[CONCEPT] Monthly Online Event Game Mode Updated Via Online Event Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    It's a good idea and works very well. Keeps people playing the game, especially if during those events you'd get the chance to either craft or win a customization item or a new map, a new character you normally have to pay for. It works similarly in DotA with the Diretide, Frostivus and not so long ago we had the New Bloom event. Right now there's also a huge focus on the upcoming Internationals (You probably heard already that it's going to have the biggest prize-pool in e-sport history. All thanks to the players with the compendiums, as mentioned in the slides). I imagine Epic is going for Valve's fully proven "Hats system" with their new marketplace anyways. I'd say Epic might as well go with the Steam Workshop, but that would mean they have to share their come from the Marketplace with Valve, which I think is the reason they want to create their own marketplace to begin with.

I think would be better with dynamic game hosting like in Titanfall the Azure servers do. Games are dynamically hosted on Microsoft's servers as required, so it would still pretty much feel like a dedicated server (for the players at least).

EDIT: Oh hey, I found the presentation slides from the Steam Developer Days explaining the in-game economies! Don't let the length scare you, it's mostly just pictures: http://media.steampowered.com/apps/s.../economies.pdf

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Epic pls
    Last edited by InVader; 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
    The concept you are talking about doesn't make sense as a "monthly event", because servers are community-hosted. (Anything else would kill the game right from the start.) The server admin decides what mods will run on the server, and if there's a mod available that is called "Who shot the sheriff?", then be assured that there will be servers running it 24/7 all year long.
    Yeah, I meant a game mode that was auto updated from Epic Games directly which could cover special monthly events where the game type is actually downloaded from Epic Games and changes depending on what the event is for, such as holiday events, or even a special competition, which can be recorded and uploaded, like World of Tanks has setup for their Las Vegas competitions via Live Feeds.

I don't mean the name of the event would be in game called Who Shot the Sheriff specifically, that would be posted on website during the event and after game client auto updates the information from Epic Games, match is setup, and game fully loaded the message would display on the game screen before match starts.

You'd select the Game Mode: Epic Games Event/Auto Event/UT Event during that period, the website would have that listed, and the portion of the game is downloaded and loaded into the game client and begins playing. Some games do this in the form of a patch or update during the holidays, sometimes it changes gameplay and other times just content or a combination of both, such as MMO's like Vindictus and FPS like World of Tanks and Combat Arms does, and even Infinity Blade had those holiday updates, so I figured an FPS version of that for UT to give something Epic Games can issue for us specifically for something different to do ever so often, as an extra bonus.

Could have a special vehicle event that looks something like this UDK Tank setup, not visually like it but UT style vehicles:

Last edited by KnightTechDev; 07-01-2014, 03:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The concept you are talking about doesn't make sense as a "monthly event", because servers are community-hosted. (Anything else would kill the game right from the start.) The server admin decides what mods will run on the server, and if there's a mod available that is called "Who shot the sheriff?", then be assured that there will be servers running it 24/7 all year long.

Leave a comment:

• [CONCEPT] Monthly Online Event Game Mode Updated Via Online Event Server

I'd like to see something where each month there would be a mode you could select that would tap you into a current game event that would be updated remotely on a server that would automatically update clients join in to that specific gameplay type for that event.

The gameplay type would change based on this event during a particular month.

For instance, a Who Shot the Sheriff Event like they have had in games such as World of Tanks, only different, to where there's a player or developer on one of the teams that are deemed as Sheriff, but there is no information displayed as to who the sheriff is, except to the team that the sheriff is on, so the other team members can act to try and defend the sheriff, the game starts with the Who Shot the Sheriff Event notification. The player that kills the sheriff is awarded a bonus.

Like This But Different:

Working...
X