Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by FrigginWorthles View Post
    At the risk of alienating those who think UT3 wasn't the best, I think the GREED game type is hugely fun and would like to see it in the new UT.

When taken in total, the history of UT has provided some amazingly fun game modes. I think it's going to be pretty hard to cram all of the favorites into one game. But I am hopeful.
    Greed is a blast. I love CTF but to me in terms of team based game play? It's more fun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Specter_ View Post
    If we're gonna get Greed, then we also certainly need VCTF :P

Remember, all the Greed maps were the same as the VCTF ones.
    Greed supported both CTF and VCTF maps. So, VCTF isn't required for Greed, you can just play it on the normal CTF maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Greedy!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1 for Greed, loved that game type

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If we're gonna get Greed, then we also certainly need VCTF :P

Remember, all the Greed maps were the same as the VCTF ones.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If we have to do this gametype by ourself, we should also implement a penalty when a player suicide with a huge amount of skulls instead of taking the risk to leave them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    At the risk of alienating those who think UT3 wasn't the best, I think the GREED game type is hugely fun and would like to see it in the new UT.
    Originally posted by Neon_Knight View Post
    Thumbs up for Greed! Definitely the most fun gametype from UT3 alongside vCTF. It's also a pretty intuitive one. [...] you don't need to a certain area to collect skulls, they drop from dead enemies.
    Absolutely, it's such a funny gamemode and can be quite tactical (skull collecting etc...)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Totally agree that Greed is needed, and I think should be more than a mutator. There were somethings about Greed in UT3 that need to be tweaked etc.. (Vehicles on cap, I'm looking at you!) I've actually thought about this quite a bit, but there is one thing I haven't really gotten a great solution for yet.

Many disliked the gametype solely because of the Titan. I can understand it, but they did provide one function to the game that really made a match intriguing: lots more skulls. Things got intense when there was someone running around with 50 of them.

So how does one get around this? The idea I came up with essentially had players dropping more than 1 skull upon death, and maybe giving the pickups inherent skulls so that when the pickup was taken, the player also got skulls.

I had also given thought to coding this, but don't really know where to start. I coded in college, but that's a loooong *** time ago lol.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Flame_Prince View Post
    I liked greed, however I think the introduction of Titan to the game mode ruined it
    While the Titan is a bit overpowered, I still like the idea of bringing some "powerup" beast of some sort but it should be within reason, bersersk/amp ability with instant homeing rockets or berserk shock rifle coupled with that much HP is a bad idea.

It made it a bit more tactical when the titans would lead the way for the guys with lots of skulls. I didn't like that powerful titans but I like the idea if it was made less powerful than that so it's just more of a subtle powerup.

In Warfare the UT3 titans also clearly were too powerful and one Titan would easily take over a node and 2-3 titans could disable the whole team pretty much. In 12v12 (or higher) that would always lead to Titan rampagefest at some point in the round and it shouldn't resolve really that much over who gets the titan pwnage at a suitable time.
    Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 04-07-2015, 02:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I liked greed, however I think the introduction of Titan to the game mode ruined it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    But wait, isn't CTF a mutator of GREED?

In my opinion far more fun than the over-requested BombingRun.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT4 (aka UT Monster)

You guys are thinking waaaay to small. We need this to be a monster. We need people interested in remaking any / all of the old gametypes that they are passionate about... and we need people interested in making brand new gametypes. UT should be that monster. <drops mic on stage>

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Acedozin
    I like this idea. But don't forget Onslaught/Warfare!
    And Bombing Run, Last Man Standing, and Mutant... and LOL

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Laokin View Post
    Too many game modes does cause segregation, but I feel like no game had gotten organization down better than halo and their playlists. The basic game modes were 4, but there were so many subdivisional mutators.

So if you joined "The Rumble Pit" playlist you'd get FFA and any of these mutators could be voted on;

Slayer
    Slayer BRs
    Swords
    Juggernaut
    Oddball
    Crazy King
    Ninjaball
    Mosh Pit
    Braaains
    Save One Bullet
    Slayer Pro
    Crazy King Pro
    Slayer DMRs
    Elite Slayer
    Headhunter [Halo's version of Instagib, 1 shot kills, headshots only though since the game was really slow compared to UT]

Each and everyone could **** near be considered it's own game mode. You never had a problem finding a match for any given mode inside a playlist, and joining a playlist meant that at the rounds end, the next game mode/map was voted on by everyone in the game, so this kept the variety whilst also allowing you to not segregate too hard.

Greed is like a Mutator for CTF, like Oddball is a mutator for FFA in Halo.

I think the playlists are a better system than hubs, hubs can be anything, but playlists could be a way to filter hubs by rule set.

The ones that got the least amount of play would eventually be dumped out of the playlist rotation, but were still in the game for custom games. They also had the best custom game system I've ever seen to this date, you could change all the rules and make your own game modes through the U.I. save them and play them publicly on the internet without the need to download or upload anything to anybody.

In other words, Playlists were kind of like hubs, just done better.

I think the only game modes should be

FFA
    TDM
    CTF
    Assault

And any other game types should be subdivisions of those existing game types. So greed would be a mutator for CTF, Instagib is a mutator for FFA/TDM/CTF, while freezetag is a mutator for TDM.

Could also bring back other things like Titans and put them into FFA, and make it like juggernaut. Only one person can be titan, kill the titan to become the titan, only kills as the titan or killing the titan count towards your score and so on.

They don't have to be their own modes though, but since there is currently no voting, no lobbies, I don't really see how this could work unless that when a match ends in the hub, everyone returns to the hub to vote on the next match.

But then you'd need playlists to filter the hubs so you can join a hub based on what you're trying to play specifically.

Griffball was also a playlist, and that was essentially Halo's version of Bombing Run. Bombing Run should come back too, but not as an official mode, but as a mutated sub division.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you look at games like Tribes/Quake/Unreal and look at the game modes, it's absolutely true that the games with more gamemodes segregated their players, but if you looked at Halo Reach, it had 3x or 4x more "modes" but had healthy populations in all of them -- this was because of the playlist system surely.
    Wow, that is a lot of text and conclusions based on opinion and assumptions. I've been playing unreal since the start.. never left... and gametypes, and other diverse offerings are what kept me interested.
    Last edited by UffDa; 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I personally didn't enjoy Greed, but it was arguably the most popular and active gametype in UT3. I think it would be a solid addition to the game, as it would attract a lot of payers. The community is most likely going to have to create it, but as others have stated you could leverage the existing CTF classes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X