ONS/Warfare/Assault movement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wail View Post
    It's funny because if you asked me whether I liked UT2004 ONS when I first started playing, I'd probably tell you how clumsy I thought the vehicle controls were and how poorly balanced as a gametype it was. But regardless of all of that it was fun.
    UT3 on the other hand, I just have memories of random deaths that basically felt cheap and unavoidable, or being annoyed because the entire map balance would swing against my team in a second since all it took was one guy sneaking in with the orb.
    Part of that is definitely that I got acclimated to UT2004 gameplay and had expectations of how it should work, but really, UT2004's balance just felt more like, "Hey, you're playing UT - With all this extra stuff!" Over-reliance on the AVRiL and various other factors in UT3, like ragdolling off the board, coupled with the weird peaks and valleys in lethality made it just feel like a different genre of shooter.
    I can sympathize with that, I think. Neither game really hit that sweet spot with vehicles that I would have hoped it would. The ob, for example, mixes up the dynamic a lot but there are so few ways to defend against it. One of them (turrets) is really nerfed. I think they could have done more/better with turrets in UT3.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
      I can sympathize with that, I think. Neither game really hit that sweet spot with vehicles that I would have hoped it would. The ob, for example, mixes up the dynamic a lot but there are so few ways to defend against it. One of them (turrets) is really nerfed. I think they could have done more/better with turrets in UT3.
      Some of the new turrets in UT3 were interesting, and the addition of rails made turrets at least a bit more survivable. One of their big problems was the buggy-mismatch between where you aimed and where they fired.
      I do have some strong memories of getting repeat Monster Kills with some of the rocket turrets, although mostly against footsoldiers, which I'd argue in general is the exact opposite of what you'd want turrets to be doing in the game. It's a systemic problem since amping up speed and damage on Turrets to make them appropriately lethal against vehicles has even more punitive effects against guys who come in on foot, unless you specifically make every turret AVRiL-like. In this respect the problem with turrets isn't anything unique to turrets but a problem with the overall balance of vehicles in UT.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

sigh.

Bias is rampant
        ignorance spectacular
        judgement flows freely.

I am dismayed at how difficult it is to constructively discuss topics about UT2/ONS + UT3/WAR here.

So rarely does any criticism (of either game) bear any sign of the critic first having stopped and thought, "What about X might I not have learned yet?" … or just as well, "Could someone else have already mastered Y, in a way that hadn't occurred to me or that I'd thought was not possible?"

Rather, the critiques here tend to read as, quite simply, demonstrations of whether the critic has or has not yet developed a particular skill.

This leaves me to wonder:

Is it possible to interpret such critiques, when they are presented, not as mere displays of ignorance to be discarded, but rather as an indicator suggesting that there exists a need to ease some particular learning curve in the game?

Is it then possible for those who may have a less-than-complete knowledge of either game, and yet still do weigh in on element Z of that game, to both know with certainty that their opinion is indeed valuable, but also honestly appreciate the limits of that opinion's actual worth?

And more generally — how do we, collectively, apply all the amassed knowledge of UT2/ONS and UT3/WAR in the discussions here, so that each person is actually contributing to the task of improving whatever UT4's version of ONS/WAR will be?

I ask for as much reflection as answers to these questions … but graciously invite either.

cheerio node homies

Originally posted by ctr2yellowbird View Post
        Against my better judgement, I'll try responding …
        I can add tons more, which is what I was worried about …
        Why am I continuing …
        I have to resist the temptation to …

… Post got too long
        That relatable, palpable frustration.

sighagain

Comment

I haven't played ONS much, so i can't say anything about the gameplay or movement. Put vehicles in If You want....

....but please leave Assault vehicleless, like it is in ut99.

Assault is much more fun fighting face To Face for an objective.
          UT4 ASSAULT - Server Admin | Community Admin
          UT4ASSAULT.COM

Forum Thread | UTA Discord | UTA Facebook
          UTA Steam Group | Email me

Comment

Working...
          X