Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    This came up in UT3 and it was probably one of the few really organized community campaigns that (possibly) prevented something from happening. The thing is, putting them together is only hoping that VCTF will get more players in my estimation, but most CTF players don't give two craps about vehicles and won't play those maps. I originally argued for putting them together because it makes sense from a practical perspective, however it doesn't line up with how people play the game and that is flat out more important.
    Pretty much this. I personally love both gametypes on their own, and don't think we should merge them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm sort of in favor of this, as long as there's some kind of sub-gametype ("Ruleset?") way to filter search results. People who want CTF would then be able to search for CTF, while those who want VCTF would be able to get VCTF. Actually I think it would be pretty neat if there were some generalizeable way of filtering and saving filters.

Ex.

Ruleset=(Name=LGI, Settings=(Gamespeed=155,AirControl=55,Gravity=0.5,Mutators=Instagib))

Using this user-defined ruleset you could just pull up all 155/55 low gravity Instagib servers regardless of whether they were playing DM, CTF, whatever.
    Last edited by Wail; 09-01-2014, 03:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can only give my opinion, the UT04 version of VCTF was, trying to think of the best word, non-paced and congested with traffic/vehicle fire, so it really took much of that fluid action and fun away from the regular, foot solider CTF. Personally never got into the vehicle stuff as a veteran of UT when it came out. Hoping that some new modes will be explored or something that tops what is out there today, maybe like what UT did with domination (capture 3-4 points) and then vehicles, something where more than one point has to be taken with vehicles as this got very spammy. Simply did not think the VCTF formula worked too great back then, not sure if it would work in the future. Tried it on some more recent games, was very hard to understand where the flag was or how to assist carriers esp when big maps are involved, sort of deflates the fun as well and this seemed to be the least played mode in current titles (Battlefield comes to mind). Vehicles have to be used very carefully as well, too many, too little, too powerful, ect. I don't find myself in vehicles too often for any shooter I play, would prefer to be on the ground, assuming this is the true desire of your average FPS player, not sure. Also thought the maps got very large in UT04 and there wasn't enough action going on to fill most of them or the levels were too large and hard to keep track of back then, HUD was not detailed enough.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HEDRumple View Post
    Please re-read what I originally posted. If you ONLY have CTF maps on the server it WILL be just CTF. If you put VCTF maps on it will play like VCTF.
    ...so? I'm saying what's the point of merging them together if every server plays them individually? That was brought up when this came up during UT3.

Ultimately it just makes the server browser more confusing. Where right now you can select CTF and be sure there are no goofy vehicle CTF maps, that wouldn't be true anymore.

So what is the impetus for joining them together? What outcome are you hoping to have by making them effectively the same gametype?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Please re-read what I originally posted. If you ONLY have CTF maps on the server it WILL be just CTF. If you put VCTF maps on it will play like VCTF.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This came up in UT3 and it was probably one of the few really organized community campaigns that (possibly) prevented something from happening. The thing is, putting them together is only hoping that VCTF will get more players in my estimation, but most CTF players don't give two craps about vehicles and won't play those maps. I originally argued for putting them together because it makes sense from a practical perspective, however it doesn't line up with how people play the game and that is flat out more important.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Specter_ View Post
    They're meant to be completely separate gametypes. VCTF should have much larger, open maps whereas CTF has more narrow, smaller maps. Playing VCTF on CTF maps would become waaaaaaaaaaay too spammy (like FacingWorlds was made into a VCTF map and it sucked).

Also, a lot of players who like CTF might not like VCTF, or vice versa.
    What this guy said. Two different gametype's which required different types of maps. This was never an issue in UT2004. It's easy enough to use gametype voting in a server that want's to run multiple mod's though, and the system in UT4 to enable those for voting should be slick.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They're meant to be completely separate gametypes. VCTF should have much larger, open maps whereas CTF has more narrow, smaller maps. Playing VCTF on CTF maps would become waaaaaaaaaaay too spammy (like FacingWorlds was made into a VCTF map and it sucked).

Also, a lot of players who like CTF might not like VCTF, or vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Combine CTF & VCTF into one game type

Combine CTF & VCTF into one game type

Combining CTF & VCTF caould be easily done. There is no need for having 2 separate game types. When I re-coded greed for Hedsteem, I got a block of code that checks the map prefix & if it's CTF it takes away the hoverboard & gives the player a translocator. If it's VCTF, it takes the trans away & gives the hoverboard. So if someone wants to run a CTF server just put CTF maps on & no other changes would have to be made. Same for VCTF. This also gives the option to run a CTF & VCTF server & play both styles on one server without having to change the game type. Right now on Hedsteem's VCTF server we have it configured to run both CTF & VCTF maps. It gives the players a variety of maps & play styles to choose from & bring two different types of players together on one server.
Working...
X