Gametype: 3-Way CTF (3CTF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gametype: 3-Way CTF (3CTF)

It's very much like CTF with a couple of changes...

01 - It has 3 teams and 3 flags as you might have guessed.
    02 - There are multiple ways to gain a point but they all involve capturing an enemy flag.
    03 - You can REMOVE POINTS FROM ENEMY TEAMS.
    04 - Maps have a special delivery point (in the middle of the map) where you can deliver enemy flags which give you a point.
    05 - Alternatively, and classically, you can deliver the enemy flag to your flag (base) which grants you a point AND REMOVING A POINT of the enemy with the captured flag.
    06 - ALTERNATIVELY, you can deliver an enemy's flag TO OTHER ENEMY BASE and get 2 points AND remove ONE POINT EACH from both enemies.
    07 - As always, you cannot move your flag except recovering it.
    08 - Maps should resemble a triange with the special delivery point (SDP) at the middle. You can always look at this triforce if its hard to visualize that. (:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	triforce.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	354947
    09 - If a player gets both enemy flags and delivers it to SDP, they will get 2 points AND removes one point each from both enemies.
    10 - If a player gets both enemy flags and delivers it to their base, they will get 4 points AND removes one point each from both enemies.

So, what do you think about it? (:

Also, check out my other Gametype Design, which is Volleyball!
    Last edited by Tycerax; 12-12-2014, 04:19 AM. Reason: Rules 9 & 10 added.
    Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

04 - Maps have a special delivery point (in the middle of the map) where you can deliver enemy flags which give you a point.
    that's a new one, it sounds interesting, however there is another thread that propose a 4 way CTF, so I'm thinking, what if we try combine both gametypes with regular ctf and instead of a new gametype it all depends on the map? and the same with vCTF, so everything is under one gametype and the maps offer the variation.

Another thing I would like to know is what happen to the team that runs out of points, are they put in spectator mode? are they redistributed to other teams? do they stay as rouge players?
    Adrenaline Mutator Concept / Multi Gametype Maps Concept /Character Creation Concept /Single Player Concept

Comment

This sounds like a crazy concept in a good way, could be quite a lot of fun. Map design is crucial here.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban-Shadow-001 View Post
        that's a new one, it sounds interesting, however there is another thread that propose a 4 way CTF, so I'm thinking, what if we try combine both gametypes with regular ctf and instead of a new gametype it all depends on the map? and the same with vCTF, so everything is under one gametype and the maps offer the variation.

Another thing I would like to know is what happen to the team that runs out of points, are they put in spectator mode? are they redistributed to other teams? do they stay as rouge players?
        Well, when I thought about how the gameplay will work in a 3-way shootout when the flags are taken; the answer I came up is simply "chaos". Because even with VoIP, it would be incredibly hard to act as a team when you can do a number of things in battlefield: Do you go for one of two enemies' flags? Or defend yours? Or take it back? Or leave it on the ground and defend like hell because one of teammates spotted an enemy flag carrier very close to your base and don't want the team to score? I can go on. (: So a 4-Way CTF can be overkill in terms of gameplay and map size. But, there should be playtests to actually test the idea. (:

Every team starts with 0 points, as usual. But you can go negative (maybe to a certain degree). Taking a flag to the center of the map is halfway to another base so teams can have points way faster than normal CTF games. The trick is, capturing the flag to an enemy base. Because when you do that, you automatically capture another flag! And if you're pro enough, you can do a lot of things with this gameplay mechanic. There will be a lot of angry players hunting for you though.. (:

There can be 3 victory conditions for 3CTF:

1 - Reach the capture point goal before anyone else.
        2 - Be with the most points when the timer ends.
        3 - (Special) Have positive score when the timer ends.

For the third, the teams may start with a number of points. As again, we'll need some testing to determine that and many other aspects. (:
        Last edited by Tycerax; 12-12-2014, 05:25 AM.
        Tiny Details That Should NOT Be Forgotten & Dynamic Arenas & UT4 Storyline - Story Design & Gametype Designs: Volleyball - 3-Way CTF & Smartphone/Tablet Integration

Comment

I don't like the idea of making a map so chaotic you really come down to luck to win, unless you get meta and co-ordinate out of game to screw the other team over. Plus you have the big problem to deal with that more teams = less teammates to organise + more enemies to deal with.

How about a simple yet scalable objective revision:

Goal area is a King Of The Hill objective, you only score if your team owns the entire point. Probably determine this with two Domination points in close vicinity and the goal in between so no team is too far away nor can snatch the goal from under the enemy too easily.

To win your team must simply split into two groups who will hold the hill or go after enemy flags. Your flag should be nested with your team's spawns and a bunch of pickups so your team can quickly get geared up after being killed and at the same time provide temporary defense until they get to the goal area.

Now you can have 20 teams if you're bat**** insane and it won't affect the overall strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceOracle View Post
            I don't like the idea of making a map so chaotic you really come down to luck to win, unless you get meta and co-ordinate out of game to screw the other team over. Plus you have the big problem to deal with that more teams = less teammates to organise + more enemies to deal with.

How about a simple yet scalable objective revision:

Goal area is a King Of The Hill objective, you only score if your team owns the entire point. Probably determine this with two Domination points in close vicinity and the goal in between so no team is too far away nor can snatch the goal from under the enemy too easily.

To win your team must simply split into two groups who will hold the hill or go after enemy flags. Your flag should be nested with your team's spawns and a bunch of pickups so your team can quickly get geared up after being killed and at the same time provide temporary defense until they get to the goal area.

Now you can have 20 teams if you're bat**** insane and it won't affect the overall strategy.
            I think there isn't a big difference about enemies. 6v6 and 4v4v4 is relatively close. Maps will be chaotic because there are 3 flags, 4 points to be secured and more options to get points. It's not like DM where you kill everyone on sight; so yes, for this map type to work it needs a decent amount of players, a decent coordination between them and a great map design.

I also think that points will go way higher than normal CTF and sometimes, temporary alliances can be made just to bring the winner down. It all adds up to the feeling that you are having choices and you are choosing on the fly. Nobody is giving you specific orders to do something (except the basic rules of the game/map), you simply want to do it your way and you aim for it. It's like Domination; defending or attacking is purely your choice. And you must act as a team.

With your solution (if I understood it correctly) to get points from the SDP, you'll need to hold a Domination style "locks" to get it open. I'm afraid that, doing so would bottleneck the map and players would secure one "lock" and focus on that so with 3 teams, every lock would be secured with at least a team and it would be truly a hassle to get it working for the flag carrier. Scoring one goal would be an incredible achievement, I imagine.

And again, we'll need some playtesting to get it to work properly and adjust it to be fun and balanced. (:

Comment

Great, my Internet dropped right after I finished writing a big post and Chrome lost it.

tl:dr No.

>Temporary alliances
              Which means a potential scenario where 1/3rd of your server gets locked in a 2:1 pubstomp. Bad idea.

Putting pressure on servers to keep themselves full all the time and mappers to make maps exclusively for a game mode with above average effort put into them is a bad idea.

Putting effort on the flag carrier to score on a map they only have to traverse half of to score is a bad idea? And yet without a lock if your average map is a Y and a circle you'll have a team attack an enemy base, take the flag, run back to their own base to regroup, then waltz onto the goal and score before they all die. Bonus points if they get there through a route that would force the team they stole from to pursue through your base by simply moving closer to the 3rd team's base. Alternatively you go to attack the enemy flag only to have an entire enemy team attack your own base from behind and if you left anyone behind they get stomped and the enemy team wins before you can breach the other team's defenses.

Without a lock you need your ENTIRE team to attack for a good chance of retrieving the flag, or else you're just opening yourself up for a pincer.
              Regardless of if you have a lock or not you can't let your team sit on an enemy base because it leaves your own flag vulnerable for being taken.
              Instead of dividing a team up three ways for two attacking teams and one defending, you can put a lock in and just have one defending team and one attacking team, easing the workload immensely across all of you.
              With a lock you can focus on one flag to take at a time and intercept two enemy teams at the same time. You only have to touch a lock to prevent the enemy scoring and make an effort with your returning attacking team to hold the other point and score.
              Without a lock the members of your team trying to defend a flag can easily be outnumbered, then forced to chase to the goal where the enemy already is and scored. Meanwhile your attacking team runs into the OTHER enemy team who scored, kills your attacking team and takes the flag to score themselves again.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceOracle View Post
                Great, my Internet dropped right after I finished writing a big post and Chrome lost it.

tl:dr No.

>Temporary alliances
                Which means a potential scenario where 1/3rd of your server gets locked in a 2:1 pubstomp. Bad idea.

Putting pressure on servers to keep themselves full all the time and mappers to make maps exclusively for a game mode with above average effort put into them is a bad idea.

Putting effort on the flag carrier to score on a map they only have to traverse half of to score is a bad idea? And yet without a lock if your average map is a Y and a circle you'll have a team attack an enemy base, take the flag, run back to their own base to regroup, then waltz onto the goal and score before they all die. Bonus points if they get there through a route that would force the team they stole from to pursue through your base by simply moving closer to the 3rd team's base. Alternatively you go to attack the enemy flag only to have an entire enemy team attack your own base from behind and if you left anyone behind they get stomped and the enemy team wins before you can breach the other team's defenses.
                Correction: You can take the map to your base, just like in normal CTF and gain more benefits. To summarize;

Take an enemy flag, return it to the SDP: Gain a point.
                Take an enemy flag, return it to the base: Gain a point AND remove one enemy point.
                Take an enemy flag, return it to the other enemy base: Get 2 points AND remove one point each from the enemies.

This is a choice where you can go for the glory or take the leadership bit by bit. Alternatively you can go true ninja and take the extreme glory by taking both flags to your base.

By "Temporary alliances" I don't mean going hand in hand with the enemy. I meant that if one team gets very ahead, the others might tolerate the flag carrier that goes to its base and not follow through to get the flag from a huge distance. It's like "He's gone, let's wait for their new flag." You may choose to attack one team and not to another. That is a "temporary alliance" for me.

Comment

I really cannot see how you can design a map to be fair when you have the option of taking the flag to an area not contested and heavily defended (anyone who dies respawns there instantly after all) and gain a larger advantage than just scoring for getting out of the enemy base into neutral territory. What you have there is a difference in time to score not difficulty to balance the reward, kinda like deciding to shoot or run in the bomb on Bombing Run. Either the neutral zone would have to become just empty space to traverse which might have a series of "high-ground vs. lab rat maze" interesting design that requires teamwork to get through safely or you remove the ability to score at home, which dedicates the entire map to no-man's land designs that allow any route to anywhere to try and score in the middle.

As it is you could do some interesting designs for One-flag mode which enables multiple teams (particularly if you can think of team-only routes that wouldn't allow the flag carrier access) since the flag would be contested by all three teams and you could invent some interesting level design that makes it possible to have the point stolen by a rival team more closer to your team's goal with launchpads or teleporters and the action would stay concentrated for all teams to ensure the scoring team has to work for their points with a home turf advantage.

It could be possible to split the mode into two sub modes that shares the same logic with only a few boolean checks. It wouldn't be much more complex than Assault. I think that would give mappers more freedom and a bit of a break if you did.

Empty NZ: The NZ is an obstacle that becomes a hazard with increased enemy presence who are not carrying the flag. If the "high road" is sufficiently high it can have glass walls block teams shooting each other but also blocking routes flag carriers can take to their home base, which forces anyone who tries to take it to go the low road which is exposed to shooters from any team camping on the high road. The high road has easy one-way access to the maze to grab dropped flags but then they must race other teams that move to do the same. Call it something like "Lab Rats"

No bases: Taking inspiration from my BR comment, it can be possible to make more exposed but better scoring goals by converting the NZ into a tower area where to score more you must scale higher while exposed to snipers and maybe base turrets. If you don't have a lot of time or want to secure a lead fast, or even maybe end the game early, going big or going home is the way to go. There's no shortcuts up the tower but maybe it can be designed to slide the flag into a reset/death zone in the middle, or just off the tower.

Comment

Working...
                  X