Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    This post took some time.

My opinion; since most want an Unreal Tournament that resembles UT99, we should primarily look at what is still vivid in the latter and secondly compare to UT2004.
    So today, I did.

UT99 This morning (10AM GMT+1)

UT99 This evening (9PM GMT+1)

UT2004 This evening (9PM GMT +1)

~results:

UT99 Top 5
    1. Capture The Flag
    2. Deathmatch
    3. Monsterhunt
    4. Bunnytrack
    5. Siege

UT2004 Top 5
    1. Onslaught
    2. Deathmatch
    3. Capture The Flag
    4. Team Deathmatch
    5. Invasion

Obviously (team)Deathmatch and Capture The Flag are a dead giveaway as these are most popular in both versions.

Being biased towards Bunnytrack, I feel inclined to convince everyone to play it, and pressure whoever is responsible to ship it in the game. I've never seen and played that many creative maps in a 'mod'.
    With over 2000 user created maps, it proves a dedicated community, who could serve more than a standalone game on itself. It's extremely fun to play recreationally, yet teeth-grinding competitiveness professionally.
    There is no game like it, and kept many and myself close to UT during the last 10 years.
    Also, I heard the developers say they want to focus on the eSport aspect of CTF. Well, then BT is a must, especially when the developers are trying to beat each other's time in a race map.
    The next incentive is that it's very entertaining to watch. It's on par with DM and CTF.

Onslaught is the next no-brainer, but in case that takes too much time, I'd happily buy an expansion pack months later. (Like Onslaught should have been an expansion to UT2003.)

Monster Hunt is the fourth game mode I would add, especially now that 'zombie killer games' are popular. I love the thought of blasting my way trough a horde of monsters. Even with vehicles, imagination goes wild:

Lastly, judging from the top 5 either Siege or Invasion should be next, but due to no experience with either, I have nothing more to say.

Except for quoting those who mentioned Bunnytrack before, in case I did not mention Bunnytrack enough, Bunnytrack:

Originally posted by Mackan View Post
    Monster Hunt & Bunny Track, they need to be there. Very popular and played still, in UT.
    Originally posted by Egoman View Post
    indeed! bunnytrack was awesome

yet most importantly: Sniper Arena and Instagib (mods)
    Originally posted by Polka View Post
    Totally agree! BT is huge in UT99.

Jailbreak is another gamemode I also would like to see.
    Originally posted by shoCPL View Post
    missing BT and DOM
    Originally posted by velocidad View Post
    Add to the list:

-BT
    -Siege
    Originally posted by tigerclaw View Post
    add in domination and bunnytack

you may not know BT but it's massively popular in UT99

also add TAM for 2K4
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 08-13-2014, 03:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah. Ppl were getting bored with some of those gametypes by the time TAM rolled around. It's also a pretty good chatty-drinky-social game. The ONS clan I was on was fairly competitive, but towards the end of the era of league play (2006), we would practice some or play a match, and then go play TAM and include people from other clans. For some of the members, it was like ONS was getting in the way of TAM, so there's some validity to the point, but like I say, ONS at least had already peaked. (The clan did have some decent TAM teams iirc)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So you don't want to include TAM, because it was more popular than the stock game modes in a late phase of the game's life cycle. You can't prevent TAM from "happening" by simply complaining that is killed other game modes. You will have to analyze why that happened and how it can be prevented.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SnoopDogg View Post
    dont include TAM. it had ruined UT2004 and UT3. its for people who cant learn the game.
    +1. It killed the core gametypes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think these mods are something tha will keep players for 1-2 weeks and they will say good bye. Back in times people didn't have a choice so these game could hold people for longer but now any fps shooter without little bit of depth will just fail in short time. Many people believe that something that workd out years ago will work now. Well we will see, maybe i'm wrong but if UT devs don't show anything new part from graphics then it will be really hard for them to build up community.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How is the ultimate core of DM, TDM, CTF not 100% I will never know. Shame things like TAM and Jailbreak aren't on the list.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    DM
    TDM
    CTF
    vCTF
    Duel
    Warfare
    Greed
    =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really missed Last Man Standing in UT3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Monster Hunt & Bunny Track, they need to be there. Very popular and played still, in UT.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
    My thought is keep it Basic and simple...

CTF, DM, TDM and then either Assault or WAR/ONS

Thats it. "ship" with those modes only and let the community develop the rest. I would love to see DOM, Jailbreak, and CTF4

Simple allows for more players to get involved and the potential for the game to be more populated with players
    and Bombing Run!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post

Thats it. "ship" with those modes only and let the community develop the rest. I would love to see DOM, Jailbreak, and CTF4
    ^^^I tend to agree with this... Keep things simple and concise out of the box. If the players that do try this game are widely fragmented from the outset, it could create the perception that no one is playing.

Also, I would give a slight nod to ONS over WAR... Just my opinion, but I was not a big fan of the way that the orb effected gameplay.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If you got DM there's no real need for Duel.

TDM
    CTF
    + TAM/RocketArena/TLMS/whatever

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My opinion, ship with DM, TDM, CTF, and Warfare. The community will do the rest. By the time all these Modes are added we will have about 20 of them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    CTF is a must! I'd also like to see Bombing run reworked some how to increase popularity.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Simple allows for more players to get involved and the potential for the game to be more populated with players

Leave a comment:

Working...
X