Ut-mmo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ut-mmo

Any plans for Unreal Tournament - Massively Multiplayer Online gamemode ?
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
    Let it al go: Fear, Doubt, Disbelief.
    FREE YOUR MIND !
    http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...mes/Ne0sig.jpg

Can't even imagine a situation where that would work.

Care to outline a basis?

Comment

I have never played a MMO, but my brother used to play Warcraft and I would watch him play sometimes.
      I remember there were rooms where guys could hang out (without weapons) to chat and organize matches etc. I remember thinking community portal like that would be cool for UT.

Comment

UT-MMO server software could be open source.
        There could be a list of private(with password) and public(open access) servers, on the game launcher.
        Each server will have it's own persistent world. Database, and chat will be separate for each server. Server account registration & login could be built into the game launcher.
        Different servers could have different exp rates, drop rates, funding solutions(Donation, Subscription, Item Mall, etc.), and will be displayed during account registration.

Depending on the server you've logged into, the launcher could install a new client or update an old one.
        Last edited by Ne0Freedom; 05-20-2014, 04:51 AM.
        Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
        FREE YOUR MIND !

Comment

ok, but where does it fit in the unreal universe?

just spouting off a couple of things that make an mmo...well, an mmo, doesn't mean it makes sense in the unreal universe.

unreal has always, and will always be about fast-paced gameplay before anything else...

someone mentions a persistent world, of what exactly? what about unreal is not "persistent"? there's no character progression (and there **** well shouldn't be, this is an arena shooter, not a realism shooter where you're weapon-gated) the maps are static and don't change over time, there won't be paid DLC from epic (in the form of expansions)

I spent serious time on mmos (700 days played, single character on a certain 3 letter mmo) and I can't think of any situation where it makes sense on an arena shooter.

unless you just want a couple thousand people online on a single server? is that what you're talking about?

I'm not being difficult, but you need to articulate these ideas if you want them to be looked at with more than a passing glance.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            someone mentions a persistent world, of what exactly? what about unreal is not "persistent"? there's no character progression (and there **** well shouldn't be, this is an arena shooter, not a realism shooter where you're weapon-gated) the maps are static and don't change over time, there won't be paid DLC from epic (in the form of expansions)
            4 things that characterize MMOTRPG / MMOARPG
            1. Action
            2. Character Progression
            3. Roleplay
            4. persistent world

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            I spent serious time on mmos (700 days played, single character on a certain 3 letter mmo) and I can't think of any situation where it makes sense on an arena shooter
            I'm guessing that "3 letter mmo" is WOW.
            If you haven't already played Tablula Rasa, you don't know what you have already missed. It was the epitome of fast paced open persistent world action MMO !

If you want to tryout MMO Shooters, here's some examples...
            • Firefall - slowest character progression
            • Hellgate - instance based mmo(not open world), you party up in town and go kill monsters, faster paced than Firefall & Defiance
            • Defiance - buy to play MMO
            • Ace Online / Air Rivals - aerial combat mmo (combat flight simulator)
            Last edited by Ne0Freedom; 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM.
            FREE YOUR MIND !

Comment

Wasn't Huxley (correct game/name?) a kind of a shooter MMO?

As for Unreal MMO, not really in scope for UT. Maybe the Unreal Universe could have a place for MMO (human-nali-skaarj-etc. wars for instance), but that would be another topic entirely.
              Also known as musilowski.
              UE user since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by ojrask View Post
                As for Unreal MMO, not really in scope for UT. Maybe the Unreal Universe could have a place for MMO (human-nali-skaarj-etc. wars for instance), but that would be another topic entirely.
                This pretty much hits it. While a UT MMO would be possible, it's definitely not something that would fit in for this game.
                http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/325/16447qq9.png http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7066/2364.png

Comment

lol... meh
                  Last edited by Chaos8192; 08-21-2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

As much as I like both MMO's & UT, I am not certain this would work, especially if the persistent world is not managed by the developer.
                    Can you imagine login on to a given server (public or private, reasoning stays the same), leveling up for a few months, enjoying your characters.. then all of a sudden the server is shut down definitively ?

Ok, I know, some real companies did the same to players, but that is exactly the point. I like the concept of leveling, but what I like even more is not to lose my characters.

This is a nice wish on paper, but in practice, it raises a huge load of issues.

Comment

I think "Unreal" MMO could be very cool !...an open world RPG Style game But not UT.
                      Epic can makes an RTS game from UT {something like Dawn of war.That's one of my favorite game series} and makes Unreal a brand !...It was just a thought about unreal universe :s
                      For now i think epic works on a Co-op game {maybe about that samaritan demo or infiltrator !...who knows }

Comment

Unreal Tournament is an arena shooter, not an MMO. If you want a MMOFPS try Planetside.
                        Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

<khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

Comment

i always imagined a huge server in ut, where ppl run over large maps and build their own homes (which u can do in some trials in ut2k4) and explore the map and updates

This is actually possible, it depends on leveldetail and servercapacity - though there have to be some mods to install fates or monsters
                          Projects: UT4BombingRun | UTCC wiki

Comment

I already posted this sugestion here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ith-open-mind)

I'm sure this can be done, and if done well this can be a success.

There are some basic rules this should follow if this ever happen:

1-managed server: The mmo main server should be managed by epic.
                            2-games inside GAME: even if the main server is ruled by epic, users should be able to add their private servers to the main server, connect to it, and allow players that connect to the main play in this private servers.
                            3-progression: this point is very important, even if UT was always an eSport with all players with "same" "weapons" (I still remember when my ping was horrible and I got kicked my *** badly because my opponent has good ping), any mmo need a progression. This can be done, and make the actual game types, games that don't get affected by progression. Imagine we equip characters with armors/weapons/levels/skills, and they get better over time by doing some achivements, even in this scenario, we can just remove all armor/weapon/level/skills (whatever) and play pixels vs pixels (as the UT we know) in all the well known gametypes, and leave the progression for the main "game", with the mmo factor in mind, something that can be as simple as a well planed invasión mmo.

Remember that nowdays mmo's are very popular, so if we make UT4 a mmo type we will get good free advertisement plus lot more players than the UT series ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by velocidad View Post
                              Remember that nowdays mmo's are very popular, so if we make UT4 a mmo type we will get good free advertisement plus lot more players than the UT series ever have.
                              It's not going to happen. Arena Shooter != MMO.

Also, and no offence, but you guys have no idea what it takes to actually develop and run a MMO. It's not just make open space, throw some quests and items in and done. I've worked in the games industry for 5 years now and four of those years were for AAA MMO's. MMO's that broke world records and a UT MMO is NOT going to happen.
                              http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/325/16447qq9.png http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7066/2364.png

Comment

Working...
                              X