I have to say we need GREED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say we need GREED

At the risk of alienating those who think UT3 wasn't the best, I think the GREED game type is hugely fun and would like to see it in the new UT.

When taken in total, the history of UT has provided some amazingly fun game modes. I think it's going to be pretty hard to cram all of the favorites into one game. But I am hopeful.

It's not impossible, there are only 25 gametypes across the unreal franchise.... oh, wait... well, greed is fun and it uses ctf maps, so the only thing it's necessary is a mod that change the flags for that greed thing that I don't remember what is called. If someone did it for UT2004, someone can make it for UT4
    Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

Thumbs up for Greed! Definitely the most fun gametype from UT3 alongside vCTF. It's also a pretty intuitive one. Reminded me of Q3TA's Harvester, but IMHO Greed is better if only because you don't need to a certain area to collect skulls, they drop from dead enemies.

The original creator of the mod (Mysterial) is even one of Epic's employees AFAIC.
      Unreal Wiki - Collecting Unreal lore, one article at a time.
      "The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000. (Where good means 'helps advancing the art')" - Fast Eddie, TVTropes

Comment

Greed will be easy, they won't bother with it because it just uses CTF and VCTF maps, it's almost a mutator.

As in, someone from the community will make it easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon_Knight View Post
          Thumbs up for Greed! Definitely the most fun gametype from UT3 alongside vCTF. It's also a pretty intuitive one. Reminded me of Q3TA's Harvester, but IMHO Greed is better if only because you don't need to a certain area to collect skulls, they drop from dead enemies.
          100% agree on this. Greed was great fun and needs to be in UT4.

Comment

Greed was one of my favorite additions to UT3 and it was an excellent bridge gametype, which is why it should be considered as an official gametype in the future.

In UT I usually like to play (T)DM and rarely ever CTF. I'm not a big CTF fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed Greed, it offers a nice middle point between TDM and CTF. CTF tends to be either very stressful or very campy, depending on what role you fulfill, but Greed offered a really nice flow, where it never goes into extremes for yourself, but still gives you this adrenaline rush, when you score lots of skulls at once.

And it suddenly opened up a whole new world of lots of great CTF maps, which I never really had played before. That had been somewhat of a shame, because those maps usually make up a great portion of the game, and UT3 was the first UT, where I thoroughly played all CTF maps. And there's also the chance that TDM players might become more interested in CTF by playing Greed. It kind of bridges between the two gametypes. I know that there are some people, who worry that too many gametypes will only split the community, but I view Greed as a gametype, which potentially brings two different communities together.

(The only problem was the lack of Translocator and that's not so easy to fix. Either you can't use the Xloc when carrying skulls, which will be unintuitive, or it lets you drops your skulls, which result in different issues. I really liked how in Greed you couldn't really base camp for long, because you're just an easy prize, when you walk around with skulls in your base. It forces you to move. But I guess that's a discussion for later.)
            Last edited by TourianTourist; 03-10-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Greed was really funny (but don't set Titans please :P ) so for me it is absolutely ok.

Comment

Originally posted by FrigginWorthles View Post
                At the risk of alienating those who think UT3 wasn't the best, I think the GREED game type is hugely fun and would like to see it in the new UT.
                definitely agree, and there are some really nice tactics that can be used in this game mode :-)
                WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
                Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

Greed and Betrayal should be in. Fun modes.

Comment

Too many game modes does cause segregation, but I feel like no game had gotten organization down better than halo and their playlists. The basic game modes were 4, but there were so many subdivisional mutators.

So if you joined "The Rumble Pit" playlist you'd get FFA and any of these mutators could be voted on;

Slayer
                    Slayer BRs
                    Swords
                    Juggernaut
                    Oddball
                    Crazy King
                    Ninjaball
                    Mosh Pit
                    Braaains
                    Save One Bullet
                    Slayer Pro
                    Crazy King Pro
                    Slayer DMRs
                    Elite Slayer
                    Headhunter [Halo's version of Instagib, 1 shot kills, headshots only though since the game was really slow compared to UT]

Each and everyone could **** near be considered it's own game mode. You never had a problem finding a match for any given mode inside a playlist, and joining a playlist meant that at the rounds end, the next game mode/map was voted on by everyone in the game, so this kept the variety whilst also allowing you to not segregate too hard.

Greed is like a Mutator for CTF, like Oddball is a mutator for FFA in Halo.

I think the playlists are a better system than hubs, hubs can be anything, but playlists could be a way to filter hubs by rule set.

The ones that got the least amount of play would eventually be dumped out of the playlist rotation, but were still in the game for custom games. They also had the best custom game system I've ever seen to this date, you could change all the rules and make your own game modes through the U.I. save them and play them publicly on the internet without the need to download or upload anything to anybody.

In other words, Playlists were kind of like hubs, just done better.

I think the only game modes should be

FFA
                    TDM
                    CTF
                    Assault

And any other game types should be subdivisions of those existing game types. So greed would be a mutator for CTF, Instagib is a mutator for FFA/TDM/CTF, while freezetag is a mutator for TDM.

Could also bring back other things like Titans and put them into FFA, and make it like juggernaut. Only one person can be titan, kill the titan to become the titan, only kills as the titan or killing the titan count towards your score and so on.

They don't have to be their own modes though, but since there is currently no voting, no lobbies, I don't really see how this could work unless that when a match ends in the hub, everyone returns to the hub to vote on the next match.

But then you'd need playlists to filter the hubs so you can join a hub based on what you're trying to play specifically.

Griffball was also a playlist, and that was essentially Halo's version of Bombing Run. Bombing Run should come back too, but not as an official mode, but as a mutated sub division.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you look at games like Tribes/Quake/Unreal and look at the game modes, it's absolutely true that the games with more gamemodes segregated their players, but if you looked at Halo Reach, it had 3x or 4x more "modes" but had healthy populations in all of them -- this was because of the playlist system surely.
                    Last edited by Laokin; 03-13-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Greed was fun. So make it
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

I say scrap DM, TDM, CTF and make one game mode that is fun, competitive, team oriented and addicting then branch out from there. No point in making more if you can't make at least one that is good. Making all these maps and game modes that's just going to segregate the population is a waste of resources when there is no official game to be played.
                        [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                        [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Originally posted by Esula View Post
                          I say scrap DM, TDM, CTF and make one game mode that is fun, competitive, team oriented and addicting then branch out from there. No point in making more if you can't make at least one that is good. Making all these maps and game modes that's just going to segregate the population is a waste of resources when there is no official game to be played.
                          Since we're in the Greed thread, I suppose this one gametype should be Greed, right...? I mean, it's a great choice. It combines TDM and CTF, feels somewhat similar to BR and also offers the option for vehicular combat. There's something for everyone. So, let's make UT4 Greed based...

But there are actual topics about the segregation issue, like this one. Requests for old gametypes to return are valid and we shouldn't make all these discussions about the total number of gametypes...
                          Last edited by TourianTourist; 03-14-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I personally didn't enjoy Greed, but it was arguably the most popular and active gametype in UT3. I think it would be a solid addition to the game, as it would attract a lot of payers. The community is most likely going to have to create it, but as others have stated you could leverage the existing CTF classes.
                            Join us for friendly UT4 Pugs at irc.globalgamers.net #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by Laokin View Post
                              Too many game modes does cause segregation, but I feel like no game had gotten organization down better than halo and their playlists. The basic game modes were 4, but there were so many subdivisional mutators.

So if you joined "The Rumble Pit" playlist you'd get FFA and any of these mutators could be voted on;

Slayer
                              Slayer BRs
                              Swords
                              Juggernaut
                              Oddball
                              Crazy King
                              Ninjaball
                              Mosh Pit
                              Braaains
                              Save One Bullet
                              Slayer Pro
                              Crazy King Pro
                              Slayer DMRs
                              Elite Slayer
                              Headhunter [Halo's version of Instagib, 1 shot kills, headshots only though since the game was really slow compared to UT]

Each and everyone could **** near be considered it's own game mode. You never had a problem finding a match for any given mode inside a playlist, and joining a playlist meant that at the rounds end, the next game mode/map was voted on by everyone in the game, so this kept the variety whilst also allowing you to not segregate too hard.

Greed is like a Mutator for CTF, like Oddball is a mutator for FFA in Halo.

I think the playlists are a better system than hubs, hubs can be anything, but playlists could be a way to filter hubs by rule set.

The ones that got the least amount of play would eventually be dumped out of the playlist rotation, but were still in the game for custom games. They also had the best custom game system I've ever seen to this date, you could change all the rules and make your own game modes through the U.I. save them and play them publicly on the internet without the need to download or upload anything to anybody.

In other words, Playlists were kind of like hubs, just done better.

I think the only game modes should be

FFA
                              TDM
                              CTF
                              Assault

And any other game types should be subdivisions of those existing game types. So greed would be a mutator for CTF, Instagib is a mutator for FFA/TDM/CTF, while freezetag is a mutator for TDM.

Could also bring back other things like Titans and put them into FFA, and make it like juggernaut. Only one person can be titan, kill the titan to become the titan, only kills as the titan or killing the titan count towards your score and so on.

They don't have to be their own modes though, but since there is currently no voting, no lobbies, I don't really see how this could work unless that when a match ends in the hub, everyone returns to the hub to vote on the next match.

But then you'd need playlists to filter the hubs so you can join a hub based on what you're trying to play specifically.

Griffball was also a playlist, and that was essentially Halo's version of Bombing Run. Bombing Run should come back too, but not as an official mode, but as a mutated sub division.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you look at games like Tribes/Quake/Unreal and look at the game modes, it's absolutely true that the games with more gamemodes segregated their players, but if you looked at Halo Reach, it had 3x or 4x more "modes" but had healthy populations in all of them -- this was because of the playlist system surely.
                              Wow, that is a lot of text and conclusions based on opinion and assumptions. I've been playing unreal since the start.. never left... and gametypes, and other diverse offerings are what kept me interested.
                              Last edited by UffDa; 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot quote
                              -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
                              BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Comment

Working...
                              X