Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Parkour" gametype.

Can be called different.

Basically I'd like to have a gametype where you have no weapons, and a map that is, say, a huge (Hall Of Giants like) tube, full of structures that allow you to thoroughly practice the movement, dodging, jumping, combinations, etc. You'd also have "highways" where you can go weeee... I mean, sprint.

There could be compartments with low gravity or altered gravity (walking on walls and ceilings).

Additionally you could include target practicing right that same moment. You have an Enforcer. You cannot shoot other players, but there would be little target plates, that if hit would change colour, or just react otherwise. So you could not only practice parkouring, but also accuracy at the same time.

Why that gametype? There would be no competition, it's just to join the server with other people and have fun parkouring. More importantly you could learn tricks from experienced players and have a conversation about it.

Does sound like bunny track, but it is not quite that. It is not to break your fingers. The obstacles would be tricky, but not insane (although, that depends on the mappers intention). There would be no ending to the map, but getting to the end would reward you with, let's say, a ride in a transparent anti-grav shaft, that would catapult you to the start at insane and exciting speed, you'd look below you and see the parkour range. This shaft would have openings through which you could prematurely escape to not get all the way back to the start.

I'd really love to have this. It's to have fun and practice. I have the outline of that map in my mind, but I'm no map maker. I guess Epic would need to develop their own vision of it.

You're basically describing a multiplayer tutorial or race-map. This could be nice to have and not too affected by latency, so it could be implemented as a "practice" button that takes you to the nearest server running the practice map.
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Kind of, yeah.

Although it would be best if there were just servers. I'm sure enough people would play that, if it's as fun as I envision it. I'd like to meet up with my gamer buddies and have some entertainment when not in the mood for having my butt handed over to me by the UT pros.

Comment

Its called "Trails" on ut2k4. Was great to improve movement. Would be nice to see this kind of gametype in the new ut, too.

Comment

Having a gametype for this isn't even strictly necessary. All that's needed is a map with blueprints like the race map Epic developed.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Basically Bunny Track/Trials/DeFrag for UT4.

It will happen, people are already working on BT maps.

Comment

Good idea and yes, I think you're describing exactly an expanded BunnyTrails / BunnyTrack which I also would like to see become stock gametype or even better embedded adventure/tutorial/fill-up map features in every gametype!
              Although "Parkour" is trendy and would be easier understood by modern gamers, as a UT fan, I prefer the bunny names which existed already before everyone talked about Parkour.

Not only is it a fun and very different gametype (no fighting!), imo it should influence dynamic & beautiful "adventure maps" to fill up servers before certain multiplayer gametypes can be played properly, aswell as "online sp/mp skill tutorials" embedded into competitive maps of any gametype which can teach and challenge to perform all advanced weapon and movement techniques to master UT. Noobs dont work themselves through offline tutorials before they jump into Online play (even if it's right the first entry in the game menu ). They unfortunately also never join BT servers and practice the difficult movement those maps demand. To be fair, BT maps are not self-explanatory, you have to know or try out loooong time how to proceed. For the proper tutorial function there should be hints. You have to give noobs an option to learn important advanced UT skills online and autonomously. With beginners faster climbing the skill curve and a higher average public skill level, the already decent players (who don't need any tutorials) profit from a better gameplay, too.
              Last edited by TheoRiginal; 02-13-2015, 10:50 PM.

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

This is a good idea. It sounds like most of the functionality you are describing already exists in Bunny Trails. For anyone unaware, BT is a gametype where each player goes through a series of movement/aiming obstacles or challenges. Then goal is to complete the course as fast as possible.

I think everything you want could be accomplished in a BT map. You can have different weapons which you can only use for a particular area in a map. Then upon leaving that area you lose it. A lot of maps already have sections which require aiming to hit targets, which temporarily open doors to go through or a similar mechanism. For your map, you could have different rooms with different weapons and various practice targets. It would be cool to have to hit a certain amount of targets before moving on, but you could also just have connected rooms where the player is free to move about them and there is no goal to complete the map.

The hyper-warp travel tube you mentioned sounds awesome, but I think it would limit a lot of maps and be hard to implement. (For example no ceilings across the entire map). I think it would be more functional to incorporate the Warfare node portal. Have one in every room and then let the player select which area of the map they want to go to. You could probably even incorporate some epic room entry animation similar to titans in Titanfall. (not necessary but cool nonetheless)

Originally posted by TheoRiginal View Post
                Good idea and yes, I think you're describing exactly an expanded BunnyTrails / BunnyTrack which I also would like to see become stock gametype or even better embedded adventure/tutorial/fill-up map features in every gametype!
                +1

IIRC a campaign/tourney mode is not something Epic themselves will work on, but I think there should be a tournament mode where a player must complete a few maps from each gametype. I think BT should be included in this, because it is a fun gametype and could be used to teach players how to use each weapon and also each movement mechanic. e.g.: shoot a shock combo and kill the stationary Loque in order to open the door to the next room. Now that I think about it... I might a thread jsut for this idea
                Join us for friendly UT4 Pugs at irc.globalgamers.net #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                  IIRC a campaign/tourney mode is not something Epic themselves will work on, but I think there should be a tournament mode where a player must complete a few maps from each gametype. I think BT should be included in this, because it is a fun gametype and could be used to teach players how to use each weapon and also each movement mechanic. e.g.: shoot a shock combo and kill the stationary Loque in order to open the door to the next room. Now that I think about it... I might a thread jsut for this idea
                  Pretty much what you say but NOT as seperate campaign/instant action/offline gametype, but exactly embedded as side-features into competitive ONLINE maps!
                  Only then everybody will get in touch with tutorials and only then we have "campaign-like adventure maps" that serve as collecting tank for players untill a server is filled enough for the real competitive gametype that can only played upon a certain player amount (like most team gametypes: vCTF, WAR, e.g.).

My views on the new UT in a nutshell │ Social MarketplaceModern UT4 AllNew Dynamic StandardsMore iconic U and the 4 neededUE4 Free - I Epic

Comment

I thought I'd post in this thread regarding BunnyTracks from UT and what would be nice to see/have in UT4. I'm a relatively experienced BT player and mapper, having started in 2009, and have played in and mapped for Clanbase opencups and other competitions. I'll also try and address some things from the other BT thread.

UT tricks. For me, the BT gametype is all about using and combining the movement tricks and skills that we all love so much. If you've played "repetitive" BT maps in the past, then they're badly-made maps. A good map will incorporate timed jump/dodge sequences, target shooting, bounce and air control, moving obstacles... the whole lot.

Mapping creativity. As a mapper, this is the main thing I enjoy. The BT gametype enables you to focus on level design and creating unique experiences. BT maps have included point and click code-entry pads, mover combination locks, some crazy puzzles involving bouncing green blobs, riding crates through flowing lava, and a system where you can "buy" blocks to create a route through the level. In addition to this, because people will often spend quite some time in the various parts of the map, it gives you plenty of incentive to design it nicely (I think the point I want to make here is that in CTF/DM, the flow is most important - in BT, it's still important, but not as important). I took some time to have a good look through the 3 videos posted in the other thread, and I just don't like the maps - because the game speed is so fast, you can't get a realistic environment.

Competitive play. The best BT games are the 2v2 or 3v3 matches that used to be played in competitions. In these, you work together with your team to make a given number of successful runs before the other team. These allow for boosting your team mates and a wider range of skills. There are also a number of 2 or 3 player only maps, in which each player must perform some action or skill in sync with their team in order to pass the rooms. Needless to say, these can be quite difficult, but extremely rewarding!

As of now (Feb 2015), BT is still fairly popular. It'd be fantastic if it were included as a gametype for UT4.

Requests:
                    BT maps would still have to separate the two teams. To this end, mappers have to make two separate areas - the main issue is re-connecting the triggers and events for the second team's section. If this could happen automatically, that'd be super!
                    Checkpoints - all UT BT servers include a checkpoint facility, whereby players can set a checkpoint to try and re-try particular obstacles. This could be built into the gametype, or possibly as a mapping option.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X