Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does the game need at(beta) launch

Hi guys,

Some of you may already know, part of the reason that UT99 and 2K4 were so well recieved was the fantastic amount of content that came with the base game

A wide array of playable maps and mods, combined with maps ported/copied over from previous games - one of the reasons 2K3 was so badly slated was due to missing maps like Deck and Face

For gametypes, i believe we need the following available in the core game

DM
    TDM
    LMS
    TAM(TLMS)
    CTF
    DOM
    AS
    BT

I won't mention vehicle mods, i do think we need them in the game but it's up to vehicle players to really voice on what game modes should be included

TAM and BT are very small variations on TDM and CTF, they are both so massively popular that NOT including them in the base game would be a big mistake

I also believe that we need mutators for the following, to further expand on these game types

Instagib
    Sniper arena
    Modular movement for double jump, dodge jump, wall dodge, mantling and anything else beyond the standard run/jump/dodge which is added in to the game
    Low gravity
    Game speed
    Air control
    Relics
    Remove/replace specific power ups and weapons(redeemer, invis, amp, beserk ect)

I also believe Epic should both reach out and rely heavily on the community to port and test old maps and to make new ones for each mod type, that way during alpha/beta we can playtest them all with players of different skills and experience levels and decide what should go into the core Epic game

I believe having Epic lead this project will get people involved so that we can launch with a reasonably high number of gametypes AND a wide variety of playtested maps

There no point in being able to play 2v2 iCTF at launch if Epic don't include any maps which play well with 2v2 iCTF, for example

Having to go afield or wait for community content to flesh out mods will put players off of the game
    Last edited by tigerclaw; 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM.

To make it short:
    The game needs a community at every launch and player who will stick to the game even if it's not perfect. Otherwise, it will be the same process like UT3.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Around 3, most likely DM, TDM and CTF. The last thing we need to do early on is introduce loads of game types and split the community early when we have few players. If it's hard for people to find others to play with, they won't stick around. If they don't stick around it makes it even harder for players to find games and a downward trend continues.

Over time all of the other game types can, and will, be added. But first lets get the playerbase up and nail the core gametypes that not only is UT known for, but have proved to be the most popular in other games as well.

Comment

So obviously biased. The chances of Epic including anything resembling TAM when it's always been community driven is next to nill. We don't need all those gametypes at beta or even half of them. As Eldoon said, DM, TDM and CTF is plenty for a beta. Perhaps a vehicular gametype to keep the others from going nuts, but I doubt it. TAM players can at least work on their DM skills and be plenty satisfied for a few months imo. Plus, even the beta should be able to accept mods, so there's that.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

The only game modes in UT that aren't community driven are Onslaught and VCTF. The DM community changed DM to their liking, CTF community did the same, as did Assault...

Now the fact is that the entire game will be community driven (with the occasional issue forced by Epic because the community is frequently wrong), so you might as well include the game modes that have evolved the most because of the community.

Comment

Regardless of what the gametypes are, splitting our/their attention between any large number of gametypes for a beta is a bad idea, period. Anyone who has ever made a mod or game before should realize this.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
              Regardless of what the gametypes are, splitting our/their attention between any large number of gametypes for a beta is a bad idea, period. Anyone who has ever made a mod or game before should realize this.
              Have a long beta, focus on 2-3 gametypes/mutators at a time

What you guys are suggesting is that mods other than DM/CTF/ONS should be afterthoughts

How does that help us to get polish and good maps for those mods?

Comment

I'm not saying that Epic should creat TAM and BT from start to finish

I'm saying they should do the foundation work and encourage the community to port/make maps and to tweak gameplay

After all we're talking about gametypes which are only variations of TDM and CTF, they are fairly different but not so much that most of it won't be familliar ground

The whole point is to get the community involved in mapping, it doesn't matter how many gametypes UT ships with in beta or at release if there are only a small handful of good playtested maps then it's a failure

The success of UT has always been hand in hand with the quality and amount of stock content

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                  To make it short:
                  The game needs a community at every launch and player who will stick to the game even if it's not perfect. Otherwise, it will be the same process like UT3.
                  +1000

and some chars
                  Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Working...
                  X