X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concept for Assault Revamp or New Game Mode: Infiltration

Concept for Assault Revamp or New Game Mode: Infiltration

General Concept:
    Two conflict areas on an asymmetrical map with rotating objectives upon successfully attacking or defending. It is also possible to get two of the same conflict area objectives based on when attackers or defenders win rounds and still function. Attackers can choose which area to attack and defenders realizing this when it happens and coordinating a strategy.

Design Philosophy and Goals:
    -Create a game mode unique to other game types.
    -Create dynamic objectives that can benefit or elevate more strategy for teams by winning and losing rounds.
    -Fit and balance game mode to Unreal Tournament core game play.
    -Add decision making depth and counter play to opposing sides.

Objectives: All these objectives would be in the conflict areas, but only one at each conflict area can be interacted with each round.

Terminal:
    -Attackers: One of the attackers spawns with and carries a device used to start a timed hack on a power control terminal (Can choose to drop it or pass it to another team mate). If accomplished opens a secure 'vault/container' and reveals an item for 'Extraction' for next round.
    -Defenders: Use the hacked terminal to shut down and reboot the power systems to stop the hack. If accomplished the power system becomes vulnerable for attack next round.

Extraction:
    -Attackers: Infiltrate a conflict area when 'Extraction is activated' and escape with the item to the exit area on the map. Successfully escaping with the item will give attackers another opportunity to hack a Power Control Terminal. Dropping the item by choice or death will leave the item at the fallen location and can be picked up by the attacker or another ally.
    -Defenders: Stop the attacker(s) from escaping with the item. Defenders can not return the item to 'vault/container' during the round if dropped by an attacker, they must defend it at the fallen location until the time rounds out or all attackers have been eliminated. Conflict area will rotate to Power Systems if the item was picked up once and failed to be extracted by attackers. Leaving the Power Systems vulnerable after the item is "reinserted" into the secure 'vault/container'.

Power Systems:
    -Attackers: Infiltrate a conflict area when 'Power systems are activated', destroy all power couplings, reactors then Power core spread out within the conflict area. Destroying all the Power Systems will open the 'vault/container' with an item for attackers to extract next round.
    -Defenders: Defend all power couplings, reactors and power core spread out within the conflict area. Link gun can heal couplings and reactors not power core. If any couplings or reactors are destroyed but the Power Core is intact, the conflict area will rotate to Terminal as the system was successfully defended after being exposed.

Rules:
    -5 vs 5 (Prefered for competitive)
    -Attackers win a round eliminating all Defenders or completing the objectives, the won conflict area rotates.
    -Defenders win a round by eliminating all Attackers. Also by countering an objective and if Attackers fail to complete an objective within the time limit. Unless a terminal hack is activated and Defenders fail to reboot the power systems in time. The countered conflict area rotates.
    -Time Limit "2" Minutes.
    -"15" Round Halftime - Sides are swapped.
    -"30" Round Limit
    -"15" second round start freeze time to talk strategy.
    -Players have one life per round or 'Freon' elements, standing near a fallen ally for a certain period of time to revive them. Or respawning if it works with the time limit and round system.
    -No Vehicles.
    -Unsure about translocators, they may work! (Drop Item/Hacking Device if used, Good for picking up weapons at round start and Defenders catching the enemy item carrier.)
    -I think weapon stay would have to be on because of the round timer.
    -Survivors at the end of a round have their picked up weapons reset/emptied for next round.

Weapons, Health, Ammo, Powerup Rules:
    -Normal Weapons, placement based on level design and objective placement (Team sided weapon placement like an asymmetrical CTF).
    -Players may have to spawn with some shields (maybe 30/50), and have one time pickup 50 shields and 100 shield per round.
    -Normal Damage Amplifier. Players drop damage amplifier on death. This could be near the middle of the map and between the conflict areas, again one time pick up per round.
    -Health packs, vials and ammo timers may need to differ from normal timers based on a set round timer. Or pick up once per round

Interface, Audio and Controls:
    -Terminal Timer:
    Time limit changes to Terminal Timer counting down from "30". Sound cues suggested.

-Terminal Hacking Device:
    Press the 'Use' key targeting a teammate to throw and pass the hacking device or drop it on the ground, run over it to pick it up.
    Player brings device near and targets a terminal then presses the 'use' to start the hack, "2" second activation time.

-Terminal Power Shutdown/Reboot/Hacked:
    Press and hold the 'use' key for "5-10" seconds to shutdown and reboot the power systems.
    Announcer cue when Power Control Terminal as been hacked.

-Extraction Item:
    Press 'use' key to pick up the item or again to drop it.
    Announcer cue when item is taken or picked up and dropped.

-Power Systems
    Announcer cue when Power Systems are being attacked.

Level Design:
    Scaling: Medium, larger than a regular DM map, giving a enough time to rotate between conflict areas/rooms.
    (Temporary Concept, another in progress)

A quick edit of CS Dust2 to illustrate the general concept, and all placements are just for show/place holding (Missing KEG, Health packs, Health Vials and Ammo pickups). I'm not a good map designer so just imagine the use of 'verticality' in some areas, ie; ramps, stairs, jump pads, lifts, lofts.

I will be editing, adding and changing a bunch based on feedback. And yes there is inspiration from Counter-Strike, all times/round numbers are 'place holders'. I tried to give the objective rotations a 'storytelling' to them the best I could, though other objective themes could be added. And I will add an animation gif showing a better visual than the diagram does for the rotations. I also know a lot of people like TAM, so I thought mixing that feel with Assault into something more dynamic could be really great.

Hope I don't give too many people headaches trying to understand how it all works, hopefully once it clicks it will make sense and is actually fairly simple.
    Last edited by Esula; 08-03-2014, 09:47 PM.
    [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
    [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

I predict that the "no respawn during round" rule will essentially degenerate this game to TAM with places to go to optionally do something else. Compare it to Counter-Strike - what percentage of rounds is won due to elimination of the opposing team? I'd guess quite a large number. Sure, attackers on de_ maps may plant the bomb, but even then it often doesn't blow up because it either gets defused (usually after all attackers are eliminated) or because all defenders get eliminated.
    <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
    <TNSe> nono
    <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
    <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
    <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
    <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
      I predict that the "no respawn during round" rule will essentially degenerate this game to TAM with places to go to optionally do something else. Compare it to Counter-Strike - what percentage of rounds is won due to elimination of the opposing team? I'd guess quite a large number. Sure, attackers on de_ maps may plant the bomb, but even then it often doesn't blow up because it either gets defused (usually after all attackers are eliminated) or because all defenders get eliminated.
      There's more potential strategy, story and dynamic here than TAM, and watching a team play out a strategy for an objective is still interesting if it ends up being an elimination round. You have to realize attackers still have that benefit of not having to eliminate all the defenders to still win a round. Thats why I said the times I have right now are just there for place holders for Terminal, you can make that hack time less and more tempting. You could also essentially just cover your team mates as they try to extract an item (cover your flag carrier basically) or destroy the power systems. Also adding in watching peoples fragging skills going up against 1v3 while dead is pretty fun actually or funny!

The design philosophy is with split objectives players will decide if they need to split up or stay together, this will really depend on the map design. So if defenders spit up they risk say 4 attackers all coming into one conflict area, they need to fight them and get people to rotate from the other area. However they leave the other conflict area open to that last attacker who may end up holding the rest of the defenders off for a win. If defenders stack an area, again they leave the other area more exposed. Attackers may go in and then run out of the area quickly if they see the defenders stacked it and then go to the other area. Then defenders have to question how many do they send to support the other area etc...It's basic "bomb defusal" mixed with "escape with an item" and destroy things from assault/onslaught. Also depending on the map design and the conflict areas(sites), attackers may choose to go after one objective to change it to the next rotation for the next round, which defenders could also play into their strategy.

I'm actually interested to hear what any of the developers think, because I know map design and balancing for this may be really hard to do, but I think very beneficial if pulled off. (And yes I know the focus is on CTF, TDM and DM at the moment for the alpha.)
      Last edited by Esula; 08-01-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
        90% plus most likely. I don't see that as a downside though, since the entire point of the bombsite / bomb mechanic is that they coordinate points of conflict between the two sides that's a little more structured than DM.
        Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
          90% plus most likely. I don't see that as a downside though, since the entire point of the bombsite / bomb mechanic is that they coordinate points of conflict between the two sides that's a little more structured than DM.
          90% at what level of play? In my experience with competitive MM (Supreme/Global) I'd say its closer to 65-70%. I think in UT though the number would be higher considering how much easier it is to engage targets. CS is very cautionary, if you're out of position for a second you're dead. UT is much more forgiving thus I think you'll see a greater degree of engagement which will end rounds quickly via deaths before the objective is completed.

That being said I agree that the conflicts would be more structured than traditional DM/TDM and I'd like to see what would come out of an idea like this and if it could be balanced into the game properly.

Comment

You could experiment with two lives or 'freon' type of death systems as well like standing near a fallen ally for a certain period of time to revive them.

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
              You could experiment with two lives or 'freon' type of death systems as well like standing near a fallen ally for a certain period of time to revive them.
              A lives/limited life system in unreal doesn't make sense. The game is not designed to be slow. Although, we do seem to be heading that way right now.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                A lives/limited life system in unreal doesn't make sense. The game is not designed to be slow. Although, we do seem to be heading that way right now.
                I think TAM was/is pretty fast pace even with its life system, I wouldn't say it's as fast as CTF though, but definitely isn't a bad thing and adds variety. Though I wouldn't rule out respawning if it could be made to work with the time limit and round system, I just think its more interesting if you die you can watch your team mates try to revive you or complete/defend the objectives against the odds.

Also just edited the no translocators rule to 'Unsure about translocators, they may work! (Drop item/hacking device if used)' -- Wondering about leaving a locater near one of the conflict areas, may be risky as the enemy can destroy it ;p -- Would be easier for defense to catch up to the enemy item carrier, and easier for picking up weapons.
                Last edited by Esula; 08-03-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Thought I'd bump this old thread to see if could help give anyone any ideas for a better competitive mode since this idea didn't get much traction 6 months ago. I personally hope we can get a more strategic team based mode into UT soon. A gameplay mix of CS, Overwatch/TF2 that fits for UT.

Comment

Working...
                  X