Jailbreak brainstorming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jailbreak brainstorming

We've got to start somewhere, so here goes: Jailbreak brainstorming season is open!
    If you didn't try them yet, I recommend you go and play JB2004c or UT3 Jailbreak Beta 2 or both to get a feel for where "state-of-the-art" Jailbreak for the UT series ended up.

Already up-to-date? Start suggesting in this thread or over on our forums, if you like it a little quieter.
    <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
    <TNSe> nono
    <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
    <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
    <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
    <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Jailbreak seems to invite and thrive on creative map design. Some of my favorite maps ever in previous games were ones that really only worked for this specific gametype.

I still remember sitting in jail one time and randomly looking over at a screen and realizing that I could type and read live chat in an IRC channel while waiting, just by looking at it. Needless to say, Doom 3's interactive control screens weren't nearly as impressive when it came out.
    http://i.imgur.com/UtGecAN.png

Comment

love jailbreak
      was soo good in ut3 not so meany players really a shame
      plz make for ut4 too

Comment

If you get put in jail you should be able to spectate your non-jailed team mates so you can watch them play. Jailbreak is fun, Freon, TAM or whatever variation came out of it. I think we need to look at all the variations and see if we can make the game mode less mod-like and more competitive esport-like. If it is viable I'd like to see it as a standard game mode not a downloadable mod. I came up with a concept for a game mode called: Infiltration as a try to make it a more competitive "viable" - it's basically jailbreak/Freon with objectives, though I like the simplicity of jailbreak.
        [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
        [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration
        http://i.imgur.com/X56QWQA.png

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
          I came up with a concept for a game mode called: Infiltration
          Actually there is a realistic tactical shooter mod with that name for UT1 already, so you might want to call it differently. But that's a different story for a different thread.

IMHO it should always be possible to spectate your teammates, although it should be limited to 1st person view to prevent a jailed player from being an advantage for the team. If the map offers other ways for players in jail to be useful, that's probably fine. There have always been live map screens on UT Jailbreak maps of any generation, and surveillance camera monitors.
          <TNSe> nono
          <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
          <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
            Actually there is a realistic tactical shooter mod with that name for UT1 already, so you might want to call it differently. But that's a different story for a different thread.

IMHO it should always be possible to spectate your teammates, although it should be limited to 1st person view to prevent a jailed player from being an advantage for the team. If the map offers other ways for players in jail to be useful, that's probably fine. There have always been live map screens on UT Jailbreak maps of any generation, and surveillance camera monitors.
            Lol, honestly I don't care what it is called it started out as an idea to revamp assault but I felt it ended up being completely different from going to A > B > C objective style etc. so I just named it Infiltration to differentiate if needed, can call it anything really, Intrusion, Strike, Siege whatever, just wanted to get that concept out there!

I definitely want a game mode that you have one life but your team mates can revive you in a someway, and even better if there is an objective involved. Jailbreak is nice but I want there to be more depth to take it from a mod into a competitive standard game mode, because I like the high penalty of dying or getting "captured"! I'm like a hive mine of innovation and creativity so I'd like to help in anyway possible to the new "Jailbreak"

So here is a video on youtube as a refresher how Jailbreak was played in the past and for people who don't know what it is. (Couldn't find a better video sorry)
            Last edited by Esula; 08-14-2014, 04:51 AM.
            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration
            http://i.imgur.com/X56QWQA.png

Comment

Ah yes, very nice find. Jailbreak has evolved quite a bit since then, but that kind of thorough tutorial never really "happened" again.

JB200x introduceds the idea of multiple switches and jails per team, or even a shared jail for both teams. Arena fights could take place everywhere, too. (They were restricted to a special sealed-off area in UTJB III.)
              UT3 Jailbreak also added TDM arenas, where prisoners could fight 2v2 or even 3v3. Also much of the release switch and jail behavior could be scripted. For example there was a kind of "King of the Hill" test map with a neutral switch in the middle. When a player touched the switch, it would release the player's team and change ownership to that team. As a result, the team was no longer able to release until an enemy touched the switch.

One thing that always bothered me a bit was that the newer JB incarnations never reached the same level of "execution entertainment" that UTJB3 maps had. For example there's one map where players were executed by tiny versions of Unreal monsters. The type of monster would be announced during the round before via a scrolling banner text and the type would change after each execution.

UT Jailbreak 3 Executions:

Jailbreak 2004b Executions:

(Some of these changed for JB2004c)
              <TNSe> nono

Comment

are all the jailbreak voice done by utgirrrl
                or the same voice as xeno ut3

Comment

Yes, Jailbreak announcer voices are done by NYGrrl/UTGrrl/UnrealGrrl or whatever her current nick is.
                  She also lend her voice to other custom game modes as announcer, e.g. CTF4 in UT2004. UT4 isn't even close to having its own announcer, so the style isn't determined yet. Still, it would be nice to have her as announcer voice again.
                  <TNSe> nono

Comment

she have a great voice for it
                    hope se will do it in new jailbreak too

Comment

I'm not actually sure if bringing up this old stuff is a good idea for developing a new Jailbreak game mode, but here are some of the thoughts I wrote down way before starting UT3 Jailbreak development.
                      Note how it it still says "UT2007", so this happened way before UT3 was even released.
                      <TNSe> nono

Comment

Working...
                      X