Gametype idea, the conveyor or the highway man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gametype idea, the conveyor or the highway man

The idea is to carry an item (can be a flag, a ball or anything) around a linear set of objective level
    People have to carry that item and go under a defined path with mini checkpoints in order to earn points. Of course during the run, there will be the other team that will try to raid the convoy and take the item.
    The respawn system is about, if a player from a team have the flag, every members will respawn not far from him, the others will respawn near the pathway
    The carrier will gain health every time he reaches a mini checkpoint. During the game, there will be supply drops that will appear, be parachuted, brought by drones, whatever, but they will appear from time to time in order to supply the teams.
    The goal is to have a good amount of checkpoints reached by our team and reach the end with it as it multiplies the score which means every part is important.

It reminds me DOOM's Warpath. It could be a fun game mode, but it has to be designed in a lot different way than Blitz.

-Luigi Rapetta
    (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
    Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Is that a mix of assault and onslaught?
      Duel rankings contributor | running Unreal Tournament @ ESL

Comment

Wasteful

I think it's more like Halo's Oddball and DOOM's Warpath: the player constantly moves in the map, there aren't actual bases to capture. Checkpoints should be different in design.

The problem with this gamemode would be that carriers are restricted to just one path, unless there are multiple paths which provide more strategies and gameplay. Choosing which path to take in a crossroads would be interesting.

-Luigi Rapetta
        (rapfamily4)

My projects list:
        Unreal Monsters | Armor Pickups | Dispersion Pistol for Invasion | Fusion Cannon - a Flak Cannon variant

Comment

Nothing impedes improvements towards the concept besides the path system is reminiscent of the maps people will build for it. I mean if you have a fully linear map, then you have only one path, if you have "rollercoaster" with choices then you will have more choices and more than one path, that kind of thing it's only defined by the level design.
          but there is one thing people nailed regarding the idea, it can use assault as a basis. I mean by that that the maps of the assault gametype can be used with tweaking because both gametypes are about going from a point A to B but here the twist is that both teams can swap roles regarding who carries the item.
          I personally didn't knew about those from Doom and Halo, but that's interesting to see that was sort of already done somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
          X