Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CTF - Advantagetime + Possibility of pausing ('The optional halftime')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF - Advantagetime + Possibility of pausing ('The optional halftime')

Hey,

This post is in response to the halftime.
    As many of you, I dont think halftime is a good thing to implement in CTF. It destroys the gameflow completely and doesnt make sense for any symetrical map since there is no benefit for either team. With the implementation of advantagetime I would propose to get completely rid of halftime. In my opinion advantagetime is a very good addition to the CTF gametype.

Advantage Time

Please take a look at the flow chart, I think I dont need to comment further on how I think advantagetime should work. If there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Benefits of advantagetime(from a casual and esports point of view):
    • It allows for clutch situation that esports fans love, everytime a team has to fight against time the adrenaline keeps rushing.
    • It doesnt brake the game in two halves but allows a team that is behind to comeback even though the time is over.

I dont know how current Advantagetime works, but the way I stated in the Flowchart is how i think it could be used as a benefit to both players and viewers/spectators.

Individual pausing(the optional halftime):

Every team has a team captain that is determined by a) highest rank(assuming matchmaking exists) or b)is voted(assuming it’s a competitive game) by the team. The team(captain) has the ability to pause the game for 15seconds per map. (Adding up both pauses from either team results in the same time as halftime). A pause results simply in a freeze of status quo - no reset, no respawn in base or anything.
    The reason why I think a team captain is needed is simply to avoid an abuse of pausing.
    Pausing can be used for several reasons:
    • Short break
    • Rethink a situation
    • If enemy is ahead, purposly disturb their gameflow.(tactical)

The only problem that I see is that it still could be abused by several players. I dont have a sollution for that at the moment... maybe you come up with something great .

What are your opinions on advantagetime and what do you think of replacing halftime with the optionality of pausing the game.

Best regards
    Attached Files
    Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
    Fabian Joosten - composer for media

they had 20min of play already, imnsure they had plently of almost cap flag runs. winning team get punished for soing what they needed to do in those 20min, ppl arnt going to be happy about that. puase will only be used to disrupt, ppl wont like it and youll be called mean names for doing it. positions get reset in ctf and it's done on the fly. having a matchmaking system set a capt. with control over anything could be a negitive. in a pug and past that you have a capt but whoever is best at setting positions against the other team is who defines that. it works becuaae we know who and how ppl play and how to match teams and positions. in a pub ppl don't know eachother that well so its not that effective to assign. pub server regulars again will listen to the best strat.

Comment

You can simplify this a bit by eliminating the aspect of the team in the lead affecting the time by grabbing the losing team's flag.

It seems that the suggestion is that if a team is down by 1 when time runs out they have a 1 minute "Retaliation" period to grab the enemy flag. Once they do this they have 2 minutes max to cap and tie it up, but if the enemy flag is returned at any point the extended time ends.

I'm not sure how this addresses half time itself but what something along these lines could do is essentially lengthen close matches by allowing rebuttal caps, which would allow the base game length to be shortened and perhaps eliminate the need for half time in CTF. Oddly enough beer pong is the only comparison I can think of. Blowout games would end quicker and you'd have the drama of having to shut down the last chance rebuttal. My suggestion would be to only implement this when the go-ahead cap happens within the last minute of regulation. Otherwise it only serves to further incentivize being super defensive once a team has the lead.

There are lots of hard to predict potential ramifications of something like this but I think it'd be worth prototyping and testing, if for no other reason than to see if it helps make CTF less repetitive to watch without necessitating a disruption in game play.
      Last edited by conX5; 09-22-2014, 02:37 PM.

Comment

FYI, something pretty similar to this already exists in the game right now.

The problem I have with advantage time is that you have to post a flow cart to describe how it works.
        BeyondUnreal Podcast
        r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

I actually think it would be best to only start half time the instant both flags are reset after the half time mark. To me this would be the only probable case in which to suddenly disrupt someones game and their team tactics. Does this mean an entire game could be finished without a half-time being triggered? Yes. It would be best to conserve the functionality so if both flags are not returned any time after the half-time mark in the full span of the match, the match is either over or goes into a "sudden death" round. If half-time was triggered and the game end results in a tie, sudden death round as usual.

BTW, my logic here makes that entire convoluted flow chart into a simple 1/0 binary switch case. I've actually been thinking about this for a few days now but haven't got the chance to post my idea. Seems like the right thread to do so.
          Last edited by Quadj130; 09-22-2014, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by conX5 View Post
            You can simplify this a bit by eliminating the aspect of the team in the lead affecting the time by grabbing the losing team's flag.

I'm not sure how this addresses half time itself but....
            You could also do that too, the reason why I wouldnt prefer this option over mine is the fact that the enemy can basically translocate on the your flag base and you have a 90%(?) chance that advantagetime wont be in your favour. Advantagtime should be dangerous situation for the enemy team, but if 5 people of the opponent team just start translocating onto your flagbase its not really a threat imo.

I think the main reason why I think this addresses half time is, that epic wants capture the flag more to be a "sport". By adding "sport"ish elements to the game they hope to make it more competitive. Adding advantage time would give the game a more "sportish" feeling while half time is not really helping anything in the game. Thats why I think adding a "optional" halftime that the teams itself can determine and use is better, and actually, is used in several types of sport too.

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
            FYI, something pretty similar to this already exists in the game right now.

The problem I have with advantage time is that you have to post a flow cart to describe how it works.
            I know that there is something like that implemented, i started thinking about the advantagetime after you mentioned it on your podcast.
            The flowchart is for readability only, if I posted that in a wall of text noone would understand it right away, well, because it is text :P.
            "You get an additional 2minutes to capture, dont drop the flag or the game is over" -> short form without flowchart.
            Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
            Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

I like idea of advantage time. You have my sword
              Unofficial Enforcer Model
              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
              X