No announcement yet.

Proposing new game types for UT4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, yeah I definitely missed that, whoops. I still feel like there's a little something missing without there being a variant where the VIP is more maneuverable (faster; higher/longer jumps) but can't attack, so is basically just running from everyone else. I can see this being a KOTH or a MUT variant, either/or. Thoughts?

Comment

Bunny Track or other jumping stuff is all i need

Comment

Originally posted by Leusid View Post
        Nice, yeah I definitely missed that, whoops. I still feel like there's a little something missing without there being a variant where the VIP is more maneuverable (faster; higher/longer jumps) but can't attack, so is basically just running from everyone else. I can see this being a KOTH or a MUT variant, either/or. Thoughts?
        Maybe as an unique mutator for KOTH, where kings can't use guns but have speed and unlimited boot. "Coward Kings mode"? Sounds like it'd work well all variants except Iron Throne.

-Imagine the madness in Chaos Kingdom where the exceed (that entered the Hill after 10 others and can't score yet) hunt down the ninja kings trying to steal their crown.
        -It already matches perfectly with King's Crown, as stated by your suggestion. But then it'd like a lot more like Halo's Oddball than I was trying to avoid.
        -It'd be like playing tag to use it in Kings' Fall. The Kings just have to run from the other team, trying to keep at least one alive to keep scoring.

Comment

Headhunter: Exactly like Kill Confirmed suggested in the first post, except with heads instead of dog tags, because that's just more satisfying. Also, maybe when you die, you drop all your heads and they can be picked up again.

Other random ideas...

Rock Paper Scissors: Three teams, each of which can kill only one of the other two teams, and can be killed only by the remaining team. AKA, red team can only kill green team, green team can only kill blue team, blue team can only kill red team. So you have to avoid one team, and hunt the other.

Feeding Frenzy: You can only kill people who are "smaller," than you, making you bigger. Maybe being bigger makes you move slower? Also, there should be pickups around the map to allow small fresh-spawns to gain size.

That last idea sounds maybe not very feasible... But, kind of inspired by that, what about this:

Raw Damage: You can gain unlimited health based on how much damage you do. The more health you have, the more... Benefits/drawbacks there are.

Sorry, just realized I have to go right now, can't really flesh these ideas out more yet. But I'll post it up to see if it inspires anyone in the meantime.

Comment

If it makes you feel better OP, I love zombie survival.
            Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Graffiti: There are lots of points to capture all over the map. You capture the point simply by being the most recent player to touch it. Whichever player/team has the most points at the end of a time limit wins.

I'm imagining people trying to find paths that will get them around the map as quickly and efficiently as possible, and practicing those runs, trying to kill others and disrupt their course. Might be a fun objective-based way to learn maps well, although I'm sure maps could also be made specifically for this game type.

Comment

Headhunter: Exactly like Kill Confirmed suggested in the first post, except with heads instead of dog tags, because that's just more satisfying. Also, maybe when you die, you drop all your heads and they can be picked up again.

Other random ideas...

Rock Paper Scissors: Three teams, each of which can kill only one of the other two teams, and can be killed only by the remaining team. AKA, red team can only kill green team, green team can only kill blue team, blue team can only kill red team. So you have to avoid one team, and hunt the other.

Feeding Frenzy: You can only kill people who are "smaller," than you, making you bigger. Maybe being bigger makes you move slower? Also, there should be pickups around the map to allow small fresh-spawns to gain size.

That last idea sounds maybe not very feasible... But, kind of inspired by that, what about this:

Raw Damage: You can gain unlimited health based on how much damage you do. The more health you have, the more... Benefits/drawbacks there are.
                Graffiti: There are lots of points to capture all over the map. You capture the point simply by being the most recent player to touch it. Whichever player/team has the most points at the end of a time limit wins.

I'm imagining people trying to find paths that will get them around the map as quickly and efficiently as possible, and practicing those runs, trying to kill others and disrupt their course. Might be a fun objective-based way to learn maps well, although I'm sure maps could also be made specifically for this game type.
                Headhunter: I don't think it'd work in a game where only two weapons (one of them isn't even official) can do headshots. Also, in Kill Confirmed, you don't keep your tags, you instantly score them, so I don't know how Headhunter would work.

Rock Paper Scissors: I like it! If multi-team DM happens, then I'll totally support this too.

Feeding Frenzy: Agario, huh? There's a way it can work. Given UT's dynamic nature, using every mechanic in Agario wouldn't work. But we could make it like this:
                -Initial Mass = 0
                -Health and Ammo pickups = 1 mass
                -Weapon and Armor pickups = 2 mass
                -UDamage, Shield Belt, Big Keg O'Health, Jump Boots, Redeemer, Invisibility, Berserk = 5 mass
                -Kill an opponent = take all his/her mass
                -You can kill any opponent independent of mass, but:
                --0~4 Mass Difference = Equal damage
                --5~9 MD = You do 2x damage, and take half from the enemy
                --10~14 MD = 3x damage, take a third from the enemy
                --And so on...
                -Whenever a bigger enemy is in the vicinity, you get a temporary speed boost.
                -If you have enough mass to sacrifice, there are some red skulls on the map you pickup and carry around until you can throw it at a bigger enemy. If it hits, a large part of his/her mass will drop in the form of skulls that he/she can't pick up. Whether it hits or misses, you still lose mass when you throw it.

Raw Damage: Basically a Vampire Mode, huh? I can see it working as a mutator, but the unlimited health would make it chaotic after a few respawns. Do the math, for every respawn, 100 HP are added to the fight. Maybe limiting the overheal to 199 HP, and cut the Healed HP to half of the Dealt Damage.

Another nice addition would be a Bloodlust gauge, that fills whenever you deal damage (self-damage obviously not included), and decreases when you're not fighting. When it hits max, you get any Adrenaline Combo.

Graffiti: I love this idea, but I'd like to make a few suggestions:
                -Make it team only. The amount of control points I'm picturing is too much for one player to manage in a free-for-all game
                -Instead of one long round per match, make it have lots of short rounds. It'll keep the focus on quickly attacking and conquering the map rather than defending the points you already have.
                -I don't know if it can be done outside of CTF or BR, but it'd be awesome to have team respawns in this. The way you're picturing it, it's the best approach as people would start speedrunning from a fixed place, not a random one. And it's double the challenge, as there'd be Red and Blue "routes".

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, PrimeIcarian. Glad to hear my ideas have merit to some. I'd like to respond to a few of your points of feedback.

Originally posted by PrimeIcarian View Post
                  Headhunter: I don't think it'd work in a game where only two weapons (one of them isn't even official) can do headshots. Also, in Kill Confirmed, you don't keep your tags, you instantly score them, so I don't know how Headhunter would work.
                  I guess Headhunter wouldn't be exactly the same as Kill Confirmed, then. First off, in Headhunter, EVERY kill would cause a head to be dropped, no matter what weapon is used. You collect a head by touching it, and then you hold onto it. When you are killed, your own head plus the heads in your collection spill out to be recollected. The victory condition would either be most heads held at the end of a time limit, or a target number of heads collected.

Rock Paper Scissors: I like it! If multi-team DM happens, then I'll totally support this too.
                  Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Feeding Frenzy: Agario, huh? There's a way it can work. Given UT's dynamic nature, using every mechanic in Agario wouldn't work. But we could make it like this:
                  -Initial Mass = 0
                  -Health and Ammo pickups = 1 mass
                  -Weapon and Armor pickups = 2 mass
                  -UDamage, Shield Belt, Big Keg O'Health, Jump Boots, Redeemer, Invisibility, Berserk = 5 mass
                  -Kill an opponent = take all his/her mass
                  -You can kill any opponent independent of mass, but:
                  --0~4 Mass Difference = Equal damage
                  --5~9 MD = You do 2x damage, and take half from the enemy
                  --10~14 MD = 3x damage, take a third from the enemy
                  --And so on...
                  -Whenever a bigger enemy is in the vicinity, you get a temporary speed boost.
                  -If you have enough mass to sacrifice, there are some red skulls on the map you pickup and carry around until you can throw it at a bigger enemy. If it hits, a large part of his/her mass will drop in the form of skulls that he/she can't pick up. Whether it hits or misses, you still lose mass when you throw it.
                  Haha yeah, Agario. I like a lot of these ideas. If this game mode becomes a reality, seems like there's a lot of fine-tuning that will need to be done, which is pretty much what I imagined.

I like the idea of damage scaling for mass difference. Would it be reasonable to do it on a sliding scale? So like, the damage you do to them is scaled by [(mass/5)/(other.mass/5)] and therefore the damage they do to you is scaled by the reciprocal of that?

As far as the speed boost goes, are you imagining something like... There is a constant value by which any player's speed will be increased if there is another player "nearby" (within a constant range) who is "bigger" (past a constant threshold compared to player's mass)... That's a really confusing sentence to write... But basically, I'm wondering if the speed change could also feasibly be a on a sliding scale?

The red skulls idea is unique, I'd be interested to see how it plays out. My questions are... Does picking up a red skull give you mass? What would be the purpose of the red skulls dropped by the bigger player? Just more ammo to throw at bigger players?

Also, what would the victory condition be? I'm imagining either most mass at the end of a time limit, or target mass achieved.

Raw Damage: Basically a Vampire Mode, huh? I can see it working as a mutator, but the unlimited health would make it chaotic after a few respawns. Do the math, for every respawn, 100 HP are added to the fight. Maybe limiting the overheal to 199 HP, and cut the Healed HP to half of the Dealt Damage.

Another nice addition would be a Bloodlust gauge, that fills whenever you deal damage (self-damage obviously not included), and decreases when you're not fighting. When it hits max, you get any Adrenaline Combo.
                  Yeah, the "Raw Damage" idea that I posted was really not what I was imagining, I just had to cut my post short unfortunately. But I really like the Bloodlust gauge idea, in fact, Bloodlust would probably be a much better title.

As far as the health cap... Well, it's going to become obvious that I like spectrums/sliding scales, but how about something like this: Every time you deal damage, you gain (damage/currentHealth) in health and bloodlust. This way, players who are near death will reheal and max out their bloodlust gauges much more quickly, and have a chance to redeem themselves. And players who have a lot of health would not be able to keep gaining health infinitely at any sort of reasonable rate.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the vampire and bloodlust ideas should also probably be two separate mutators, if we're going to do it that way, for versatility's sake. But I like how they work together.

Graffiti: I love this idea, but I'd like to make a few suggestions:
                  -Make it team only. The amount of control points I'm picturing is too much for one player to manage in a free-for-all game
                  -Instead of one long round per match, make it have lots of short rounds. It'll keep the focus on quickly attacking and conquering the map rather than defending the points you already have.
                  -I don't know if it can be done outside of CTF or BR, but it'd be awesome to have team respawns in this. The way you're picturing it, it's the best approach as people would start speedrunning from a fixed place, not a random one. And it's double the challenge, as there'd be Red and Blue "routes".
                  I'm glad to hear you like this one so much I was definitely imagining it with short rounds. Hanging around to defend a couple of points would probably never be a priority, as you're going to lose more of your other ones by staying in one spot.

It certainly would be tough for one player to manage, but in FFA, all players would be in that same tough-to-manage boat, so I think it could still be fair. As long as you manage to hold at least one more control point than any of the others by round's end, that's all you need. That said, I agree that teams would probably be the way most people would want to do it.

And the red/blue routes is definitely an interesting idea, I'd love to see it.
                  Last edited by Leusid; 07-01-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I guess Headhunter wouldn't be exactly the same as Kill Confirmed, then. First off, in Headhunter, EVERY kill would cause a head to be dropped, no matter what weapon is used. You collect a head by touching it, and then you hold onto it. When you are killed, your own head plus the heads in your collection spill out to be recollected. The victory condition would either be most heads held at the end of a time limit, or a target number of heads collected.
                    Ooh, I get it now. Yeah, it sounds like a good idea, too!

I like the idea of damage scaling for mass difference. Would it be reasonable to do it on a sliding scale? So like, the damage you do to them is scaled by [(mass/5)/(other.mass/5)] and therefore the damage they do to you is scaled by the reciprocal of that?
                    Yeah, it sounds like a better approach.

As far as the speed boost goes, are you imagining something like... There is a constant value by which any player's speed will be increased if there is another player "nearby" (within a constant range) who is "bigger" (past a constant threshold compared to player's mass)... That's a really confusing sentence to write... But basically, I'm wondering if the speed change could also feasibly be a on a sliding scale?
                    I don't think so, speed up enough and all movement becomes unmanageable. I thought that too, but I think it's the best to have only one speed multiplier.

The red skulls idea is unique, I'd be interested to see how it plays out. My questions are... Does picking up a red skull give you mass? What would be the purpose of the red skulls dropped by the bigger player? Just more ammo to throw at bigger players?
                    I actually based the red skulls on Agario's viruses (spiky green balls). The skulls dropped by the bigger player are white and represent the mass he/she lost. Like in Agario, they're there to be swallowed by the other players.

As in Agario, you have to feed the virus with your own mass for it to duplicate, in UT you'd sacrifice your own mass to be able to throw the red skull.

Also, what would the victory condition be? I'm imagining either most mass at the end of a time limit, or target mass achieved.
                    I was thinking of these ones exactly.

As far as the health cap... Well, it's going to become obvious that I like spectrums/sliding scales, but how about something like this: Every time you deal damage, you gain (damage/currentHealth) in health and bloodlust. This way, players who are near death will reheal and max out their bloodlust gauges much more quickly, and have a chance to redeem themselves. And players who have a lot of health would not be able to keep gaining health infinitely at any sort of reasonable rate.
                    Again, sounds like a better approach. More balanced, and incentives players low on health not to give up their last HP.

It certainly would be tough for one player to manage, but in FFA, all players would be in that same tough-to-manage boat, so I think it could still be fair. As long as you manage to hold at least one more control point than any of the others by round's end, that's all you need. That said, I agree that teams would probably be the way most people would want to do it.
                    Yeah, I know it's hard for everyone, but it just doesn't seem right for this gamemode. It relies too much on luck rather than individual skill, luck that you'll respawn in a good place to start speedrunning the points, luck that some random guy won't take your last point when you leave it to secure another one. I'm sure the best decision is to keep it team-only.

Comment

Onslaught was a popular one, Even i liked it with the red and blue cores and I hope they place Onslaught in the new game.

Comment

Originally posted by *Hunter* View Post
                        Onslaught was a popular one, Even i liked it with the red and blue cores and I hope they place Onslaught in the new game.
                        They will for sure, don't worry.

But this thread is only for suggesting gametypes never seen before in UT

Comment

Originally posted by Wishful Thinking! View Post
                          nothing with zombies.
                          /end
                          Sounds like a poor mans invasion. Though it could be revamped a bit.

Comment

I think you should have made a poll where one can vote for 3 of those game modes in OP, so that we would see which idea is most appealing to community.

About RenX-like game mode, I already made a thread for ideas and discussion about something similar:
                            https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...-RTS-game-mode

I think that "Conquest" could be used as name, but AFAIK that's how battlefield's main mode is called, and that would be a bit misleading, since game modes either you described or I described in linked thread don't play exactly like BF's conquest.
                            I would much rather see the name that takes a jab at C&C, something like "Construct & Control".
                            Last edited by Testman42; 03-30-2016, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X