Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TAM / FREON / 3SPN and how can it be part of Unreal Tournament!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMS could have rounds, though. There is no reason it doesn't.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

If the name is taken literally.

If you treat it as the proper name of a game type that has been as it's been for as long as it's been, then you have a reason.

By that logic, Deathmatch would be a more suited name to TAM, and vice versa.
      Originally posted by Mysterial
      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

Just call it The One. :P There would be a separate multiverse mode, but it is not yet known what function it would have.

Comment

I like TAM for a less serious game-type. If I wanted to play serious, I'd do 1v1 DM or TDM/CTF scrims.

But hitting up a pub TAM server 10v10 was pretty fun, just to do whatever and get some dark horses .

It undoubtedly does cause bad habits for weapons players, perhaps making the learning curve of DM/TDM even higher. But at the end of the day, those who want to compete will learn proper game-play regardless (if UT4 is a good game). Those who don't care and just want a fun game-type should have it.

Comment

My Thoughts

I used to run a UT2k4 TAM server "TG#1: The Gifted Clans Tam Server #1"

It is very simple......

If TAM is not included, it will simply be coded as a mod by someone else (or me), and due to its design being fun and very friendly to beginners, it will likely do just as well as TAM did in UT2004.

My server was so popular that it is still on the first page (19th) of the the UT2k4 stats-> servers page despite it shutting down in 2009. (http://ut2004stats.epicgames.com/ind...?stats=servers

Comment

Hey all! Found out about this project recently and literally jizzed in my pants... Just swinging in to say hey and I can't wait to be TAM'n it up with you all again sooner than later!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinarax View Post
                The smartest play here if we're to try and get a more accessible TDM-based mode in (as default) seems to be a Freon variant. Why?
                Because, not only can you "come back" from a failing/death, but, you also would have an interesting tactical aspect - do I attack the enemy, or perhaps try to aid my fallen team-mates. Obviously, that element adds a degree of risk vs reward consideration, because you may get clusters of enemies - easier targets.
                I second this. Back in the UT2k4 days I kept hearing about TAM but didn't know much about it. ...but I played a boatload of Freon. You guys remember Optimus P-Fat? Haha, man I had a lot of fun with that guy, and I think he fixed a problem with the full shadows code that was causing issues in Freon. EDIT: Yep: http://www.p-fat.net/

Most people have played freeze tag as a kid. That dynamic of killing your enemies vs. thawing teammates is thrilling, fun, challenging. It is a very fun gametype and when you manage to thaw your team and make a comeback it's amazing. The frozen teammate element and the desire to keep others from thawing their teammates keeps everyone on the move, so the game is always interesting. If you start trying to camp or stop moving, the other team will get thawed. ...that is, unless your team was unfortunate enough to get frozen in roughly one area, which happens frequently enough. Still, the gametype is just a blast. I know people would love it.
                Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM.
                I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

This would be my gametype of choice to practice using a single weapon due to spawning with it

Comment

I really want to see matchmaking, ranking, and leagues in the new UT to support vanilla gametypes. Such features can't be supported by mods, only official gametypes.

TAM is the perfect gametype for such features. That is why it should be include as a core gametype.
                    BeyondUnreal Podcast
                    r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                      Such features can't be supported by mods, only official gametypes.
                      hmm … why not?

Comment

So now that it is confirmed that this will only be developed by the community and not by EPIC, is there anyone willing to jump start this gametype?

Comment

Where was this confirmed?
                          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Tich, did you play any BTA?
                            Originally posted by Mysterial
                            An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

So there will not be an official arena style game at launch? What a bummer. Quakelive has an arena gametype and it's really good. WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Zen3y3 View Post
                                So there will not be an official arena style game at launch? What a bummer. Quakelive has an arena gametype and it's really good. WTF!
                                I think they just said they are focusing on DM, TDM and CTF for now, for Alpha client. Launch is completely different, I think the focus is that they want to nail down the core movement, weapon balance and general gameplay before moving forward on more game modes I'd assume and hope that's what they meant.
                                Last edited by Esula; 08-04-2014, 01:41 AM.
                                [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                                [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Working...
                                X