Clear All

Rocket Arena

Rules:
    -1v1 (2v2 optional)
    -The player has 100 hp and 100 armor
    -The player has all weapons and a specific amount of ammo
    -The one who bites the dust looses the round
    -Small arena style maps
    -Rocket Launcher can be set by the admin to fire instant, but only ONE rocket or the default multi shot with the small delay (even if you shoot only one rocket)

It was a pretty fun and balanced duel mode, but only available as a mod in the older games.

Sidenote: I know my aim sUucks, but it's 3 in the morning and I recorded this for presentation purpose only.
    Last edited by Judge Rekt; 05-19-2014, 10:22 PM.

Yes please, it was the best way to warmup before a ctf pug or match. Don't forget that the last arena in each map was a "clan arena" setup on a tdm map which was probably a major influence in the TAM mod for 2k4.

Comment

I liked this mode, spent a lot of hours playing this with friends on lan, would welcome a return of this!

Comment

I would prefer this mode over TAM any minute. This was actually fun and required a lot of skills against top UTers.

Comment

Rocket arena hooked me up back in 99 so much, I truly enjoyed this, on the other hand I hate TAM or BTA, it's simply not the same, not even close, would be awesome to see it in the next UT.

Comment

It's the same as TAM but only on small maps?

Comment

I subscribe to this! Forget TAM, focus in Rocket Arena. There's a direction that this new UT must have, and TAM? Large maps and such? It just doesn't fit.
              work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Could someone point out the big difference between rocket arena and tam?

Comment

Originally posted by garuDa View Post
                  It's the same as TAM but only on small maps?
                  And you could rocket jump and dodge-rocket-jump! simply amazing The map designs were top notch too, the perfect environment for beautifull movie-like frags.

Kamikaze players were a bit annoying though, specially with 6 pack eheh, I think in RA it should be nerfed to 1-2 rockets max.

Comment

RA = no self-damage from your own weapons and larger momentum/throw caused by projectiles, otherwise it's basically the same concept.

Comment

If i could code i would make this in my free time. This mod was also included in the game of the year edition of UT99 together with the chaos mod & tactical ops.

Originally posted by Danielito View Post
                      standard 1vs1 - (2vs2 max) - 3 rounds - own unique small duel maps (arena layout - most of them symmetrical, each arena you entered consisted of 5 similar-themed maps if i remember correctly) - ticket system -> best player/team continues to play - rocket jump is possible (self inflicted damage is disabled)

This was the menu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU0ZiozKSW8

Comment

Fun-game modes is a must have imo, as it allows to reach out for potential players. Lots of them are casual players, not interested in hardcore gameplay. StarCraft 2 is a great example of that, Arcade mode is a place where community can play just for fun, it's a place where talented mod-makers deliver thier work for free. I strongly suggest to prepare UT4 for the same model, where everybody interested in classic arena shooter can find something for them, deliver best possible experience for hardcore competitive players, an also same high quality stuff for less serious players, and those totally just4fun. Epic might just make room for that kind kind of content, the rest will be done by moder community. SC2 succeeded, so UT4 can as well. Iff anybody needs to learn, then let's learn from those who are masters at what they do.
                        Last edited by phoraxx; 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

i absolutely loved this when it came out. we played it all the time, and i could see this being an awesome mod for UT4 with the new lobby systems as well.
                          the original maps were mostly well suited to the RA gameplay, and the TDM maps were a bit of fun as well.

would love it if it was revived for UT4

Comment

Originally posted by bacon buster View Post
                            i absolutely loved this when it came out. we played it all the time, and i could see this being an awesome mod for UT4 with the new lobby systems as well.
                            the original maps were mostly well suited to the RA gameplay, and the TDM maps were a bit of fun as well.

would love it if it was revived for UT4
                            I don't know the story behind this mod. I think it originally was an Quake 3 mod.
                            It was community made but most of the available arenas were actually designed by Epic employees. I guess they loved the concept & decided to give it their full support.
                            Last edited by sera; 01-13-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

RA was awesome, but it required a lot of work for building it's maps. It's 2kx Successor, "Rocketeer" was basically a low resource version of RA, where the rules were basically ported to use TDM maps, and a couple other "concessions" were made, in light of the mapping differences.

Originally posted by Danielito View Post
                              Well, first how they were similar. Both spawn you fully loaded (all weapons, full ammo), and with what equates to the 100a pickup. Both either operate on empty arenas (no items, pickups, powerups), and are round based. Winner of each round is the one who eliminates the opposition.

Rocket arena took to the "even ground" level of competition in the best way possible. It utilized maps that were small enough that they didn't require pickups to drive the action. This, though, was primarily why it was limited to 2v2. Any more would require larger maps, and thus you'd need some form of incentive for players to interact with each other, as opposed to just trying to "survive" or "not get fragged" which was problematic in any NI game type on DM maps (which are designed around pickups), like LMS, Rocketeer, TAM, CA, BTA, etc. Rocket arena also added an element of "fun" by removing self damage for free impulse jumps, adding all kinds of high flying z-axis action to the game play. This was accentuated and accommodated by the maps (fully custom, multi-small-arena), which is a major problem of CA, and Rocketeer as the TDM maps they were played on did not. The only draw back to this, was suddenly there was no risk for point blank goo, 6 packs, flak bombs, etc. At times, it almost forced you to impluse jump around to keep your distance from your opponent.

TAM, though similar in rules formatting, was an entirely different effort, intended to bring some of those elements to larger arenas for 4v4 and 5v5 game play, and make said competition more like most regular team sports, introducing a negative feedback loop. Self damage was normal, though IH damage was reduced, and IH impulse enhanced (a small homage to the high flying RA inspiration), and it used group spawning on TDM maps (which I've not seen done else where thus far). The negative feedback loop, or "Challenge mode" as it was called (option that could be disabled) was a health handicapping system which offset the health by making the team with more round wins have less health. It was designed to be a competitive team game that worked on existing maps, and addressed some of the issues of other similar games, like CA, and Rocketeer, shaping it into a more polished game type. Though certainly inspired by, and expanded upon the RA format, it was not in any way mean to reproduce, or compete with the concept.

Both had their problems, and both had things about them that made them fun and unique. Of all the above mentioned game types, they were certainly the most polished. The rest just felt like thrown together warm up modes, and where some people would describe both RA and TAM as such, I thought they were much better formats for slightly "less serious" competition. The sad thing is, one of those "thrown together warm up modes" is the most played QL game type right now.
                              Originally posted by Mysterial
                              An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Working...
                              X