intensity, one more commonly seen in large-scale WAR/ONS maps (for example ONS-Torlan).

I'd really love to hear what people think of DOM and DDOM in a constructive way, post away!
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

I think the hate comes from fact that it replaced original DOM instead of adding a new gametype. And these actually are different gametypes with different mechanics. Personally, I like both DOM and DDOM, it's sad that they're become separated(and even disappear completely in UT3).

DDOM provides different gameplay, whith a bit more priority distribution. It's more intense, when every moment counts, with that feel like "just... hold on... one... more... **** second!". Also requires specific maps, in UT2k4 if you move fast enough, "X team dominating!" + 10 seconds should be just enough to get the chance to reset countdown on most maps. You also can't easily swap between two points, you must chose your path from the beginning and attack, then hold the control until you die. Nice & simple.

So, I hope that this gametype wouldn't be forgotten for the time being...

Comment

lol... meh
      Last edited by Chaos8192; 08-21-2014, 01:48 AM.

Comment

For me the gameplay will just take halt because the nodes have to respawn after each round and can ruin the gameplay for players. It seems it only gets exciting for a brief moment then it will all come to the halt. Whereas DOM it is constant speed and if you are playing at a competitive scene teamwork (DDOM has teamwork too) and powerups play a key role. DDOM you can get lucky, spawn near a node and take the round as a win, then have to start over. DOM you have to worry about the node the whole game and control it. Also there is a score DOM well be 200 pts with a time clock of 20 min it can get very intense near each map trying to get the final points. Where in DDOM it is three points and same time the only intense part is during the countdown. Sorry i am on my phone will write more later
        History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
        UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
        UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

For hate is the truest form of love. The love to hate.

Comment

duelers tdmers will never like Dom becouse of the translocator.
            DDom is more for them.

What UT2k4 really lacked was great DDOM maps. As a clanbase administrator i organized some cups with the less played mods, and i can tell you it was really hard to find decent ddom maps. Most of the maps were oversized, it wasnt team fighting vs team, but instead it was 2 team vs 2 team, mostly 2 players against 2 players at point A and 3 vs 3 at point B. The distance between ddom control points were so big, that at most maps it could take 20-30 seconds easily to get to one point after spawn, or to get to one point to an another.

So first we need good DDOM maps and more people will love it. We need normal sized maps basically one arena with a fast and action packed layout.

I think both DOM and DDOM can have its place in the UT world.
            Last edited by Hektoerr; 05-18-2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

As a default mode, I think Domination needs some tweaks. Like as I said in another thread, you can't just run to the point jump on it and get it. You should stay near it for a small amount of time.
              Also, Double Domination is restricted to two points, Domination can have from 1 to whatever you want

IMHO something fresh but that still focus on the control of points should be made

Comment

In my experience playing with bots, classic domination could feel at times like a very passive gametype. Like a regular deathmatch where the frags don't matter and most of the action centers around the domination points. Eventually one or another team wins and it wasn't always clear which showed stronger offense or defense. There's a reason for this I'll explain below.

In contrast, again only in my experience with bots, double domination felt like a very active gametype. The countdown timer absolutely required that offensive players always be moving towards domination points. It was oftentimes very frustrating for the loser and absolutely nerve-wracking for the defender in those really tough matches. I loved it.

In a stalemate, in classic domination points continue to accumulate for both teams if 2/3 nodes are being controlled between them and the remaining point sort of bounces back and forth. Between well-matched teams it could feel somewhat random who ended up winning in the end.

In double domination, a stalemate meant that no-one was scoring, and it was always a risk to take more bots off of defense to make a push to capture the other node to score.

I agree with peterk that many DDOM maps were much too large. It felt extremely unfair to spawn back in the middle of the map, as far away from domination nodes as possible and not be able to get to them in time to prevent a capture.
                Dueling Flak Cannons
                We see the shells falling
                Together, we die

Comment

DM players don't like DOM because of the translocator.
                  CTF players don't like DOM because of the random spawns.
                  also known as Humphro

Comment

Saying that I "hate" DDOM would be very exaggerated, but overall I prefer the classic DOM for the sole reason that I experience it as being less stressful than DDOM.

Comment

Is it really hate or just a lack of love? As far as I can tell people didn't pay enough attention to DDOM for it to really get hated; just disliked by some. There's no question that 2003/2004 DDOM failed compared to UT99 DOM. However, I don't see why someone couldn't make a mod for DDOM. How hard could that be?
                      UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
                        There's no question that 2003/2004 DDOM failed compared to UT99 DOM.
                        This is by no means a foregone conclusion. Read what other people have written in this thread.
                        Dueling Flak Cannons
                        Together, we die

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyVein View Post
                          This is by no means a foregone conclusion. Read what other people have written in this thread.
                          I meant in terms of online multiplayer player counts. For example, UT99's DOMination even had organized clan leagues/ladders.
                          UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

We (SoL) still play Classic Dom. I converted over a 100 maps. DDOM was never a big thing in our community.

Comment

Well there you have it then. The players speak.
                              Dueling Flak Cannons
                              Together, we die

Comment

Working...
                              X