Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Ut-mmo

Ut-mmo

Any plans for Unreal Tournament - Massively Multiplayer Online gamemode ?

• replied
    Well i can imagine UT MMO like Destiny, where u have different big areas, you get randomly spawned bosses. At night maybe a zombie attack. You can gather stuff and craft mountvehicles, maybe your own house.

You can even do survival UT , where the air is toxic and you need to find resources to get water, fresh material or gear to survive the circumstances and of course pvp.

The ideas are plenty but of course nothing Epic will do but another developer

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UnrealEngine 2.5 FTW

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
    It's always fun to stuff 20 players into an 8 player Jailbreak map. )
    MORBIAS 16 ANYONE? lòl

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Try playing on one of the few remaining UT2004 Onslaught servers when they are full. 32 players and crazy custom people are already too much, and you want to extend the UT world into "massive multiplayer"?

Feel free to create an MMO mod, but core UT itself should be an arena shooter. That means the map size is usually reasonable for around 10 players in team game modes, with some DM maps being even sized only for 2 or 4 people. (Of course I'm not saying that UT4 shouldn't support high player counts. It's always fun to stuff 20 players into an 8 player Jailbreak map. )

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by velocidad View Post
    Remember that nowdays mmo's are very popular, so if we make UT4 a mmo type we will get good free advertisement plus lot more players than the UT series ever have.
    It's not going to happen. Arena Shooter != MMO.

Also, and no offence, but you guys have no idea what it takes to actually develop and run a MMO. It's not just make open space, throw some quests and items in and done. I've worked in the games industry for 5 years now and four of those years were for AAA MMO's. MMO's that broke world records and a UT MMO is NOT going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I already posted this sugestion here:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ith-open-mind)

I'm sure this can be done, and if done well this can be a success.

There are some basic rules this should follow if this ever happen:

1-managed server: The mmo main server should be managed by epic.
    2-games inside GAME: even if the main server is ruled by epic, users should be able to add their private servers to the main server, connect to it, and allow players that connect to the main play in this private servers.
    3-progression: this point is very important, even if UT was always an eSport with all players with "same" "weapons" (I still remember when my ping was horrible and I got kicked my *** badly because my opponent has good ping), any mmo need a progression. This can be done, and make the actual game types, games that don't get affected by progression. Imagine we equip characters with armors/weapons/levels/skills, and they get better over time by doing some achivements, even in this scenario, we can just remove all armor/weapon/level/skills (whatever) and play pixels vs pixels (as the UT we know) in all the well known gametypes, and leave the progression for the main "game", with the mmo factor in mind, something that can be as simple as a well planed invasión mmo.

Remember that nowdays mmo's are very popular, so if we make UT4 a mmo type we will get good free advertisement plus lot more players than the UT series ever have.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i always imagined a huge server in ut, where ppl run over large maps and build their own homes (which u can do in some trials in ut2k4) and explore the map and updates

This is actually possible, it depends on leveldetail and servercapacity - though there have to be some mods to install fates or monsters

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Unreal Tournament is an arena shooter, not an MMO. If you want a MMOFPS try Planetside.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think "Unreal" MMO could be very cool !...an open world RPG Style game But not UT.
    Epic can makes an RTS game from UT {something like Dawn of war.That's one of my favorite game series} and makes Unreal a brand !...It was just a thought about unreal universe :s
    For now i think epic works on a Co-op game {maybe about that samaritan demo or infiltrator !...who knows }

Leave a comment:

• replied
    As much as I like both MMO's & UT, I am not certain this would work, especially if the persistent world is not managed by the developer.
    Can you imagine login on to a given server (public or private, reasoning stays the same), leveling up for a few months, enjoying your characters.. then all of a sudden the server is shut down definitively ?

Ok, I know, some real companies did the same to players, but that is exactly the point. I like the concept of leveling, but what I like even more is not to lose my characters.

This is a nice wish on paper, but in practice, it raises a huge load of issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    lol... meh
    Last edited by Chaos8192; 08-21-2014, 01:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ojrask View Post
    As for Unreal MMO, not really in scope for UT. Maybe the Unreal Universe could have a place for MMO (human-nali-skaarj-etc. wars for instance), but that would be another topic entirely.
    This pretty much hits it. While a UT MMO would be possible, it's definitely not something that would fit in for this game.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wasn't Huxley (correct game/name?) a kind of a shooter MMO?

As for Unreal MMO, not really in scope for UT. Maybe the Unreal Universe could have a place for MMO (human-nali-skaarj-etc. wars for instance), but that would be another topic entirely.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by raxxy View Post
    someone mentions a persistent world, of what exactly? what about unreal is not "persistent"? there's no character progression (and there **** well shouldn't be, this is an arena shooter, not a realism shooter where you're weapon-gated) the maps are static and don't change over time, there won't be paid DLC from epic (in the form of expansions)
    4 things that characterize MMOTRPG / MMOARPG
    1. Action
    2. Character Progression
    3. Roleplay
    4. persistent world

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
    I spent serious time on mmos (700 days played, single character on a certain 3 letter mmo) and I can't think of any situation where it makes sense on an arena shooter
    I'm guessing that "3 letter mmo" is WOW.
    If you haven't already played Tablula Rasa, you don't know what you have already missed. It was the epitome of fast paced open persistent world action MMO !

If you want to tryout MMO Shooters, here's some examples...
    • Firefall - slowest character progression
    • Hellgate - instance based mmo(not open world), you party up in town and go kill monsters, faster paced than Firefall & Defiance
    • Defiance - buy to play MMO
    • Ace Online / Air Rivals - aerial combat mmo (combat flight simulator)
    Last edited by Ne0Freedom; 05-20-2014, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X