Mixed difficulty ai in Deathmatch challenges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixed difficulty ai in Deathmatch challenges

I just got UT today and decided to start crossing off some of the hard challenges before I hit the online multiplayer servers. And I had a little bit of very specific feedback.

I get what you're going for with the individual skill levels for each AI - The fact their competence is tied to their identity gives them a bit of personality, and in 90% of gamemodes it doesn't cause any problems. Mixed difficulty bots in CTF/TDM/Domination seems fine, but in FFA deathmatch challenges mixed difficulty bots is something that i feel is undesirable because as a player you don't have any real control over the rate at which they harvest the easier bots. Even if you win your personal encounters with the "hard" bot, as soon as it respawns it just keeps going to town on the easier bots, so much so that I feel like the challenge would be EASIER if the remaining bots had their difficulties increased to be on par with the other guy.

This is most pronounced on larger maps like spacer where encounters are more rare and victors are able to work their way up to a full stack.

hmm, mixed feelings about that. In real games, the same would happen, right. A good player will "harvest" more frags even if you are not there

Comment

Originally posted by LoD View Post
      hmm, mixed feelings about that. In real games, the same would happen, right. A good player will "harvest" more frags even if you are not there
      Yes, in fact, in real games the good player will purposefully do this, picking viable targets is an important part of playing deathmatch. If the challenges are too hard then their overall difficulty should be reduced instead of making the skill levels of the bots the same across the board.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by Avalanche._ View Post
        Yes, in fact, in real games the good player will purposefully do this, picking viable targets is an important part of playing deathmatch. If the challenges are too hard then their overall difficulty should be reduced instead of making the skill levels of the bots the same across the board.
        I agree. The realism in fights with bots is what made me fall in love with UT in the first place.

Comment

Working...
        X