A simple mutator(?) idea - DPS instead of frags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I messed around with the UT fourever mod a bit. It has some good ideas for sure.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SnowballWr View Post
    The problem i have is that many times the outcome of DM games feels too random. Weaker players often get more frags than stronger and more experienced players. Players i can easily dominate in duels beat me, because they are in the right place at the right time ... with a rocket launcher ... stealing the frag from the dude i was "working on", and then killing me. Probably the rockets and player counts are also part of the problem idk. I could be wrong. Maybe the "weaker players" earned their position on the scoreboard, and a damage based match would have the same results ...

But yes, i would love to see the scoring system you described. Maybe then we would have more info on the matter and determine do we need a damage based DM.
    I think the easiest way to do this, would be to have some way to just do an export after a match which would consist of
    • time stamp
    • damage done against each player
    • what weapon
    • whether it resulted in a frag

Inspect it in excel and see how you are actually fairing. Easier than wasting time coming up with some nice UI to examine it.

Do this for a while and see whether your suspicions are justified.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The problem i have is that many times the outcome of DM games feels too random. Weaker players often get more frags than stronger and more experienced players. Players i can easily dominate in duels beat me, because they are in the right place at the right time ... with a rocket launcher ... stealing the frag from the dude i was "working on", and then killing me. Probably the rockets and player counts are also part of the problem idk. I could be wrong. Maybe the "weaker players" earned their position on the scoreboard, and a damage based match would have the same results ...

But yes, i would love to see the scoring system you described. Maybe then we would have more info on the matter and determine do we need a damage based DM.
    Last edited by SnowballWr; 05-18-2016, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have some issues with this idea though, since UT is a frag based game alot of matches are won on Damage as well as frag count, it would be a rare occasion a lower Damage player could kill more people but I suppose it does happen. It just seems to me like a player would have to actively try to circumvent the rules of DM to win in such a manner to the point one might call them out on it, I feel as though the better solution here is to make a scoring system in DM that matters, that players damage is shown right there next to frags so you can determine by eye if someone "stole" the game.

From there if you can prove to me that it happens often enough we need a new mode, I'll be more than happy to discuss further

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SnowballWr View Post
    Not gonna be surprised if this was done before somewhere in some way, because It’s very simple idea. But I would like to see a mutator that turns fragmatch ( deathmatch ) into a … “damage match”. The winner is not the player/team with the highest frag count, but the player/team with the highest damage dealt. Frags should maybe award bonus points, but not that much to make kill-steals relevant. I also think that damage numbers indicator ( similar to doom 4 ) would fit the concept and theme of the mutator.

Btw i don't have any programing skills or experience with UE ... so is something like this even possible to be done with a mutator ?
    [MENTION=891]MonsOlympus[/MENTION] is already working on a damage numbering within the UT Fourever mod

I'd been thinking of something similar as a way to reward people even if they didn't get the final shot, similar to assists in DOOM.

I do like the idea of it being completely damaged based and it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic A simple mutator(?) idea - DPS instead of frags

A simple mutator(?) idea - DPS instead of frags

Not gonna be surprised if this was done before somewhere in some way, because It’s very simple idea. But I would like to see a mutator that turns fragmatch ( deathmatch ) into a … “damage match”. The winner is not the player/team with the highest frag count, but the player/team with the highest damage dealt. Frags should maybe award bonus points, but not that much to make kill-steals relevant. I also think that damage numbers indicator ( similar to doom 4 ) would fit the concept and theme of the mutator.

Btw i don't have any programing skills or experience with UE ... so is something like this even possible to be done with a mutator ?
Working...
X