CTF Halftime Thoughts and Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF Halftime Thoughts and Opinions

I'm sure everyone reading this has played CTF and has gotten to try out how the game feels with Halftime implemented. I'm curious to see others thoughts and ideas as to what you think about this mechanic and whether or not its something that the community wants in the game. I personally have mixed feelings towards it because I'm old school so I enjoy the constant flow of trying to steal the flag back and forth with uninterrupted momentum start to finish. At the same time knowing I know have one minute left of the first half or game really can get intense and push players to have a really powerful last play to try to tie up or win the game. I like the idea of having a CTF eSport Gametype and a CTF Classic Gametype. What do you all think of the Halftime CTF mechanic? Good or bad?
    Keep Halftime
    13.33%
    Drop Halftime
    37.78%
    Keep a Halftime Option and Classic Option
    48.89%
    Last edited by Spartan A247; 10-12-2014, 12:22 AM.

CTF isn't my main game type. I mostly dislike halftime; it interrupts the gameplay. I think the concept of "real-life" halftime doesn't apply well to a video game. When I experienced it this build I checked the server browser (which was actually kinda nice, but just leads to an opportunity to leave the game - not sure if that's the intended design).

Comment

Get rid of it. The stop in gameplay is disruptive, and ruins the flow of the game. Players become less engaged, and many simply leave after the first half.

I think half time was given a fair chance, but the promised future benefits just aren't worth it.
      BeyondUnreal Podcast
      r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

How long is a typical competitive CTF match? 20 mins? Not a CTF player. Pro Starcraft2 games can go over 40 minutes and there's no half time or any sort of break. If an advertisement interjection is needed, could just have those brand names posted within the map. I have seen some Starcraft pro games and there being PC logo (Intel, Nvidea, or something) right on the map.

Comment

The half in CTF is something completely new and like I fully and because of this, mustn't the half be taken from the CTF matches

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDragon View Post
            How long is a typical competitive CTF match? 20 mins? Not a CTF player. Pro Starcraft2 games can go over 40 minutes and there's no half time or any sort of break.
            CTF in the past has used 20 min maps typically in a best of 3 match format with unlimited Sudden Death Overtime (except in some European leagues where they allowed Draws). I think the key difference is that Starcraft has multiple phases of gameplay that help break up the match with different points of emphasis as things go on. CTF does not have such obvious discrete phases to help vary things, and I worry that 20 minutes becomes repetitive to spectators. I'm not sure this can be solved via presentation alone; I think it will require a change to the structure of matches. Half time is just 1 possible implementation alongside other possibilities that have been discussed.

Either way I don't think it's something that would belong in pubs anyway so I'm not even sure there's really been much significant testing of the idea yet. How many proper CTF PUGs have happened so far?

Comment

Keep it, but only for asymmetric maps.

I agree with most of the negatives posted above, so it should really only be used when necessary.

I voted the 3rd option, even though it doesn't really fit.

Comment

Halftime should be dropped.

Comment

is if the half is removed this is died for me of CTF certain to 100%

Comment

I think half time should be keept as long as it has a use.

Normally, when you play a game of CTF you either have a goal or a time limit, half-time should not interfere with that, if I want to play a 10 minutes CTF I should be able to do so and not getting a break at the 5 minutes mark.

Now in order to get the best of a halftime feature I think it should be like this

1.- it should be treated as rounds, if one team reach the goal (let's say 5 captured flags) the game will start a new round and is the same if the runs out

2.- it should switch team bases, in symetrical maps this dosn't do anything but in asymetrical maps it's a huge difference.

3.- let the players know that they are switching bases at the end of the round (with audio and text display) so they don't drop out.

4.- once the 2 rounds are completed the map could be changed or have a third round to decide the winner team. The best 2 out 3 if you like.

5.- if the game is tied the players could reset and the first team to score win the match (if it's time based) or the players are not reset but the first team to score 2 or 3 points avobe wins the match (again, for time based match, this is to prevent advantage)

6.- a sudden death like feature could work too, all players spawn with a loaded arsenal and the first to score wins.

I don't know if it work like this already, but if it doesn't it should and it could be a mutator that can be used for competition, in that way, people who may not like the halftime are not forced and they can keep playing the CTF game they always loved.
                    Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

From playing it a few times I think it's pretty disruptive towards the way in which CTF has been played for years, the "hardcore" settings if you like of competitive CTF play has always been 20 minutes, no cap limit, best of 3 maps. Having the break in the middle of a map will drag such games out excessively and stop the flow of the game with no real benefit. From experience, the argument that maps that aren't symmetrical and one team gains an advantage is that most of these maps were either converted to be symmetrical (EternalCaves from UT1), or in a competitive game the team that picked that map for their map choice allowed the other team to pick which side they wanted to play. By all means have this as an option for FFA servers but I think it should be removed as a mandatory game type setting as it just isn't feasible across both scenarios.

Comment

I quite like the halftime element. It's a breath of fresh air. However, I WOULD like to see it only in timed games, without score limits. A first-to-three has no real 'half' time, as it could last an hour, it could last ten minutes.

Comment

Half time + team swap allows asymmetrical maps to be fair.

That liberates level designers to make much more interesting things.
                          also known as Humphro

Comment

I think halftime should absolutely be kept. I can't see the point why this would break the game flow in any way. It's just a break of a few seconds to swap sides. I remember a live stream where the developers talked about maybe adding a short pause and reset everything after a point has been scored. That would in fact break the game flow and change the game mode a lot. But in my opinion halftime is okay and brings more advantages than disadvantages.

Of course on symmetrical maps halftime isn't necessary, but it wouldn't hurt that much i think. Asymmetrical maps benefit a lot from halftime and I would love to see more asymmetrical maps, especially in competitive matches. As a spectator I would have more fun watching that instead of symmetrical maps all the time. The game mode would get more of a attacker and defender character on asymmetrical maps. I can understand that some people may not like this, but as I said this can also be very interesting to watch.

The only big negative point I can see is when you're currently carrying the flag and time runs out because of halftime swap. There are two possible solutions: It can either be kept that way and you just say "Well, that's bad luck, but time is up." or the game mode is adjusted so that the halftime is extended as long as there's at least one flag currently carried. So the halftime only ends when both flags are back at their base. This way the teams have a chance to finish their current attack.

In terms of standard time limit per map I think 20 minutes with halftime should work fine. In this case competitive matches with best of three should normally take 40-60 minutes which should be good for players and spectators. The questions is how overtime and sudden death is handled with halftime. For example overtime could be two times five minutes.
                            Last edited by Anduriel; 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM.
                            inUnreal.de - german Unreal Tournament Fansite

Comment

Originally posted by Anduriel View Post
                              or the game mode is adjusted so that the halftime is extended as long as there's at least one flag currently carried. So the halftime only ends when both flags are back at their base. This way the teams have a chance to finish their current attack.
                              This is already the case
                              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Working...
                              X